“A little slice of heaven!”
Review of Wineport Lodge

Wineport Lodge
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Dún Laoghaire, Dublin, Ireland
“A little slice of heaven!”
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Just back from a wonderful weekend in the Wineport lodge. Fantastic views of Lough Ree from our large bedroom with a beautiful balcony. Excellent meals in the wonderful restaurant. Hot Tub with lake views and wonderful massages!

My partner proposed here (yes its that romantic) and everyone was so friendly and congratulatory! It really added something special for this occasion for us.

We will definitely be back here... highly recommended for a weekend getaway, relaxation and romance!

Thanks to the wonderful team at Wineport!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Norma W, General Manager at Wineport Lodge, responded to this review, 28 December 2013
Dear Barry M,

Thank you for posting your wonderful review.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Best Regards, Norma

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

We came to Newport Lodge to celebrate being together ten years. We were looking for a romantic getaway (having secured a babysitter for our busy two year old!). Boy did we pick the perfect place. From the moment we entered reception I could feel my shoulders relax and I left all the busy thoughts of every day life at the door. All the staff are so welcoming and seem genuinely interested in chatting. Our room was lovely, though smaller than I'd hoped but warm decor and very comfy. The bathroom had a nice bath and separate shower. The only fault I could find was the portal window between the bathroom and bedroom. A nice feature during the day but it meant if one of us wanted to use the bathroom during the night we couldn't switch on the light as it flooded the bedroom with light. We had dinner in the hotel and it was exquisite. From starters through to dessert and wines recommended it was faultless. Well seasoned and bursting with flavour. This hotel is a real haven. I personally wouldn't consider it suitable for families as children would disturb the tranquility (especially for anyone lucky enough to leave the madness at home!). We will definitely return in the future.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear chefsmrs21,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

We really appreciate it.

Hopefully, we'll see you soon again!

galway
Reviewed 28 November 2013

We stayed here just after halloween for two nights. We had a suite overlooking the lake and looking onto the outdoor hot tub. Although it was cold outside, it was heaven sitting in the hot tub. We had dinner the first evening and my partner declared it 20 out of ten. The wine was perfect. Breakfast on both mornings was superb and nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff. I had a treatment in the spa which was lovely. All in all, this is the place for a break away from everything.

Room Tip: Try and upgrade to a suite as the regular bedrooms are quite small, having the extra bit of room mak...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear elainecb09,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I loved my recent trip away to the Wineport Lodge on a girls weekend away. The place is heavenly. You are only a few minutes off the busy Dublin to Galway road and yet once there you feel you are relaxing in a Lodge in the middle of the woods - it is so peaceful and serene here with the panoramic views of the lake and the surrounding trees. The rooms are 5 star - extremely comfortable and spacious. The food is fabulous and the staff are exceptional. It is a little pricey but if you think you or a loved one deserves a treat book the Wine Port - I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: ask for lake view room
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Yvonne S,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.

Athlone, Ireland
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Myself and my wife stayed here last night for an over night break for my wifes birthday.
This hotel has to be the most relaxing place I have ever been. I have stayed in tons of hotels overs throughout Ireland over the years, but none like the Wineport!
We did not have to lift a finger, at one point the girl working in the bar offered to carry my drink from the bar to the restaurant... talk about service! I did refuse the offer, but it was definitely one of those things that makes this place a great place to stay. For dinner, I had the steak and chips. I can be very fussy about my steak and how its cooked, but the chef managed to get it just perfect and the peppered sauce was just right drizzled over the top of the steak. The chips were pretty good too, skins left on, just the way I like them! perfect!
The staff could not have been friendlier, ensuring you had everything you needed to make your stay as comfortable as possible. We had a suite on the ground floor which was very comfortable indeed, with a deck that was literally almost hanging over the lake, with some of the best views of the lakes I have ever woken up to.
Breakfast this morning was beautiful. I don't eat tomato or runny eggs, so i didn't try them, but everything else was so nice I ate not just my own, but ate my wife's breakfast too.
All in All, this hotel has it all, and them some. Yes, it does come at a price in comparison to other hotels, but what you get for that price is simply amazing. We will be returning to the Wineport Lodge again.

Room Tip: Room 201 is one of the bigger suites on the ground floor with (what it looked like to us) the larges...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Norma W, General Manager at Wineport Lodge, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Dear Eoin H,

Many thanks for taking the time to post a lovely review.

We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us,

I am delighted to hear that you found the staff could not have been friendlier, ensuring that you had everything you needed.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Wineport Lodge.

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Just left the Wineport Lodge Restaurant after having a delicious meal.

We would highly recommend the Lebanese fried chicken for starters....Possibly the nicest starter in the world..!!!

Staff were very friendly, pleasant and very helpful..

Will be back again...

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Kathrina L,

Many thanks for taking the time to write this nice review,

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your meal and that you found your meal delicious,

We would be delighted to welcome you back in the future.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I visited here last month with my mother. We had a really enjoyable, relaxing one-night stay. The room was really nice with a great panoramic view of the lake.It wasn't hugely spacious, but suited us fine. We arrived around lunchtime and after checking in, enjoyed a light lunch in the bar. Throughout our stay, the staff were incredibly friendly and efficient and in fact they contributed massively to our enjoyment of the hotel. The evening meal in the restaurant was delicious. Our first visit, it most definitely won't be our last.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank irish67dublin
Norma W, General Manager at Wineport Lodge, responded to this review, 12 January 2014
Dear irish67dublin,

Many thanks for taking the time to write such a nice review,

We are thrilled to hear your stay was enjoyable and relaxing. We are delighted you found the staff incredibly friendly and efficient.

We would be delighted to welcome you back in the future.