“Just a lovely dining experience....”
Review of The Locke Restaurant - CLOSED

The Locke Restaurant
Price range: US$19 - US$43
Cuisines: Irish, Seafood, Wine Bar
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Locke Restaurant, Athlone is located in Athlone's historical quater and is set in an enchanting 150 year old church which stands proudly on the waterfront. The church was the original Anglican church in Athlone and dates back to the early 1800's. The church still retains most of its original fetures which now form part of the gorgeous restaurant that is The Locke. The Locke is situated beside the beer garden entrance to Sean's Bar, Ireland's Oldest Pub, Athlone Castle and is in the heart of the bustling nightlife of Athlone. The restaurant is one block away from the Dean Crowe theatre. It also also is within walking distance of some of Athlone's wonderful attractions, such as the Viking Boat Cruise and the Luain Gallery. The core of the restaurant, set in the captivating and magnificent church which dates back to 1858, now known as the Locke Restaurant is the second level with its high church beamed ceilings, warm, atmospheric lighting, panelling and rich carpet. The cosy snug bar located on the lower level has a dramatic feel about it. There is live piano and harp sessions every Saturday night in the bar area of the restaurant and all are welcome to come and enjoy it, even for a drink. The Locke Restaurant is a proud Irish Restaurant, specialising in fine Irish cuisine and seafood with a strong focus on local suppliers and produce. Our award winning Head Chef and his excellent team cook everything fresh to order and take great pride in the quality and standard of food they produce.The Locke Restaurant is open from Tuesday to Sunday served full evening, Al a Carte Menu from 5pm to 9.30Pm and There is also a great value Early Bird Menu available each day from 5pm to 7pm with 2 courses starting from €21.00 Per person. The Locke also has capacity for groups and parties with our private dining room options available for small or large groups and parties. We also have Group Menus and tailored packages for groups.
Reviewed 1 July 2014

My husband and our friend had the real pleasure of dining in this lovely restaurant last Saturday 29 June 2014..it was just a lovely pleasant dining experience in a most characterful restaurant which I believe was an old church ..there was a happy buzzing atmosphere ( very popular restaurant with good reason) and the staff very attentive and helpful with suggestions for our meal ... we enjoyed the food very much .although I did not consider the menu extensive there was something to suit everyone and every taste and the excellent quality food was cooked and served with flair...My husband and I do not normally chose pork for our main dish when eating out but apparently this is one of the restaurant's signature dishes as advised by staff: slow cooked pork belly..we were not sorry we made this choice as it was absolutely delicious and so beautifully served..our friend had a most delicious sea bass..portions were generous also ..could not fault this restaurant in any way...the bill was not excessive either and we left feeling happy having had a most pleasant evening..we will definitely return to this lovely establishment on our return to Athlone..it is so worth a visit...

Ann O, Owner at The Locke Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Finolacorkireland, thank you.
Your wonderful review has put such a smile on our faces here at The Locke, I am delighted that you enjoyed your experience with us so much, it was our pleasure to host you.

Your lovely comments about the service has made all the floor staff here smile as well and our brilliant head chef, Seamus Jordan, is delighted you went for our signature dish, our local Pork Belly. Its great that our found our menu to be so well put together and structured, that is very much what we aim for.

It was great to have you come and dine in our gorgeous church and I hope next time you are up from Cork, you will come and visit us again.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Our first meal of the trip, and afterward I commented that if we didn't have a better meal the rest of our trip I still wouldn't be disappointed (and we didn't). Really nice setting in an old church, sitting on the 2nd floor. Excellent service. I had the smoked seafood platter, and I think my son had a pork dish. Both were very tasty and filling.

Dear BobfromVA,

WOW, to be said that we were the best meal of your entire trip round Ireland is so humbling and so heart-warming. I am delighted that you got to experience our wonderful church restaurant. I have passed on your lovely compliments to our award winning team of chefs and its great to you tryed our amazing seafood platter and the house speciality pork belly.

I really hope you enjoyed your trip around Ireland and have a safe journey home.
Sincere regards,

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Had a meal here in last few days. The experience did not live up to other rave reviews . Starters were very limited unimaginative and I struggled to find something vaguely interesting . Only for special of Hake would be same with mains. The Hake was served with veg + small portion of baby potatoes and ridiculously vinegary side salad . Dessert was average nothing special. Would not consider gourmet experience by a long shot . Maitre d came across as insincere as the same pat was trotted out at every table.. Bar area was untidy with glasses when we entered and counter looked sticky . A La carte menu was reasonably priced.
Not unpleasant visit but would not return

5  Thank Betty D

Dear Betty D,

I am so sorry that we didn’t live up to expectations for you and that as a restaurant, we let ourselves down, we are all very disheartened by that. I'm sorry that you found our Early Bird Menu unimaginative. At the Locke, we pride ourselves on using the best local produce available and always using fresh. We also don’t like to over complicate the food as we like the ensure the flavours all work together.

In relation to your note about the side salad – we actually don’t serve side salad with our main courses; your partner on the evening actually ordered a simple side salad to go with his mains. Gavin, who is the owner of the restaurant, and who interacted with you on the night is very surprised with this review because he did enquiry during your meal as to how it was and if we had known that you weren’t enjoying your meal, he would of, as we all would, endeavoured to try and rectify anything that was wrong with your meal as we pride ourselves on our customer service here at The Locke. Gavin is also very sorry if he in anyway came across as insincere, he takes huge pride in the restaurant and our guests.

Again Betty D, I am so sorry that we didn’t meet your expectations. However, we would be delighted to welcome you back to the Locke again so that we can show you how good things really are.

Yours,

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Had a gorgeous meal here tonight, early bird is great value. Ceased salad to start, my husband had the seafood chowder, the hake for me steak for hubbie, gorgeous

Dear marymaryblue,

Thank you ever so much for coming to dine with us at The Locke, I am so happy that you enjoyed your experience at our gorgeous church so much. It’s great that you got to dine off our great value Early Bird Menu and that the food was so tasteful.
Thank you for visiting us and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Locke again soon.
Warm regards,

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Best decision made this year so far? to try The Locke's Early Bird menu! Great value, delicious food and decor you could never guess from the outside! Go with the recommendations, you won't be disappointed. Customer service great, even before you get in the building! Option for outside dining by the river too. PS the A La Carte is good value too.

2  Thank KMJH5

KMJH5,

It was our pleasure to host you both and I am delighted that you came and tryed our wonderful restaurant. As the Locke is an stunning old church, we try and make the most of its very special ambiance and its so nice when this comes across. Gavin is very happy you took his advice and recommendations and we are all so pleased that you found our customer service to be so nice.

But most importantly, its great that you found us to be such good value. I hope next time you are visiting Ireland, you will come and lets us host you again.

Kind regards,