“Best meal for a long time”
Review of The Locke Restaurant - CLOSED

The Locke Restaurant
Price range: US$18 - US$41
Cuisines: Irish, Seafood, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Locke Restaurant, Athlone is located in Athlone's historical quater and is set in an enchanting 150 year old church which stands proudly on the waterfront. The church was the original Anglican church in Athlone and dates back to the early 1800's. The church still retains most of its original fetures which now form part of the gorgeous restaurant that is The Locke. The Locke is situated beside the beer garden entrance to Sean's Bar, Ireland's Oldest Pub, Athlone Castle and is in the heart of the bustling nightlife of Athlone. The restaurant is one block away from the Dean Crowe theatre. It also also is within walking distance of some of Athlone's wonderful attractions, such as the Viking Boat Cruise and the Luain Gallery. The core of the restaurant, set in the captivating and magnificent church which dates back to 1858, now known as the Locke Restaurant is the second level with its high church beamed ceilings, warm, atmospheric lighting, panelling and rich carpet. The cosy snug bar located on the lower level has a dramatic feel about it. There is live piano and harp sessions every Saturday night in the bar area of the restaurant and all are welcome to come and enjoy it, even for a drink. The Locke Restaurant is a proud Irish Restaurant, specialising in fine Irish cuisine and seafood with a strong focus on local suppliers and produce. Our award winning Head Chef and his excellent team cook everything fresh to order and take great pride in the quality and standard of food they produce.The Locke Restaurant is open from Tuesday to Sunday served full evening, Al a Carte Menu from 5pm to 9.30Pm and There is also a great value Early Bird Menu available each day from 5pm to 7pm with 2 courses starting from €21.00 Per person. The Locke also has capacity for groups and parties with our private dining room options available for small or large groups and parties. We also have Group Menus and tailored packages for groups.
Enniskillen, United Kingdom
“Best meal for a long time”
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Went to the Locke after checking Tripadvisor and we weren't disappointed. The service was second to none, the owner was very pleasant and helpful and appreciative of our custom. He recommend the pork belly which was fantastic and my wife had the Cod wrapped in Parma ham which she said was the best Cod she has ever had. We decided we wouldn't have a starter just main and dessert but we were brought a small cup of the soup on the house which was really good. The desserts where of the same quality as the rest of the meal. The price of the meal including wine was what you would expect to pay for that quality of meal. All in all a great dinning experience and we will be back to Athlone and this restaurant in particular.

Visited July 2014
Ann O, Owner at The Locke Restaurant, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear Magwll,

Thank you so so much for your review, it means so much to us here at the Locke. It was a pleasure meeting you and your wife and thank you for coming to dine with us.

Seamus Jordan, our brilliant Head Chef and his team are blown away by your feedback on the food. And I am so happy that you found us to be such great value, that is very important too. It is so nice to know that we impressed you so much and that the restaurant stood up to its recommendations on Trip Advisor.

Thank you for the picture.
I look forward to meeting you both again very soon.
Warm regards,

Dublin, Ireland
“Very disappointing!”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Was really looking forward to dining here. After ordering our wine we were told that they did not have it in stock. We then ordered another wine and were told that they didn't have that either. Offered a substitute which is available in Supervalu for 8 euro. Not impressed!! Our portions were tiny. Worst Caesar salad I ever had. An over friendly host. To make up for our bad dining experience we were given two glasses of prosecco served to us after we had finished our bottle of red wine. Surely in any professional restaurant you do not serve prosecco after red wine. Won't be going back and wouldn't recommend to anyone.

• Visited June 2014
8 Thank KathleenHayes
Ann O, Owner at The Locke Restaurant, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear KathleenHayes,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I'm very surprised at how poorly you rated us as a restaurant and for this, I am very sorry on behalf of the entire team here at The Locke that we let ourselves down in this manner.

I am very sorry that we didn’t have the wine you wanted in stock on the evening that you dined and if the substitute Shiraz that you had wasn’t good enough, again apologies. I am so surprised that you found our portions small; one of the things that we take huge pride in is the size of our meals and we always ensure that no one goes hungry when they dine with us. While Gavin, your host, may have come across over friendly, I can assure you, this is passion and sincere on his behalf. The gesture if Processo at the end of your meal was a simple token and acknowledgment that you didn’t have the experience you were hoping for and you had been offered dessert as well, it was not to offend or to show unprofessionalism but to show our appreciation of your business on the evening.

While we cant undo the evening you had, I can assure you, with confidence that we are a 100 times better than your experience and we would be delighted if you both would come back sometime and try us again because I have no doubt we will live up to your expectations.

“Try the pork!”
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Gorgeous food, great atmosphere and a humble host. You need to try the pork here, it's like no other meat I've tasted, soft and juicy. Fantastic restaurant in the heart of Athlone!

Dear vorbis123,

Our head chef, Seamus Jordan, is blown away by your recommendation and compliment about our fresh local Pork Belly and to say it is the best meat you have tasted, it out of this world.

I very much hope you will come and visit our gorgeous church restaurant again.
Warmest thanks on behalf of the team here,

Cork Ireland
“Just a lovely dining experience....”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

My husband and our friend had the real pleasure of dining in this lovely restaurant last Saturday 29 June 2014..it was just a lovely pleasant dining experience in a most characterful restaurant which I believe was an old church ..there was a happy buzzing atmosphere ( very popular restaurant with good reason) and the staff very attentive and helpful with suggestions for our meal ... we enjoyed the food very much .although I did not consider the menu extensive there was something to suit everyone and every taste and the excellent quality food was cooked and served with flair...My husband and I do not normally chose pork for our main dish when eating out but apparently this is one of the restaurant's signature dishes as advised by staff: slow cooked pork belly..we were not sorry we made this choice as it was absolutely delicious and so beautifully served..our friend had a most delicious sea bass..portions were generous also ..could not fault this restaurant in any way...the bill was not excessive either and we left feeling happy having had a most pleasant evening..we will definitely return to this lovely establishment on our return to Athlone..it is so worth a visit...

• Visited July 2014
Finolacorkireland, thank you.
Your wonderful review has put such a smile on our faces here at The Locke, I am delighted that you enjoyed your experience with us so much, it was our pleasure to host you.

Your lovely comments about the service has made all the floor staff here smile as well and our brilliant head chef, Seamus Jordan, is delighted you went for our signature dish, our local Pork Belly. Its great that our found our menu to be so well put together and structured, that is very much what we aim for.

It was great to have you come and dine in our gorgeous church and I hope next time you are up from Cork, you will come and visit us again.

Kind regards,

Virginia
“Best meal of our trip”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Our first meal of the trip, and afterward I commented that if we didn't have a better meal the rest of our trip I still wouldn't be disappointed (and we didn't). Really nice setting in an old church, sitting on the 2nd floor. Excellent service. I had the smoked seafood platter, and I think my son had a pork dish. Both were very tasty and filling.

Visited June 2014
Dear BobfromVA,

WOW, to be said that we were the best meal of your entire trip round Ireland is so humbling and so heart-warming. I am delighted that you got to experience our wonderful church restaurant. I have passed on your lovely compliments to our award winning team of chefs and its great to you tryed our amazing seafood platter and the house speciality pork belly.

I really hope you enjoyed your trip around Ireland and have a safe journey home.
Sincere regards,