“Compliments to chef and restaurant staff”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Wonju, South Korea
“Compliments to chef and restaurant staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2011

I have stayed with the Radisson hotels in many countries, so the room was exactly as I expected it to be.
It's their restaurant and quality of service I received that prompted me to write this review.
I have been greeted on arrival and seated at properly set table. Jug of water and couple slices of home made bread and butter arrived in no time.
Menu nicely priced, I settled for starter and fillet steak as a main course.
I did not expect great things, just a decent meal. However the Irish brie wedge, deep fried and served with raspberry sauce(those dreaded seeds) was just delicious and cooked to perfection. Locally sourced beef and master skills of headchef made my experience with medium rare steak, served on potatoes lyonnaise(?)bed really pleasant.
Over the meal I have been served by two different waitresses(actually I think manager was helping out on that evening as well) and each one was as expert and as pleasant as the other. Couple tables away the hen party was up and running, with girls downing bubbly and wearing ubiquitous bunny ears.
Coffee finished this really good meal.

Room Tip: Try to ask for riverview room, it's worth it!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Seamus78_11
Martina D, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone, responded to this review, 25 September 2011
Dear Guest ,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Radisson Blu Hotel, I am delighted to hear such high praise for the quality of service and food that you received in the Elements Restaurant. We pride ourselves on providing the highest quality of service here at the hotel so as to ensure that all our guest's enjoy their stay with us. The restaurant menu has recently had some changes by our Head Chef Philip O'Reilly and some of the new elements are proving a huge hit with many. I hope we will see you back in Athlone again in the very near future.

Guest Services Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Portlaoise, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2011

A friend and I completed a charity cycle through Ireland in August 2011 in aid of Enable Ireland! We would like to thank the Management for their kindness and generosity for supporting us and providing us with a complimentary room during our stay in Athlone! The staff at this hotel were friendly and very helpful! When we arrived they gave us a warm welcome and stored our bikes for us straight away! We were then provided with a beautifully decorated twin room,with extremely comfortable beds! The bathroom was very nice,with a great shower! The breakfeast was very good with great room service! A great hotel in the heart of Athlone! Highly recommended

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Martina D, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone, responded to this review, 10 September 2011
Dear Mark,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Radisson Hotel, We were delighed to support such a worthy cause. It was a pleasure having you stay, wishing you all the best and hopefully we will see you in Athlone again in the near future.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2011

I booked in with a large number of family members at very short notice as a result of a family bereavement. The value was wonderful considering the short notice and included complimentary breakfast in the buffet.

The building and modern design is very promising and its location right on the banks of the River Shannon and overlooking the Barracks and medieval castle is beautiful however that is where the charm ends.

The room I was sharing with my brother contained two very small single beds which barely had a gap between the pair of them. There was absolute NO climate control in the room, just a radiator attached to the wall under the window. If you wanted cool air you had to open a window. Unfortunately my room (room 134) overlooked a bank of Air Conditioning fans (odd considering they werent for the bedrooms) which rattled to life every 20 minutes making a lot of noise through the night. We had to keep the windows shut but that resulted in a very hot and stuffy bedroom which was made even worse by the southerly aspect of the room.

On top of that the TV in the room also had no signal for any channels and the iron had a dodgy cable which made using it a bit of a liability. Both items were reported. The bathroom was not clean, the tiled floor had hairs and stains as did the bath/shower unit. However the small beds were relatively comfortable although the pillows are something I would expect to find in a cheap hotel.

I found the breakfast in the buffet wonderful. Typical irish breakfast was available aswell as a selection of fruits, cold meats, youghurts, juices, breaks and pastries. The staff were not very efficient however and I had to ask twice for tea. HOWEVER, In their defence, when one of my party suddenly stood up and made it clearly evident he was choking, that staff jumped in very quickly and displayed their training...so top marks there!!!

Over all a rather disappointing visit. My restless nights sleep as a result of the room temperature left me very exhausted on what was to be a long and busy day. I have stayed in Radisson Blu hotels worldwide and this one on my own home turf had to be the absolute worst, even compared to the one in Beijing. There is a serious amount of competition in Athlone with a Sheraton next door and a number of very high quality local brands all trying to get the limited business that is still coming to this recession hit town, I personally would pay the €10 more for the Sheraton next time.

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the Shannon or at least a north facing room so you dont melt!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Martina D, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone, responded to this review, 11 September 2011
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review the Radisson Blu Hotel, I Was disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I can see from your review that while there was some positive aspects to you stay there were also many negatives. The service and standards mentioned as per your review are most certainly not what the Radisson would adhere to. I greatly appreciate your informative feedback and I have passed on your comments to our Housekeeping manager who has taken your comments into consideration and he expresses his apologies also. I would like the opportunity to personally apologise to you and discuss the matter in more detail should you wish to do so please contact me here at the hotel by telephone on 090 644 2600 or indeed by email martina.donoghue@radissonblu.com.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2011

Beautiful Setting along the river with lovely decking area. The Staff very friendly unfortunately did not seem to have the relevant skills. The hot breakfast was not very good. We had dinner on Sunday night in the Restaurant the food was excellent unfortunately it was very quiet on the night and the staff were setting up the tables for breakfast which was a little off putting as we felt we had to rush our meal and leave.
It was also poor for the few people who had only checked in and were not allowed to choose the table they wished to sit at for their meal.

Room Tip: Twin Room was very small and like a sauna although the heating was not on and the bedroom window had...
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review Radisson Blu, Hotel Athlone. We appreciate the feedback from our guests, both positive and negative as it can only improve our offering to hear your comments.
From Sunday to Wednesday our restaurant can be quieter so we sometimes set up areas which is not in use in preparation for the following day. Even though this is the first time that a problem has been highlighted in relation to this, we feel that we need to review this situation. We have a strong emphasis on training and have taken steps to convey your comments and implement a different system going forward. Thank you also for your kind comments about our restaurant dinner and I have passed your disappointment in relation to breakfast onto our restaurant manager and head chef. We certainly hope in future our restaurant service will complement the fantastic setting we have here on the banks of the Shannon to ensure your next stay is more enjoyable.

Drogheda, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2011

This hotel is in a lovely location on the banks of the Shannon, there is a beautiful deck area that you can enjoy a drink on, if the weather permits, which in our case it did not :-(. Overall this hotel seems to have no heart, the waiters/waitresses seem to be very young and inexperienced. Breakfast selection is good, we didnt eat here at night time. There is no entertainment of any kind at night time. Very average hotel.

Room Tip: We requested large family room and got one in the loft - very spacious but total lack of sockets.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Martina D, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone, responded to this review, 31 August 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Radisson Hotel in Athlone, We here at the hotel love to receive feedback from our guests both positive and negtive. I would like to take this opportunity to apologise to you on the fact that you did not thoroughly enjoy your stay with us.
The terrace of the hotel is brilliant but often as you mentioned the weather does not permit one to enjoy it fully to its extent.
Midweek the hotel can be quieter and we provide music and entertainment at the weekend only usually, however I have forwarded your comments to the relevant person who does lok after activities within the hotel. A lot of emphsis is placed on the training of new staff who have just joined the hotel so I will most certainly take your comments into consideration and appreciate you pointing this out to us.
On the positive I am glad you enjoyed the benefit of the lovely location of the hotel and spaciousness of the room you stayed in.
If you are ever in the area again I would love the opportunity to welcome you back to the Radisson.

Thanking you most sincerely for your valued business

Service Manager
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2011

Stayed here with a group of friends for hen party and we had a fantastic time. Got complimentary upgrade to business room. All staff we dealt with at reception and in the restaurant were very helpful and friendly, went out of their way to oblige when we asked them to take a group photo etc. Food was lovely, nice evening meal and plenty of choice at breakfast which was served up to 11. Any queries were dealt with quickly. Special thanks to Sarah for all her courtesy and patience in dealing with all manner of last minute changes to our original booking. We'll be back!

Dear Guest

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Radisson Hotel, It is brilliant to hear positive feedback from our customers about the staff and I Will be passing on your lovely comments to Sarah and the team in the Restauarant and at the Front Desk.
Our business rooms are exceptionally comfortable and of course they have the lovely view of the River Shannon !

Thank you for taking the time to review the Radisson Hotel and I will look forward to seeing and welcoming ye all back to Athlone again in the near future

Athlone, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2011

we stayed in the radisson even though we are from athlone because we were attending a family wedding. food and service during the dinner was very attentive and all the staff were good, however it was the rooms that let them down. view was terrible, far too hot air con didn't work properly so had to ask for a fan. This wouldnt have been a problem if we had actually gotten it, we left it as we were heading down to the wedding anyway - it just would have been nice to get what we asked for. We had paid alot for the room so i felt this should have been done.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Dear Therese,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Radisson Blu Hotel, We treat all out guest's feedback very carefully here at the hotel and I followed up on your comments with the relevant people in each department. We have a logging system at the Front desk for all requests that are made by guest's and I am disappointed that the fan you asked for was not delivered to your room.

The rooms in the hotel face either Northgate Street or the River Shannon, I can only apologise once again for the view of the room. With your comments regarding the heat and temperature control I have passed this on to our housekeeping manager and he has taken the relevant steps in rectifying this situation.
I am glad that you enjoyed the wedding at the hotel, including the lovely food and service as mentioned and I hope we will see you in the near future