“Perfect for a special occasion!”
Review of Wineport Lodge

Wineport Lodge
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Reviewed 8 August 2012

Booked a one night break away for a special occasion - we needed to relax and recharge the batteries. From the outset, we were very impressed with the hotel. Location on the waterfront was amazing, the room we booked was a "suite" and it was just fantastic - huge room, large very comfy bed and couch, amazing bathroom, lovely balcony. It's a pity about the weather... but the owners and staff of wineport can't change the weather (more's the pity!!)
We had a bite to eat in the bar and i cannot speak highly enough about the standard of food. It was so good that i couldn't wait for our dinner later that evening.
The food in the restaurant is in one word "AMAZING", would go back this minute for dinner! While the one night break is certainly not cheap - in recessionary times, it's hard to justify spending the money (can get a few nights break elsewhere for the same price!) it is definitely worth every penny for a special occasion. I will definitely be returning again for the food alone!
One small thing i might recommend, would be a bit more "choice" on the t.v channel end. Although, with the option to get a dvd from reception, this is not really a necessity.
All in all we enjoyed our night in Wineport & hopefully will return in the not so distant future.

Room Tip: All rooms have a balcony, but the "suites" are much more spacious!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,146)

Reviewed 2 August 2012

I have just come back from the Wineport with my Husband and we had a fantastic three nights stay. I booked through the hotels website and I must say from the minute we booked till we left this morning the staff could not have been nicer. We got a great deal for three nights on the internet. When we arrived we got a lovely welcome and we were shown to our room which had been upgraded to a suite. I had a treatment the day we arrived and it was fantastic the staff could not have been nicer. Nothing was to much trouble. We had breakfast in our room each morning and it was very good and freshly made. You should try the pancakes they are fab. We totally relaxed and feel very refreshed after our stay. This is a hidden gem and they are doing a great job. It should also be noted that they have implemented the 5% jobs incentive discount and it is great to see a hotel like this doing it. My Husband and I had stayed in Wineport two years ago but I think it is a totally different place. The staff really make. If you want complete relaxation and to get away from it all you should come here. We also ate in the restaurant and the food and setting were fab.

We will be back again and again and I would not hesitate in recommending this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MayLouth
Reviewed 2 August 2012

The Wineport has been on my list for years and finally this week I was able to stay. When we checked in we were given an upgrade to The Captain's Suite. All I can say is that the room was unbelievable! We were both delighted and very grateful for the upgrade. Unfortunately the weather was not that great but that did not damper our stay. I booked a spa treatment and the whole experience was fantastic. Dinner was delicious and loved the view from the restaurant. I wish I could eat the Goat Cheese Croquettes on a daily basis. The staff were extremely friendly and professional. We would definitely recommend the Wineport and hope to return some day.

Reviewed 1 August 2012

We stayed here for one night and it was just wonderful. The scenery is breathtakingly beautiful and all the rooms have a lakeview. But I also loved the hotel interior which was very tastefully decorated. Both my husband and I suffer a bit from backaches/stiffness but there was no such complaint here. I had a wonderful nights sleep (much needed with a 15month old at home!). However, it was the food that was absolutely stand out for me. The dinner was just fabulous - we both had the 28 day aged steak for mains which was absolutely melt in the mouth! And I can honestly say that the buttermilk pancakes for breakfast were the best I have ever tasted - fluffy, soft and oh so delicious. I had a massage as well which was very relaxing and the treatment rooms were beautiful. I will definitely be back - hopefully for longer next time!

Reviewed 29 July 2012

We stayed here for a night last weekend,we booked for one night b&b and an evening meal. we were welcomed by the friendly and very professional receptionist who chatted and let us know of their facilities while showing us to our room.
We booked treatments in the spa and it was the most relaxed i'd been in years, christine was top class and would recommend anybody to try the spa here.
Dinner was... lets just say UNREAL! while waiting for our starter we were given a little espresso cup of (if i'm correct) carrot,ginger and coriander soup, which was just delicious, the ham hock starter was to die for main we both had the steak.....oh my god that steak, i've simply never tasted such fantastic steak in my entire life, and whats funny is i'm a butcher by trade!! it was so tender and succulent and the flavor was just second to none compliments to the chef and kitchen staff. the restaurant was busy but there was loads of lovely pleasant staff (especially ronda and the girl in the bar) to keep everyone's needs attended to.
we used the hot tub twice too which is a lovely relaxing feature. the room was gorgeous with a beautiful view but maybe one little thing is that if the trees were pruned to balcony level the view could be enjoyed that little bit more. the shower was ever so slightly lacking in power also but look, it in no way had any affect on the amazing night and day we spent in the wonderful wineport. we'll definitely be back sooner rather than later.

Reviewed 27 July 2012

Dont do many reviews as I stay in hotels for work. But for family and pleasure this is one of the best I have stayed it, attention to detail, the food, the location. Outstanding. Plus I have photos that you would not believe are from here. It's worth the little extra.

Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank David K
oliviaanne, General Manager at Wineport Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2012

Dear David K,

Thank you for your review. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.

Best Regards, Norma Wilson

Reviewed 24 July 2012

We spent a weekend at the Wineport Lodge and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. It is nestled away in the countryside right on the lake, literally! There is a lovely terrace to sit out on and the water's edge is less than 10 metres away. There is a small jetty and as we were standing there about 20 ducks swam up looking for food, and shortly after that a swan plus four cygnets. So adorable. On check in we were greeted with a very warm welcome and were shown to our room by a very charming young man. The room was heaven - plenty of space, very well laid out, spotless and very comfortable - the bed was so large I couldn't locate my husband! We had sliding doors leading out onto a balcony which looks out onto the lake through some trees. Lovely linen robes and slippers were available plus complimentary mineral water. Breakfast was supberb - kippers, roasted field mushrooms as well as the usual continental or full irish breakfast. We had dinner on the second night and it was also fantastic. A great selection of very delicious food and they made sure we didn't go hungry. The service was excellent and they were very helpful on recommending wines etc. Overall a thoroughly enjoyable stay. All the staff were so friendly, helpful and extremely polite. One of the best things about it was the noise -there was none! Just the sound of the lake, relaxed chatter and the tinkling of wine glasses - a perfect way to spend a weekend away in Ireland. Thanks guys.

1  Thank taratrip

Dear taratrip,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to hopefully seeing you again!

Best Regards, Norma Wilson