“Great Value for Excellent food”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Locke Restaurant - CLOSED

The Locke Restaurant
Price range: US$16 - US$38
Cuisines: European, Irish, Seafood, Mediterranean, Wine Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: The Locke Restaurant, Athlone is located in Athlone's historical quater and is set in an enchanting 150 year old church which stands proudly on the waterfront. The church was the original Anglican church in Athlone and dates back to the early 1800's. The church still retains most of its original fetures which now form part of the gorgeous restaurant that is The Locke. The Locke is situated beside the beer garden entrance to Sean's Bar, Ireland's Oldest Pub, Athlone Castle and is in the heart of the bustling nightlife of Athlone. The restaurant is one block away from the Dean Crowe theatre. It also also is within walking distance of some of Athlone's wonderful attractions, such as the Viking Boat Cruise and the Luain Gallery. The core of the restaurant, set in the captivating and magnificent church which dates back to 1858, now known as the Locke Restaurant is the second level with its high church beamed ceilings, warm, atmospheric lighting, panelling and rich carpet. The cosy snug bar located on the lower level has a dramatic feel about it. There is live piano and harp sessions every Saturday night in the bar area of the restaurant and all are welcome to come and enjoy it, even for a drink. The Locke Restaurant is a proud Irish Restaurant, specialising in fine Irish cuisine and seafood with a strong focus on local suppliers and produce. Our award winning Head Chef and his excellent team cook everything fresh to order and take great pride in the quality and standard of food they produce.The Locke Restaurant is open from Tuesday to Sunday served full evening, Al a Carte Menu from 5pm to 9.30Pm and There is also a great value Early Bird Menu available each day from 5pm to 7pm with 2 courses starting from €21.00 Per person. The Locke also has capacity for groups and parties with our private dining room options available for small or large groups and parties. We also have Group Menus and tailored packages for groups.
Dublin, Ireland
“Great Value for Excellent food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

Had the early menu for 25 Euro which was excellent value for the quality of the food and service
Be sure to get directions beforehand. Well worth heading to that part of Athlone for an evening with its selection of restaurents and pubs.

Dear Hawkeye527,

I am so happy that you found our Early Bird Menu to be such good value for the quality of the food and service, that means alot to us. And im delighted that we were worth finding.

As you are only in Dublin, I very much hope you will come and visit us again very soon.
Warm regards and thanks,

Newton, MA
“Beautiful Decorations and Building, Delicious Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

This old church building is really beautiful, and we were so lucky to go during Christmas season when the restaurant is tastefully and gorgeously decorated. I couldn't take me eyes off the architecture.

Luckily, I did manage to look at my yummy food. We ordered from the 3 course 25Euro value menu. First off the Guinness treacle bread could have been a meal in itself. My husband's salmon with risotto was a perfect marriage of flavors. My pheasant was also very good. We had a fruit crumble dessert that had toasted hazelnuts on top, which I've never had before on a crumble and was the perfect addition.

We arrived early on a Saturday but without reservations. The staff was very friendly and they were able to seat us, even on a busy night (and since we live 3K miles away and were leaving the next morning we were very grateful).

• Visited December 2013
Dear Oldhousegirl,

You have made our day, our week and our month with you lovely feedback. We did all the decorations in the church ourselves and its so nice to know that they looked well, we take great pride in everything we do here at The Locke.

Your feedback on the food was like reading a fairytale novel and our brilliant Head Chef and his team are delighted that you both enjoyed it so much, especially with your comments on our homemade breads.

I hope ye had a pleasant trip home and next time you are in Ireland, please call again.

With thanks,

Galway
“Lovely setting food and staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

I dined here with 2 friends on a saturday evening. The restaurant was buzzing and atmosphere was good. Staff were extremely helpful in making food choices. Very informative. Food was good. I tried something new I don't normally go for. Wouldn't pick it again but will go back and try something else as all dishes looked good. Deserts were tasty and well presented.
Worth a visit.

Dear Crazy2010,

Thank you so much for the lovely comments and feedback. I am delighted that you and the girls enjoyed your evening so much with us. I am delighted that you tryed something new when you dined with us and its such a lovely compliment to know that even though it wasnt to your taste, you would come and dine again.

Your wonderful feedback has been passed on to the whole team here at the Locke and we all say a huge Thank You.

Warm regards,

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great night”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

My fiancé & I went to this restaurant tonight, after feedback from a friend. We loved the venue, it's quirky and cosy. Gavin introduced himself as our host and seated us. He was very welcoming. Food was lovely and executed well. What makes this place great is its staff , its unique venue and tasty food. Ann was our waitress - again very nice lady.
We will definitely return if we are in Athlone again.

Ann O, Owner at The Locke Restaurant, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear PetesAmz,

Thank you so much for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your night with us so much, that means alot.

I have passed your lovely comments onto Gavin and he says a huge thank you. And a huge thank you from me as I was the one who served you on the night (very red faced here). Im so happy yopu found the Locke to be so cosy and welcoming.

I hope next time you are around, you will come and let us look after you again.
Warmest regards,

Ireland
“Large group - very well fed and taken care of”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

Okay, so I was with a hen party, but the great thing about this place is they can cater for groups so that we weren't annoying any other diners, even though we weren't rowdy. We had a 3 course special menu for EUR25 and the food was fabulous. I especially loved my main course of salmon on a bed of risotto which was a fantastic accompaniment to the salmon, really tasty. In fact I would love the recipe!!!!! Would highly recommend the restaurant and love to go back again in a non group setting. The décor is very nicely done too as the building is historic and they have done it up tastefully.

1 Thank RealReview
Ann O, Owner at The Locke Restaurant, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear Real Review,

It was our complete pleasure to host you and the girls for the Hen Party, you were all great craic. We are delighted to offer our Private Dining Room in The Locke for parties, events and hen parties. It means you are able to relax, have fun and not feel like you are intruding on other people.

Its also great to know that you found our Group Menu to be such good value, that's what we are aiming for. You are welcome to come back any time for the recipe for the risotto or just come and eat it here again.

Thank you ever so much for the recommendation, it really means alot to us.
Kind regards,