“Relaxing and Blissful”
Review of Wineport Lodge

Wineport Lodge
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Reviewed 24 February 2014

This is a wee hidden gem. My partner and I stayed here mid week for a relaxing break. I booked the hotel a good month in advance. I had emailed back and forth about certain requests and all were met very graciously. On arrival we were shown to our room by the girl who checked us in. We entered the room and found a note from Norma, the general manager, stating she had taken the opportunity to upgrade us to a suite. The room was beautiful with a balcony and a view to die for. As organised, there was a bottle of champagne on ice and glasses in the fridge cooling. The water in the room was complimentary and it was also explained that we could order breakfast to the room free of charge. We thought this was an unusual but very nice touch and we made the most of it. There are 2 hot tubs outside which sit in a perfect position in front of the lake, so the view from them were amazing. We could have spent hours in there. The relaxation room beside the hot tubs was also a great idea. There were 2 reclined beds, tea and coffee making facilities and water, all complimentary. We chilled out mostly in the lounge area during the day, playing scrabble and having a few drinks. Wherever you choose to sit, whether it be by the wood burning stove in the lounge, or the wood burning stove in the sun room extension, you will feel relaxed and have that second to none view of the lake. The staff were very attentive and make you feel very comfortable. We also had dinner one of the nights in the restaurant. Again, an extremely nice setting with a view of the lake and the food delicious...... perhaps a little pricey but the choice for all courses, the presentation and the taste very impressive. We will most definitely return to this ideallic setting on the lake and spend more time here. I would highly recommend this hotel for a quiet, romantic, relaxing and very chilled break away from it all. It will be particularly blissful in the summer.

Room Tip: Ask for good lake view room or upgrade to the suite.....well worth it!!
1  Thank caprindev
Norma W, General Manager at Wineport Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Dear caprindev,

Thank you for taking the time to post your great review.

I am thrilled to read how much you enjoyed your stay & look forward to welcoming you back.

There are newer reviews for Wineport Lodge

Reviewed 23 February 2014

I was lucky enough to get to spend a night here with my husband for my 30th Birthday. It's somewhere that I had always wanted to stay in and I was definitely not disappointed. We arrived to check in and were promptly shown to our room by a very friendly lady. We had booked a suite but were upgraded to the Captains Suite which was a huge surprise! It's a split level suite with 2 bathrooms, dressing room & separate seating area. It has a lovely balcony and superb views. We got complimentary homemade cookies in the room which were delicious.

Before dinner, we had a relaxing drink in the bar where we were given the menus and made our dinner selections. We were shown to our table shortly after and our starters arrived then. One thing I loved is that the waiters never had to ask who ordered which dish, they just knew. Everything is very professional and friendly. Food was of a very high standard and presented perfectly. Portions are very big, which for us is never a bad thing! Nothing worse than getting a tiny portion and leaving hungry. It's no surprise that Wineport get many awards of excellence.

The room was perfect and peaceful, ensuring a good night's sleep. It was lovely to wake up in such a large suite with spectacular views. Breakfast was also delicious with a huge selection of everything. I had tea which was actual tea leaves, rather than the usual teabag.

All in all we had a wonderful night which ended all too fast. We hope to be lucky enough to visit Wineport again this summer for our Wedding Anniversary!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Lovely270,

I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed your birthday celebrations with us.

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

We look froward to seeing you again this Summer.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

We arrived on a chilly wet evening to Wineport Lodge and were warmly welcomed by a young lady who showed us to our room .What a room! It was large, warm and beautifully decorated with dressing room and large bathroom ensuite. We had a wonderful view of the lake and two large swans sailed past the window just to welcome us.
We had pre dinner drinks in a nice relaxed room and then ordered our dinner. The food was delicious and well presented and nothing was too much trouble for the staff.
Lovely breakfast next morning and headed home.
I love this place and can't wait to go back and try out the hot tub and treatment room. Thank you for a lovely night.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Norma W, General Manager at Wineport Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2014

Dear Miriam L,

Many thanks for your recent review of Wineport Lodge.

I was delighted to read that you were impressed with your room and found your stay very relaxing.

Hopefully we will welcome you back for another stay in the near future.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 20 February 2014

We're recently back from a two night stay at Wineport Lodge. We were looked after so nicely by all the staff and felt very special during our stay. When we arrived we found out that we had been upgraded to the Captain's Suite, which was a lovely surprise. We were absolutely delighted as it is a fab split level suite, which is the honeymoon suite! We booked a package which included dinner and spa treatments. We enjoyed the food in the restaurant and the bar. The Bollinger Bar is a great place to sit and relax. There is a good selection of wines and cocktails. It was nice that there were some non alcoholic cocktails to choose from too as I'm pregnant and it makes a change from having water or a 7up! We had breakfast in the room one morning to take advantage of the room. There is no additional charge for having it in your room. We both had great massages with Cathy. There are two treatment rooms. It's all the little touches that make this place so special and relaxing.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear traveladdict041,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review.

I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay in the fabulous Captain's Suite.

The Bollinger Lounge is a lovely place to relax and I'm delighted you took the opportunity to try a non alcoholic cocktail from our menu.

I will pass your kind words on to Cathy and the team in our Treatment Suite.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 17 February 2014

I would think this is a couples only retreat. I recently stayed here for two nights with my boyfriend over Valentines, the real downside was the weather but that can't be helped. The location of the hotel itself is idyllic sitting right on the lake with floor to ceiling windows in the bedrooms. We enjoyed the comfort of the Bollinger Lounge and the staff were lovely and friendly. We ate in the hotel on our first night, the food was good but we felt a little overpriced. We did enjoy two fab massages the next day and enjoyed the relaxation room and the outdoor hot tub was a real treat. Like I said, strictly couples though. I had rang the hotel two days prior to arrival to book massages and they asked for my name and number so they could get back to me, which they didn't, luckily they had two free appointments otherwise I would have been very disappointed!!

Dear Katiw M,

Thank you for taking the post to post your review.

I appreciate your feedback & points made will be considered.

I apologize that your phone call in relation to treatments had not been returned.

Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed on a Sunday night, very relaxing, the staff were very welcoming and up for having a chat and a laugh. Taking things easy and relaxing was the order of the day, but everything was still punctual. Food was amazing, views were lovely, overall spot on.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear James M,

I really appreciate you taking the time to post this review on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted you enjoyed your meal and found our staff so welcoming.

Hopefully we will see you back again soon.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 13 February 2014

Had a meal in wine port recently, was very disappointed. Food was fine but not worth the price been charged. When we had paid we walked out by two members of staff, Stephen and lady on reception and neither asked had we enjoyed our meal, said thanks hope you come again or even goodbye. Land of a thousand welcomes, don't think so! Basic courtesy should be standard, sorry won't be back again and obviously you don't care or your staff would be better mannered.

2  Thank scooby40

Dear scooby40,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I appreciate your feedback & the points you have made.

How are customers are made feel is of the utmost importance to us.

I wish to apologise to you on behalf of my colleagues.

Your experience has been discussed at our team meeting to ensure this does not happen again.