“3 Days of Bliss!!!”
Review of Wineport Lodge

Wineport Lodge
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Reviewed 15 September 2009

Stayed here at the end of August for three nights and a more relaxed few days would have been hard to find. When we arrived we found we had been upgraded to a suite which was lovely. Restaurant was very good, maybe one or two small issues but on the whole we had three great meals. Breakfast on our balcony (without extra room service charge!!) every morning was perfect, great way to start the day. All the staff were very helpful and friendly and we will defiantly be back again soon.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
may64, Owner at Wineport Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2010

Dear derwhits,

We were delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the Wineport Lodge Hotel.

Thanks for taking the time to post your wonderful review on Trip Advisor.
On behalf of all the staff, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Wineport Lodge in the near future.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 15 September 2009

We stayed here for 2 nights. The level of service was excellent. We were given a room upgrade. We were brought to the room where a complimentary bottle of wine was waiting for us. We were then served tea and scones in the room. A really good start to a relaxing and very pleasant stay. We ate in the restaurant both nights. The food is great as is the service. The wine list is extensive and very well laid out.
The room had a wonderful view and was really comfortable. The bed and pillows were perfect for a good nights sleep. The breakfast is good and having it in the room is just such a nice luxury. Throughout our stay everyone was very pleasant and efficient and the atmosphere in the place makes it so relaxing and a great place to chill-out.
A return visit would be a very enticing prospect.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple

Dear Briannewman,

Many thanks for your comments and we were delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay.

Hopefully we will get to welcome you back to the Wineport Lodge in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 28 August 2009

Just back from our first stay at Wineport Lodge and already planning a return visit. We loved every minute of it. From the receptionists on arrival and on duty during our stay to the bar and wait staff, everyone was super friendly and attentive.

I have some different needs as a wheelchair user and felt these were accommodated in a way that was throughtful and considerate - without making any fuss about it.

We felt so welcomed and like all the staff cared just about us - there was complete sincerity and none of the false "I'm only doing this because I get paid to" attitude that you can often find in customer service.

The hotel itself is in a beautiful setting and you feel the stress leaving you as soon as you see that divine view.

We stayed in Pauillac - best 3 nights sleep I've had in ages. The room is huge with a super kingsize bed and separate seating area looking out over the lake. Its decorated in a muted natural way, with lots of wood cabinetry (made by the owner's brother apparently), with earth colours and use of natural materials such as leather, wool and silk. There were feather pillows and duvet, fluffy robes and slippers, aircon and underfloor heating, super power shower and flat screen TV, not to mention L'Occitane toilietries. Our room had three huge windows and a balcony overlooking the lake.

We had complimentary wine on arrival - which is apparently themed to the wine region your room is named after - my husband was disappointed not to be in the Jameson's room - just kidding! and water available throughout our stay, plus a nicely stocked and not too expensive minibar.

I have only a couple of tiny criticisms of the room - the way the wardrobe faces makes it really difficult to access - might just be a problem for me with the wheelchair - and also there was a DVD player in the room but nothing to tell us if DVDs were available. As I said just tiny things and when you compare it to everything that is right about the hotel, really insignificant. Who needs a DVD when you have that view!

The area round our room was very quiet - we had a couple with a baby next door and didn't hear anything plus no TV noise from other rooms.

We had dinner two nights during our stay - one complimentary, excluding drinks. Everything we ate was delicious. Some of the menu choices took me out of my comfort zone of the normal type of things I usually eat, so I was a little unsure at first, but the bar and wait staff were all able to advise on the options, explaining what was in dishes and making recommendations. I liked that you could have a drink in the bar and order your food there before going into the restaurant - it made it more relaxed. Over the 2 nights we had: selection of terrines with home-made pickles, mussels in coriander and chili broth, seabass with roasted vegetable stew, veal with pine nuts and raisins in sherry, pigeon with stuffed cabbage rolls and cassis jus and lamb; summer berry trio and baileys profiteroles. I was too full the second night to have a dessert, but had been eyeing up the mango pavlova and the cheeseboard - both looked scrumptious.

Breakfast was a great choice too. Fruit, cereal, yoghurt, pastries, homemade breads with cheese and salmon to start followed by a good choice of hot food - Full Irish, Pancakes with bacon and maple syrup, porridge with fruits, kippers and scrambled eggs with smoked salmon. All with your choice of teas, coffees or even hot chocolate.

There was a good balance between being looked after and our needs being taken care of but not feeling like we were being watched or rushed. We didn't ever feel that the wait staff neglected us or took too long.

The hotel is highly recommended for its food, which I completely understand, but the accommodation and service deserve their own credits too.

Some reviews have said that the place is expensive - we overall find that food and drink is more expensive than at home, but as we got a 3 nights for 2 package, with dinner included in one night, we actually felt it worked out at really good value - we had a real sense of getting a lot for what we paid and also of the cost being worth it since we were so well looked after.

I really can't praise Wineport Lodge highly enough and can't wait till I'm able to visit again.

Dear Mbe_amethyst,

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor.

We were delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and as we always say, it's easy to look after nice people!

We hope to see you back at the Wineport Lodge in the future.

Reviewed 11 August 2009

My husband and I attend to a family member's wedding. The place is just fab and the backdrop to the wedding was the the lake. We had the place to ourselves which really worked out. The dinner was also amazing, would like to highlight the dessert specially.
the new rooms are spacious and very modern. all rooms have the lake view which is very impressive and relaxing. would reccommend the place for weddings and also for a quiet weekend with your other half.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple

Dear AlphaB

We were delighted to read your review on trip advisor. Thank you for posting it.

We have passed on your great comments to our colleagues throughout the hotel.

We do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to the Wineport Lodge again very soon.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 10 August 2009

My husband and I returned to the Wineport in July for a week-end of pure relaxation. We were last there in 2006. It was wonderful from the moment we arrived until we left. Staff are so friendly and helpful. Our beautiful room 'Provence' was perfect and the interior is certainly a WOW factor.

Dinner on the Saturday night proved to be just as wonderful as we had remembered from our first trip - an added bonus though was 'Frankie' entertaining us without being intrusive. The hotel has a brilliant new summer menu and compliments must surely go to the chef and his team as the food was delicious. Excellent Food & Wine, in a very romantic setting are the ingredients for a perfect week-end and thats what we had.
After dinner we retired to the lounge and enjoyed a couple of iced bailey's. We were certainly chilled .
The following morning a cooked breakfast (and newspaper) arrived to our room and again everything was delicious . We actually ate breakfast on the balcony in our fluffy white robes with the gentle sound of the River Shannon below us. You can't get more a more perfect setting than that. I think The Wineport is the only hotel that can even make breakfast romantic.
Even the accommodation assistants had a smile as we passed them in the corridors. We won't wait so long until our next visit thats for sure.

As we were leaving we noticed the staff setting up for a wedding due in later that day and I can't think of a more perfect setting for such a special occasion
Thank you to everyone at the Wineport.

Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
may64, Owner at Wineport Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2010

Dear Rorylake,

Thank you for your kind words posted on Trip Advisor,

We were delighted to read that you enjoyed your second stay with us here at The Wineport Lodge.

We hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 10 August 2009

Just back from a one night stay with my husband-to-be at the Wineport and I must say it was a truly wonderful experience! My partner and I made a lastminute reservation on the day of arrival as we wanted an escape to relax and unwind and boy is this the place to do it! The initial arrival was quirky due to the local County Councils mad road works which means you have to go the long way round and pass a ROAD CLOSED sign to get to the Hotel and it meant that our first impressions were of the rear overflow carpark and service doors but dont be swayed by this... once you get round the right end (and I say end becuse one side of the hotel is the main road and the entire front of the property is on the huge expanse of the lakeside - beautiful!!) of the hotel everything looks far nicer! The appearence of the hotel is better explained in the name Wineport LODGE as the building looks small and unoptrusive in its surroundings - Ive read reviews here from people who did not like the lodges exterior but i felt it fitted snuggly into the trees and waterside location and was far more esthetically pleasing than say a big cube of concrete dominating the skyline -who wants glass and concrete and metal when you can have such a natural appearence of calm and beauty?!. Check-in starts from around 4pm but as we had arrived early we took a drink and a cheese plate in the bar -tea and coffee was promptly offered and I had a tea which turned out to be complementary) we met a very attentive polite and friendly bar staff member who was so helpful and apologised for any inconvenience caused by the roadworks (even though the work was nothing to do with the hotel!) Our room was ready early and we made dinner reservations - the room was a true luxury experience given how some hotels promote their pathetic shambolic accomodation as being "luxury " it was really refreshing to see things done as they should be - escorted to bedroom by member of staff - complemetary small bottle of wine, (which we were free to exchange in the well stocked mini bar for a chilled one), sumptious bathrobes and slippers, L'occitane bath products, proper bath sheet size towels, the best quality matress I have slept on in a hotel in a very long time (proper size matress not two singles shoved together!! Hate that!!) the most sumptious and snuggle worthy duvet and pillows you could wish for and a discrete view of the lake. We freshened up and relaxed for a few hours and then headed to dinner - it was really lovely everyone was enjoying a relaxing pre-dinner drink and the guests were relaxed but people made the effort to dress nicely and enjoy the evening without being snooty or stuck-up! candles were lit on the lakside decking and the whole place was relaxed and friendly we were shown to a comfy couch in the bar where orders for drinks and a chace to browse the menu for dinner itself before orders were taken and the pace here was never rushed even though the dining room was full and we had an 8pm reservation- staff were excellent - professional and confident in their service while remaining discrete, as orders were taken in the bar it meant that when we were brought to our table everything was ready - our wine of choice at the tableside and we had our starters minutes later - I loved this system and felt it worked superbly. The staff were so attentive even though they were extremely busy this fact was never reflected in the service we recieved - as I say the place was full but we didnt feel rushed to finish or to move from our table. The food was truly amazing beautifully presented and there was more than enough of it (Ive read a review complaining of the portion sizes and if you want a huge sickening portion of tasteless muck go to a different place - if you want quality, luxury, beautiful fresh food where the taste is the important thing and the portions more than satisfying (and dont get me wrong I have a very good (too good sometimes!!) appitite!!) in a beautiful surrounding, go here! As I say, my fiance and I had more than enough in the portions I couldnt fit a dessert in and my fiance struggled to finish his as delicious as it was! We will talk about this meal for yrs to come it really was the best food I have ever had and I HONESTLY MEAN THAT!!! Of special interest was the marrow bone starter (go on try it!!) and My fiances lamb was wonderful. We took an after dinner cocktail on the decking beside the water where a wood burner gave a peasent warmth and glow it was a wonderful evening. We retired to our room to find turndown service fresh towels and restocked teas and coffees (proper cafetiere coffee in the room and fresh milk in the mini bar not that God awful UHT rubbish) Complementary Breakfast in bed was served in the morning with no fuss at 10.30 as requested (sunday has later breakfast) - try the pancakes they were fab! My finace had the smoaked salmon and scrambled egg - yummy too - we had extended our checkout to 1pm and dozed the morning away in the luxury of our room - the ducks on the water outside our room providing vocal entertainment occasionally but this was a plesant sound far better than the shouting, zoom zoom beep beep noises you often awake to in hotels! When we checked out we were again offered a tea or coffee - nothing rushed here either we declined as we had to be on the way home - we were sad leaving. Overall the total cost was as follows B&B a quite reasonable €150 for two for proper luxury, Dinner for two (2 starters, mains one dessert one coffee and one cocktail and a bottle of wine ( at €25) €159 in total. Cheese plate (enough for two as a light snack on arrival) €12. we shared a bottle of wine with that too afterall we were on a mini break!!. There were no silly added additional charges for service etc. There was a good choice of wines clearly broken down in price range and a good slection at each price. I was impressed at the room rate given what far lesser accomodation is charging in recessionary times - I did find the food and cocktails/wine by the galss rather expensive especialy in these times but as I have said above the quality couldnt be faluted and there was no sign of a recession when you looked around the packed dining room. The staff in the bar and during dining were fantastic - one of the reception staff didnt step up to the mark and needs to work on her people skills (a smile goes a long way!!) but overall the staff were excellent. If I could change anything it wouldnt really be to do with the lodge at all (apart from the entrace via the decking which is so noisy that you feel you need to tip toe to avoid hopping things off peoples dining tables!! - management please please section/mark this entrance from the carpark off so that everyone free from mobility issues comes up form the waterside path!!). The road works are a pain and you just gotta laugh at them (we had to do a U-turn on the way home!) and I think management could complain to the Co Co about the signs which are misleading and could provide additional directions for the Lodge for guests until the maddness ends!, I have to say that regrettably power boats and jet-skis did dent the peace and tranquility at the waters edge during the afternoon and I think its a pity they cant be kept far FAR away from the Lodge they are very noisey and unpleasent. In conclusion its difficult to justify €360 for one night with dinner and drinks but as I say Heaven on Earth has a price and my Fiance and I had a romantic and wonderful experience that we will always remember and try to put the guilt of the extravagence to the back of our minds- In fact I will be saving my recessionary wages and hope to be back at the Wineport in the near future - the Spa treatments, idea of champagne or cheaper proscecco or even better cava (all available by the glass ranging from €15 down to €8 per glass) on the Decking at waters edge at sunset or having a luxury L'Occitane bath ran for me with scented candle and scented towels, with big bottles of product to take home (at €79) is very appealing....now wheres my piggy bank....

Dear 1981mary,

Thank you for your review on Trip advisor,

We were delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and we have passed on your kind words to our colleagues.

We hope the 'Piggy Bank' has been replenished and that we get to welcome you back to The Wineport Lodge.

Reviewed 8 August 2009

A little bit of negotiation over the phone and we got a free upgrade to a junior suite!
To be fair we took the room on the day of travel...
A great hotel to stay in, good staff, superb food. It is worth all you pay for it! The only quibble is other than the hot tub there are no other leisure facilities.
Dinner in the main restaurant is a must and you could eat there every night but you must eat there at least once.
The staff are helpful and do everything asked of them and even offered to pick up my preferred newspaper on their way into work! They definately go the extra mile. Food is the strength of the hotel and is freshly prepared. The day we stayed not all breakfast menu choices were available as the delivery had not arrived.
The room was great and doesn't need a tv really as the internet music system would deliver whatever your choice. Good value mini bar. There was also a small bottle of wine available free on arrival. Would recommend staff spend a night in their hotel rooms as a few little issues(slightly blocked drains badly tuned tv) could be worked out.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple

Dear ChipsDublin,

Thank you for taking the time to post a trip advisor review.

We are always very grateful for any feedback which can help us imporve our service levels our committment is to ensure each guest has a memorable stay with us.

I will be sure to pass on your gracious comments to the team throughout the Hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.