“It's the 21st Century guys!?”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Dublin, Ireland
“It's the 21st Century guys!?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

Hi!

This is most certainly, not the worst hotel in Ireland. However, as with all hotels in Ireland, they still simply don't know how to cook. Any 1st year trainee chef will tell you, don't boil the be-jasus out of vegetables, then leave them aside for an hour or two, then reheat them before serving. Gross. It was also hard to cut through the stake I ordered, due to the fat. The potatoes where also reheated. I'm sure I'm being picky, I know, but I have traveled abroad and hotels outside Ireland seem to have much better standards.

Now, I hate staying in hotels while on Business. It's incredibly boring, and I never drink during the week so thats out. However, thanks to the modern age, all televisions have a HD connection. So what does that mean? It means you can plug in your mini DVD player, or XBox, or any gadget into the television in your hotel room to keep yourself entertained. This is great, as most hotels have WiFi, including the Radisson in Athlone, and i might add you do get a strong connection.

So, I brought my XBox, which would allow me to watch DVD's and Webb TV, and perhaps a bit of online gaming with friends. After all I'll have 6 hours to kill each afternoon.

But of course, as you'll notice in Ireland, the TV in your hotel will be about 20 years old, and you cannot connect any technology to it. The TV in my Hotel room is 14" 1991 Philips TV, it only has a scart connection. Not only that, but you can only get a few channels. Of course, hotels in ireland still don't get the fact that you can get upto 30 good channels on free sat, oh no, thats much too difficult for them to arrange, even when it's free?

On a final note, Ask yourself what is the main focal point of a hotel room. It's the same thing you point your furniture to in your living room. A good TV. I'll never understand why hoteliers don't get this.

Other than that I've no complains.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Shane G
Martina D, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone, responded to this review, 25 November 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Radisson Blu Hotel online and for providing us with the feedback in your review. I have circulated the information to the maintenance and housekeeing departments within the hotel who will most certainly take your comments into account, we are constantly updating the rooms and facilities of the hotel to improve our standards to coincide, meet and exceed our guests needs and preferences.
I have also noted and passed your comments about the food as mentioned in your review to the Head Chef who will take this on board.
Finally I hope the above does not deter you from returning to the Radisson Blu as I would love the opportunity to welcome you back to Athlone again.
I would ask you to contact myself and I will ensure you have a TV that has a HD Connection !
Service Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Mayo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

I stayed here with friends in mid November and recieved a good value deal. Hotel is in a great location and we were lucky enough to be upgraded to a business class room which has bathrobes, slippers and espresso machines and a lovely view of the river. Public areas and rooms are clean and nicely decorated. However our room was quite small and unbearably warm so we did not sleep very well over the weekend. We did try to ring reception / porter during the night for a fan but got no answer. Breakfast is a buffet style which would not be my preference especially for a four star hotel, usually these buffets are fairly standard and of poor quality as food has been kept warm for a long period of time. However it was one of the better ones with a good variety of foods. It is a busy hotel with a nice atmosphere. Most staff are friendly. Service in the restaurant for dinner and breakfast was diappointing as was lunch service, only half our order was provided and only after following up with our waitress did we get the rest of our order. It was difficult to get their attention even though it appeared not to be very busy. Our room was noisey on Saturday night while music was being played downstairs but it did not last past half two. My friends and I all work in the industry so to us these are mostly small issues as I would happily stay here again. Overall we had a great weekend in a lovely hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kaz2001
Dear Guest,

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to review the Radisson Blu Hotel online, It was a pleasure to read that you seemed to thorougly enjoy your stay with us despite some minor issues as per your review. I can assure you, we here at the hotel do not view these as something not to worry about, I have brought the comments with regards the poor service in the Restaurant to the attention of the Restaurant Manager who has agreed to some more training to avoid any situations like the above mentioned in you feedback occuring again. I have also brought your comments to the attention of the Night Manager with regards trying to contact reception, this is completely unacceptable and I would like to apologise sincerely for this on behalf off all the management here at the hotel. On a positive note however I am glad to see that none of the above would deter you from returning to the Radisson Blu and I most certainly hope we will see you in the very near future
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2011

Stayed in this Hotel on 4th and 5th November 2011 with three other couples.Hotel was ideally located in the town. Service was excellent with very friendly staff, in the Restaurant, Bar and Reception area. The food in the restaurant was very good. Rooms were spacious and very clean. We got an excellent deal. A group of 14 of us travel to a different hotel in Ireland each year and we will , for sure, visit this hotel again in the near future. Well done to all the staff and management at the Radisson Blu , Athlone.

Room Tip: River view is nice.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Bryan,

It was an absolute pleasure to read your review and of the wonderful time you had here with us at the Radisson Blu Hotel. It is lovely to receive such positive comments about the excellent staff and service that you encountered while staying with us here at the hotel. I have forwarded your comments to all departments in the hotel who will be delighted.
I will look forward to seeing you all back in Athlone in the very near future
Burlington, Vermont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

Our rooms were a little cramped and smelled like smoke. We looked out into another wall. This is our only complaint; otherwise, the service both in the room and the hotel in general was wonderful. This hotel is used by community members who pop-in for a beverage and chit-chat. The terrace and bar look out onto the Shannon River. The food was mediocre but the servers were great. Athlone doesn't have much to recommend it as a travel destination (we had family there), but if we return, it will be to this hotel.

Room Tip: Something facing the river would be nice.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank CarolL986
cork
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2011

I recently stayed at the hotel.When we arrived we were astonished at the size of the room and delighted.However I have to say the cleanliness of the leisure centre was utterly appalling. Seriously in my entire life I have never seen anything as bad.That evening we dined in the restaurant.I had great expectations food after the long wait for the food I received an average steak.The breakfast the next morning was lovely in fairness.Overall I was dissapointed with my stay in the raddisson blue and I can safely say I will not be returning.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank darren b
Martina D, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone, responded to this review, 29 November 2011
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review the Radisson Blu Hotel and providing us with all the information in your review.
I would also like to take this opportunity to apologise to you on behalf of all the management here at the hotel for the issues you had with us. During the period that you were staying the leisure facility of the hotel was undergoing a major refurbishment, I know this was quiet intrusive on guests and members for those two weeks, thankfully we do now have a much improved and high standard leisure area for our guests.
I have also forwarded your comments to the Head Chef Philip who will keep in mind your comments when sourcing and preparing the Steak coming into the hotel. We have also introduced a weekly training session of 15 minutes a day twice a week just refreshing staff on the basic elements of customer Service following on from your comments.
On a positive note I am glad you enjoyed the breakfast and the comfort of the family room, our family rooms are often complimented due to the fact that they are so large and spacious.
To conclude I would like to once again sincerely apologise to you and I would ask that you contact me here at the hotel should you wish to discuss this matter in more detail.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2011

Me and my son are just back from a 2 night stay at this hotel, we were greeted by a lovely girl at the desk, our room was ready even though it was just after 1pm and check-in is not till after 3pm. Our room was gorgeous, lovely fresh smell as we walked in the door, the rooms are so modern, with two lovely leather chairs to sit on, the bed was so comfy and so were the pillows, we had a great view from our window of the shannon, the breakfast was self service which was great, there was everything you could ask for, the food was fresh and hot, the staff were very friendly, i would recommend this hotel to anyone, great location as well, i'll be returning again soon....Ps the best hotel room i've ever stayed in and i've stayed in quiet a few...

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank sandra186605
Dear Sandra,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Radisson Blu Hotel, it was a pleasure to read your feedback and of the brilliant time you had here with us in Athlone. I will be forwarding on all your comments to the other departments in the hotel.

Our rooms do provide a fantastic view of the Shannon and is one of our main focal points.
Looking forward to seeing you back in Athlone in the very near future

Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2011

We spent 1 night here a couple of weeks ago. Four girls in 1 room. The bedroom was huge, on the 5th floor. It had 2 single beds and a double bed. The bathroom was really spacious also. We enjoyed a fabulous meal, service was excellent. The hotel is easy to find and it is close to the centre of town. Will definitely return.

Room Tip: 5th floor for large rooms to suit groups.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Radisson Blu Hotel online, I was delighted to read your fantastic evaluation of the hotel and of the brilliant weekend you had here with us in Athlone.
It is lovely to receive such positive comments both about service and staff and I will be sharing all your feedback with the other departments.

Looking forward to seeing you back in Athlone in the very near future