“Very Relaxing”
Review of Wineport Lodge

Wineport Lodge
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Reviewed 23 April 2014

A liitle Oasis just over an hour from Dublin, Perfect setting tranquility at its finest , Lacks the pretend formality of the corporate group hotels which is very refreshing, Staff are very attentive and friendly , It's different for sure , Quaint little reception but very efficient and friendly , we were in a groundfloor lakeside suite and it was lovely, housekeeping was excellent...the sonas sound system is brilliant sadly we couldnt get ours to work for the first couple of days but we told Maura and hey presto.... fantastic selection of easly listening while relaxing and watching the shimmering sun go down accross the lake,
Restaurant was excellent we stayed for 3 days and extended by 1 more and at that stage we had well and truly tested the Menu and we cant fault it, the wine we selected was unavailable but the Restaurant upgraded our choice without upgrading the cost ,
If you want to hide away this is the spot 9/10 enjoy...

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jimmy K
Norma W, General Manager at Wineport Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear Jimmy K,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Hopefully we will see you soon again!

Norma

Write a ReviewReviews (1,130)

Reviewed 19 April 2014

We had read about The Captains Suite in The Wineport Lodge in Ireland's Blue Book and had always said if we got a chance we would go ..just to spoil ourselves. In August 2013, my husband checked availability and could not believe that the captains suite was free for the Sat/Sun of my birthday at the end of March 2014. He booked it, got the confirmation it was booked and then the long wait through winter began. About three weeks before we were due to go, hubby received an email asking him to confirm his booking for a riverside suite, clearly incorrect, he emailed back and said definitely not, it's the captains suite.
The following day, the general manager, Norma phoned him and very apologetically said a wedding was booked and we could no longer have the room on the Saturday night as it was for the bride and groom. I was gutted, after getting in so early to get it and looking forward to it for so long, just to be bumped like that, well...you can imagine how you would feel ...like a second class citizen. It annoyed me to the point that I thought I would never darken it's door. Norma offered us an alternative suite for the night complimentary and assured hubby we would be well looked after if we came ahead and then we could still have our second night in the captains suite. It took me a few days to agree but after all that I was really glad I didn't let it put me off.
Norma was true to her word and the suite she had for us was lovely, I can't imagine there was a nicer one..it was called Cantanec, with a balcony reaching out into the lough and swans below the window. We dumped our bags, went to the bar and sampled several cocktails which were rocket fuel ..no skimping on alcoholic content, that's for sure. We ate in the restaurant that night, Norma met us at the door and showed us to our table and throughout the rest of our meal, was very hands on ..which was a nice touch. The meal was fantastic...truly...the chef sent out a little cup of soup which was so tasty, the bread too was beautiful. I had chicken, my hubby had the pork belly and he raved about it. One of the nicest meals we have ever had !
The next morning we had breakfast in our room which was lovely , looking out at the lake, so relaxing. It came lovely and hot and loads to eat. We went for a look round Kilbeggan Whiskey Distillery in the afternoon and on our return, our bags had already been moved to the captains suite for our second night. The suite is 2 stories, 2 bathrooms, a TV on each floor and a full length window with the beautiful views of the lake. We decided after the rich food of the night before to just snack of the bar menu on the 2nd night which was fine.
In the end, I think I preferred the first suite we were in ! We both thoroughly enjoyed our stay, the staff were friendly and professional and I couldn't fault anything about the place. I loved the cat theme everywhere too !
Norma recovered a bad situation really well and I'm so glad she did put so much effort in as we loved the whole homely feel of the place and definitely will be back.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank finnsaunders
Norma W, General Manager at Wineport Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Dear finnsaunders,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit to us.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best Regards, Norma

Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

Just returned from the Wineport Lodge after a 2 night break to mark our anniversary. We were very impressed by this hotel. We had a standard room and it was lovely. Room felt really comfortable with a beautiful balcony looking directly on to the water. We spent a lot of our time eating, reading and relaxing on the balcony. Breakfast was very good. Make sure you try the scones. Lovely fry too. We had dinner in the bar the first night and it was lovely. We ate in the restaurant the second night and again it was perfect. The hotel has a lovely small warm feel to it. We will definitely return. Well worth it!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Norma W, General Manager at Wineport Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2014

Dear Eoghan O,

Thank you for posting your great review.

I am delighted you enjoyed your visit to us so much.

I will pass on your compliments.

General manager

Reviewed 13 April 2014

My husband and I stayed in one of the suites in the Wineport Lodge for 2 nights. We received a lovely welcome on our arrival and were very well looked after by the helpful and friendly staff. The room had a lovely view overlooking the lake but was rather chilly and had central heating that came through the air conditioning which we found left the air very dry and was rather noisy. Very comfortable bed but the couch was old uncomfortable and a bit tatty with a throw over it. Not what you would expect to find in a suite!! Lovely bathroom with nice under floor heating.The restaurant was lovely and the food excellent served by a very helpful staff who looked after our every need. We enjoyed our stay but it was rather pricey for a suite which in fact you could only call a large room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is warm.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Anne M,

Thank you taking the time to post your review.

I am happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Hopefully, we will see you again!

Reviewed 29 March 2014

My husband and I have just returned from this beautiful lakeside lodge after spending 2 nights celebrating our 21st wedding anniversary. From the minute we arrived until we sadly had to say goodbye we were made feel extra special. Norma and her front of house team quickly get to know all their guests so by the end of our first day we already felt like part of the family, it's the little touches that make this place special like first names on our key card to a note wishing us happy anniversary at our dinner table, the basket of blankets to use if going outside for fresh air and not to mention the glass of champagne and gin treat from Norma. On arrival we were shown to our beautiful suite with a large balcony overlooking the lake. All rooms face onto the lake and have a balcony with table and chairs. The lodge is filled with stoves in lots of nooks and crannies, there's even one outside for the smokers.
At dinner we met Mantas, again he was very friendly but professional. We were so impressed with the service and food that we booked the same table for our second night. At lunch the next day Mantas offered excellent advice around wine selection for dinner that evening which involved a mini tasting session.......... We were not disappointed with our selection!!
So thank you to all staff at wineport lodge for making the last 3 days special, we will definitely see you all again. Sharon and Joe

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Norma W, General Manager at Wineport Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Dear Joe R,

Thank you for taking the time to post your wonderful review.

We are all so pleased that you enjoyed your visit to us.

We hope to see you both soon again!

Best Regards, Norma

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Arrived at Wineport Lodge on St.Patricks Day. Our room was as expected. It was lovely overlooking the lake. The bar food menu had a nice variety of food on the menu and not overly priced. We opted to eat in the Restaurant that evening, I must say the food was excellent. My ribeye was melt in your mouth. Well presented and good portion size. The only gripe was that the service in the Restaurant was very rushed. A waiter who did not have time to interact with us or the other customers, he placed the plates down at great speed. If the waiter had conversed more with us it would have enhanced our meal experience at Wineport. Unfortunately this did not happen. Shame!

I must say the only staff member that did make us feel welcome was the Barman Eamon. He had a lovely approach with customers and was very professional. If the waiter with broken english in the restaurant did not rush around and gave more attention to detail on the night then our night in Wineport would have been perfect. Maybe more staff is needed there? or more staff training? In saying that I will be back to give Wineport another go.

1  Thank happyavy
Norma W, General Manager at Wineport Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Dear happyavy,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I appreciate your feedback & have taken your comments into consideration.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Wineport in the future.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed for three nights in the Wineport lodge a few weeks ago to get a break away from work. Firstly I must say ...What a location, we awoke each morning to swans in front of our room and the sun rising over the lake. The views are was just breathtaking and the overall ambience is one of relaxation and a home away from home with open fires and boardgames and endless activities to entertain you. The location is so serene and it is important to note that this is a lodge and not a hotel. It is a family run establishment where everyone knows your name and are exceptionally pleasant. The food is certainly not the strongest point of this location, and at best I would describe it as very large portions with intricate descriptions that lead to disappointment. The homemade bread is divine but I felt that they attempted fine dining which resulted in good bistro food. The choice to book the Wineport was purely for some quiet time and for this it was exactly what we wanted. The spa is just two treatment rooms where two members of staff do all treatments from manicures to hot stone massage so please do not expect a state of the art spa. The treatment rooms are lovely and the treatments are really nice and a great treat to help you unwind. I hope I am not under selling this place as I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish and the staff were fantastic but once again I reiterate it is a lodge and not a luxury hotel but well worth a trip for the location alone which is unparalleled.

Room Tip: A view of the lake is a must !

Dear vonserelli,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

As with all of our reviews, I will be sharing & discussing yours with the rest of the team.

Hopefully, we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Wineport.