“Great night”

Price range: US$18 - US$41
Cuisines: Irish, Seafood, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Locke Restaurant, Athlone is located in Athlone's historical quater and is set in an enchanting 150 year old church which stands proudly on the waterfront. The church was the original Anglican church in Athlone and dates back to the early 1800's. The church still retains most of its original fetures which now form part of the gorgeous restaurant that is The Locke. The Locke is situated beside the beer garden entrance to Sean's Bar, Ireland's Oldest Pub, Athlone Castle and is in the heart of the bustling nightlife of Athlone. The restaurant is one block away from the Dean Crowe theatre. It also also is within walking distance of some of Athlone's wonderful attractions, such as the Viking Boat Cruise and the Luain Gallery. The core of the restaurant, set in the captivating and magnificent church which dates back to 1858, now known as the Locke Restaurant is the second level with its high church beamed ceilings, warm, atmospheric lighting, panelling and rich carpet. The cosy snug bar located on the lower level has a dramatic feel about it. There is live piano and harp sessions every Saturday night in the bar area of the restaurant and all are welcome to come and enjoy it, even for a drink. The Locke Restaurant is a proud Irish Restaurant, specialising in fine Irish cuisine and seafood with a strong focus on local suppliers and produce. Our award winning Head Chef and his excellent team cook everything fresh to order and take great pride in the quality and standard of food they produce.The Locke Restaurant is open from Tuesday to Sunday served full evening, Al a Carte Menu from 5pm to 9.30Pm and There is also a great value Early Bird Menu available each day from 5pm to 7pm with 2 courses starting from €21.00 Per person. The Locke also has capacity for groups and parties with our private dining room options available for small or large groups and parties. We also have Group Menus and tailored packages for groups.
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

My fiancé & I went to this restaurant tonight, after feedback from a friend. We loved the venue, it's quirky and cosy. Gavin introduced himself as our host and seated us. He was very welcoming. Food was lovely and executed well. What makes this place great is its staff , its unique venue and tasty food. Ann was our waitress - again very nice lady.
We will definitely return if we are in Athlone again.

Ann O, Owner at The Locke Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Dear PetesAmz,

Thank you so much for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your night with us so much, that means alot.

I have passed your lovely comments onto Gavin and he says a huge thank you. And a huge thank you from me as I was the one who served you on the night (very red faced here). Im so happy yopu found the Locke to be so cosy and welcoming.

I hope next time you are around, you will come and let us look after you again.
Warmest regards,

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Okay, so I was with a hen party, but the great thing about this place is they can cater for groups so that we weren't annoying any other diners, even though we weren't rowdy. We had a 3 course special menu for EUR25 and the food was fabulous. I especially loved my main course of salmon on a bed of risotto which was a fantastic accompaniment to the salmon, really tasty. In fact I would love the recipe!!!!! Would highly recommend the restaurant and love to go back again in a non group setting. The décor is very nicely done too as the building is historic and they have done it up tastefully.

1  Thank RealReview

Dear Real Review,

It was our complete pleasure to host you and the girls for the Hen Party, you were all great craic. We are delighted to offer our Private Dining Room in The Locke for parties, events and hen parties. It means you are able to relax, have fun and not feel like you are intruding on other people.

Its also great to know that you found our Group Menu to be such good value, that's what we are aiming for. You are welcome to come back any time for the recipe for the risotto or just come and eat it here again.

Thank you ever so much for the recommendation, it really means alot to us.
Kind regards,

Ann "Mammy" O'Shea

Reviewed 12 November 2013

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our culinary experience in all four of the categories listed in the title of the review. We had the unexpected side benefit of meeting/chatting with a fellow American on holiday at a near-by table. The atmosphere of the restaurant enhanced the experience.

1  Thank James M

Dear Jim M,

Thank you for coming to dine with us during your trip to Ireland, it was our plasure to host you and your wife for dinner.
As we always say in Ireland, its a small world so you never know who you might meet, I am so happy you met a fellow american during your evening with us.

Our enchanting church is not just a building, its part of our team here at The Locke and we are very proud of it.

I hope you and your good wife will come and dine with us again during your next trip to Ireland.

With thanks,

www.thelockerestaurant.com

Reviewed 10 November 2013

Booked for 4, but turned up with 6. Changing the table was no problem. Staff were pleasant and friendly throughout, telling us the history of the building back to 1690.

Food was very good, and well presented. Service was faultless. Atmosphere was good, despite it being early evening.

Haven't been to this restaurant since it was called The Chateau, but will be back, when next in Athlone.

Dear Maddocni,

It was our pleasure to host you and your group. I really hope you were all winners in the bridge tournament. I am delighted that you enjoyed your meal with us and that we were able to accommodate you and your friends. I have passed on your lovely compliments to our wonderful Head Chef and his team.

Now that you know who were at, I hope you will come and see us again.
Warmest thanks,

Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

Went for dinner in the locke a couple of weeks ago, have to say was one of the best restaurants that i have been to the food was amazing and the value was great for the quality and the service was great, the atmosphere was so relaxed and calm, will definitely be going back for a meal, best spot in town.

Shauna15, wow, thank you so much for the wonderful review.

Seamus Jordan, our excellent Head Chef, and his team are on cloud nine after reading your feedback, they haven't stopped smiling. As a team, we all work very hard at making the Locke special and doing justice to our enchanting church so it means ever so much to us to get such lovely comments.

Thank you for making our day.
With regards,