“Needs a few tweeks” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Miltown Malbay, Ireland
“Needs a few tweeks”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

this is a beautiful spotless hotel in a great location and the staff are very nice but the lack of air conditioning spoilt my two night stay. i stayed in one room with my daughter and my mum had a room across the corridor. her room was fine but we couldnt sleep a wink because the room was stiflingly hot and the window would only open two inches! we got a fan the second night but it helped only marginally. time to upgrade the system guys! thankfully the room had a fridge for cool drinks to cool us down. to give you an idea of the temperature i had a bar of chocolate left on the table and it was half melted.
the other gripe i had was that the restaurant was closed on the sunday night of our stay. my mum is 85 and wanted a nice meal not more barfood which is fine during the day. maybe we could have gone out somewhere but we would have liked the convenience of having dinner in the hotel especially given my mums age. what annoyed me more was that the restaurant menu was on display in two different locations in the lobby with no indication that the restaurant would be closed on certain nights. when i mentioned it on check out the chap just said 'oh the restaurant is closed sunday and monday nights due to rostering' sorry not good enough, especially when you're advertising the menus in the information booklets in the room and in the lobby. the bar food was nice just not suitable to an older persons needs. oh and its hen party central by the way. the saturday night we stayed there were 3 hen partys, a wedding and a 50th but having said that we werent disturbed though i met one lady in the lift who had specifically requested a quiet room and she was put over the wedding reception! probably wont return.

Room Tip: ask for air conditioning!!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Tina D D
Sinead_Marron, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
Dear Tina D D,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
Due to the warm weather recently, we understand that some of our guest rooms experienced high temperatures. We have communicated this with the housekeeping and maintenance departments in an effort to resolve this issue and hopefully make some improvements. Secondly I apologise for the inconvenience caused by the food service at our hotel restaurant. Our restaurant is opened Tuesday to Saturday from 6.30 pm and I regret that this did not suit your needs. We have taken your comments on board and have made this information available via updated posters. August is a particularly busy month here at the hotel in terms of group bookings and we are glad to hear it did not disrupt your stay. We appreciate your feedback and we hope you will return to us in future.

Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

Which is why it's only getting three stars from me. Otherwise it would have received 4. The staff are extremely accommodating (we got a fan the second night owing to the heat) and very professional. The rooms are modern (apart from the vintage TVs - they haven't caught up with flat-screen technology here yet). Excellent WiFi access and clean and comfortable surroundings.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear jayom,

Many thanks for taking time to express your findings on our hotel. I am delighted to hear positive comments about our staff. I understand that some of the guest rooms experienced high temperatures during the hot weather and for this I apologize. I am glad we could help to resolve this issue by providing a fan as we take great pride in providing comfortable environment for all our guests. I appreciate your comments about our in-room televisions as we plan to improve these services in the near future. We hope to welcome you again here at the Radisson Blu Hotel Athlone in the future!

Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

My husband & I have stayed at the hotel for our 5th wedding anniversary. We have been upgraded to junior suit which was fantastic. Location of this hotel is really convenient as its in city centre close by to all restaurants and attractions.
What we didn't like about this place is the breakfast!!!!!!! Soggy covered in fat rashers & sausages no options for people who don't like Irish full breakfast.
We have stayed at the hotel two nights and on both nights there were wedding receptions here.... Long queues to the bar and toilets due to wedding guests. We have picked this hotel to have some quiet and romantic time but unfortunately couldn't enjoy ourselves in the bar area.
From my point of view wedding and hotel guests should be kept separated....
Bar area very poor with live very loud music ( couldn't talk to my husband and had to leave)

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Dorothylorek,

Many thanks for taking you time to express your feeling on our hotel. I appreciate to have you here with us for your 5th wedding anniversary. I am glad that you were very pleased with the junior suite and our central location in the town, as it is perfect for exploring all that Athlone has to offer. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the breakfast here. I already passed on your recommendations to the chefs and the staff in the restaurant, so that we could improve the quality and services of our breakfast. I apologize for the inconvenience caused due to the wedding nights. This month we are busy with the weddings in our hotel and I understand that our lobby and bar would be a little bit crowded as there were about 200 people who came for the wedding. I will share your words with the bar manager and M&E managers here to find out a best way to make this problem solved. I hope you will choose our hotel again for your next anniversary. And I am sure that those problems would be resolved at that time!

Drogheda, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

Myself and my wife stayed here for a single night on a bed and breakfast basis.

The hotel is located beside the river shannon in the centre of Athlone. It has a large free car park which is excellent. The hotel is spotless. We used the pool and gym. The pool is small but as expected and the area was clean and well maintained.

The room we had was a family room (not sure why when there was only two of us. Four beds to choose from!! The room was well equipped, comfortable and had everything you would expect. Bathroom had a bath and a separate shower and plenty of space.

The bar area is nice but wen we were there the weather was raining so the outdoor area was not being used. This led to there being a shortage of seating in the bar. The outdoor area is great overlooking the Shannon.

Breakfast was excellent. Everything you would want was available from fresh fruit to the full irish, the usual cereals, juices and a great selection of bread and pastries.

Overall super hotel and great location.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Snobbig
Dear Snobbig,
Thank you very much for taking time to write your review. It is a joy to have you and your wife with us at the hotel. I am pleased to hear that you had a good time in the gym and the pool during your short stay. I am also happy to hear that you were satisfied with your family room. It is a pity that because of the rainy weather, the decking area was not available and made the inside space a little bit crowded, as we are always taking the full advantage of the location that is beside the Shannon River, to make a more enjoyable experience for our guests. I will be passing on your positive comments to the chefs and the restaurant team, as well as all other staff here at the hotel. I hope you will return to us again soon and I look forward to welcoming you when you do!

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

Stayed one night in this hotel. Really enjoyed my stay. The room was very reasonably priced; we found the cheapest rate was booking directly with the hotel. The room was clean, spacious and modern. The hotel had a pool on site along with gym, sauna and steam room. The hotel itself was very nice but what really stood out was the hospitality of the staff. They really went above and beyond their call of duty, helping me out with a problem even after we had checked out.

We had lunch in the bar; it was reasonably priced with big portions and very tasty. The waitress was very helpful too.

The location was excellent-the town and both shopping centers are within walking distance.

Athlone itself has loads of nice shops, restaurants and bars. Loads of winding streets and of course the river. Well worth a visit.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Dear LainsGway,

Firstly I want to thank you sincerely for taking time to give us your feedback. I am happy to hear that you were pleased with your room and the great rates that we offered in the hotel. It is always great to hear kind comments regarding our staff, services and the facilities in the hotel. It is a joy to work with you and have your problems solved as you need any help during your stay here. I am delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable lunch in the bar and you were also impressed with our location, as it is a perfect opportunity to explore more fun in Athlone. I will be passing on your kind words to all the team here at the hotel. And we are looking forward to welcoming you back soon again!

Kildare, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

Myself and my husband stayed here on a 3 night midweek break (Supervalu deal, included one nights dinner) for €230 which was a great deal. The hotel is right in the middle of Athlone town so perfect walking distance to restaurants, bars, shops etc. The hotel itself is lovely, it's on the river shannon (take the viking boat trip to the hodson bay hotel and stay for lunch and he will collect you on the next round trip) and the bar has a lovely decking area which is lovely to eat or drink out on when weather is good which it was luckily for us! Hotel itself is modern and clean, our room was a good size, had a lovely big bed, lovely bathroom. We stayed on the first floor which was quiet (heard no other guests) apart from overlooking the car park, didn't mind but traffic was a bit noisy if you are a light sleeper. There is no air con so room did get a bit warm. Staff friendly, (Agnes) in restaurant . We ate in restaurant (see restaurant review) and bar. Bar menu/food not great, (chips pre salted), not nice, bar menu/food is what lets this hotel down, otherwise i would give it 5 stars. We would definitely stay here again and recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking river and if going as a couple ask not to be on a family floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Lilyb43,
Many thanks for taking your time to write the review on our hotel. I am delighted to hear that you had a great midweek break with us, and we made it a memorable experience for you. It is lovely to know that you were impressed with our location, as well as the staff and the services in our hotel. I will be passing on your kind comments to Agnes, and all other team at the hotel. I am happy to hear that you were satisfied with our guest room, though the traffic noise would be a problem for some rooms which are on the first floor. Also it is great to have good comments on our decking area, which is one of the attributes of the bar at the hotel. Meanwhile I regret to hear that our bar food was not that great for you. We are continuously seeking guest’s comments on the food and menu to ensure it is of a high standard. I have already shared your reviews with all the staff here in the bar. And I am sure that we will make this problem solved as soon as possible. We hope to welcome you back in the short future.

wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013 via mobile

The radisson never disappoints . It is a chain hotel but always clean, well maintained and staff helpful. The pool is a little cool but in midsummer that's an advantage. The rooms a little warm but windows help! The breakfasts are legendary in our family and we rarely need to eat again before evening! Keep up the good work!

• Stayed August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Sinead_Marron, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Dear Satisfied005,

Many thanks for taking the time to write your review, I am delighted that you are happy with our service. Apologies for the temperature of the room as due to the hot weather recently we understand temperatures in the rooms are higher than normal. It is great that you were so pleased with our food and I will pass on your comments to our head chef and the rest of the team here at the hotel!

Kind Regards,