“Terrible lunch and service”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Westmeath
“Terrible lunch and service”
Reviewed 27 September 2013

We are two adults and two toddlers looking for an afternoon snack. It was a beautiful day and we decided to eat here as we could sit outside and overlook the Shannon. I had to look for someone to give us menus and take our order. I ordered soup and potatoes for the toddlers, a standard enough request I would have thought. At first she didn't know what I meant and then told me they had no potatoes but she would check with the chef. Over 30 minutes later another server brought out half our food, she had to be asked where was the rest of our order. On tasting the toddlers soup and potatoes, I discovered that the potatoes were garlic potatoes. Seriously, how disgusting is that? I called over another server, called Avril, she was lovely and very helpful and horrified at what we had been served but said it was a regular occurrence and one of the girls was actually studying hotel management in college! God love the future of the hotel and service industry if that's what the future management is going to be like. My sandwich was just edible, bread was a bit hard and the tortilla chips was all the bits shook out from the end of the bag. I would never eat here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank GrainneDuffy2013
Sinead_Marron, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Dear GrainneDuffy,

I regret to hear that you were disappointed with experience in our bar.
We regularly receive very positive comments regarding our staff and so I am surprised and disappointed with your findings. I feel sorry to learn about the issues in relation to your lunch in our bar. I already passed on your comments to the managers and all the staff in the bar so we can make improvements in our food quality and service standards. Also I will share your kind words with Avril, I am sure that she would be delighted to hear your kind words of praise.
I hope you will consider returning to us again for a more pleasant experience. If you require any assistance in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Kind Regards,
Sinead Marron

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Wouldn't recommend this spot, not only because of the reputation Athlone is receiving re the drug issues there, but because this place gives the appearance of dirty. Our bed was clean and appeared clean, but furniture, carpets and bathroom did not. The room was well appointed and view was pretty good, but I suspect there have been one too many hen parties in it. Bath tub is dangerous, too high and slippery. Glass wall is falling off. Toilet creaks like it will fall off when sat on. Drapes off pull cord. Bar/lounge area is filthy. Furniture stained++ Service is slow. Food usual. Desk staff pleasant and ?? "too alert"??? Parking lot ok. Breakfast staff indifferent and rude. Room is freezing when storming.

5 Thank Joyce333
Dear Joyce333,

I regret to hear that you had such an unmemorable stay with us.
While I am happy to know that you were impressed with the view outside your room, and you were satisfied with the parking area, I am sorry to learn about the problems in the bathroom. I have passed on your comments to the housekeeping and maintenance team. I will be looking into the hygiene issues myself to ensure these issues are resolved as soon as possible. Also, I will share your recommendations to the bar manager to make sure that we will pay more attention to the hygiene standards.
It is a pity that we did not reach the standard as you expected. I definitely will be sending on your words to all the team at the hotel. We hope you will consider to coming back to us in the future.

Kind Regards,
Sinead Marron
Dublin
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Stayed here with my husband for a weekend break with dinner,
The Hotel is in a great location on the river with lovely views and right beside shops and bars
dinner was lovely but not a big menu to pick from which was a bit disappointing .
The bar area is lovely and the bar food was very nice.
We had a few problems with our room but they were very quick to change the room for us and even gave us a junior suite , the room was nice and big but have to say i would'nt put it to 4* standards. We have stayed in junior suites with a few Marriott Hotels and it really did'nt compare.
Rooms are nice but could do with some TLC .

3 Thank gc65
Banbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Fab location, lovely food, great modern feel, helpful staff.... but still a chain hotel with that 'corporate feel' you takes your pick....I would rather have stayed in a proper Irish owned establishment.Next time I will....

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking the river
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
wexford
Reviewed 15 September 2013

My expectations were high when booking this and I considered it a steal when booking at €89 but for that price I have stayed in much better. When I arrived I was among a number of drivers in the car park looking for spaces, incredible that such a big hotel has such a small amount of spaces. Check in was quick and easy, very helpful. Our room wasnt amazing. Our view was onto a small flat roof with about 6 big extractor fans on it facing us. We were also given a disabled bathroom, nothing wrong with that I guess but it would have been nice to have been told and the floor in those showers are not nice to walk on, with many gaps in the floor. The bed was lovely and had a nice sleep. Televisons are a bit dated, could really do with changing to flatscreen. The bar area however is nice and have a beautiful outdoor seating area. I would have no problem staying again but I think I would try my luck with another hotel first.

Room Tip: Do not get room 136, awful view
Kildare, Ireland
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Myself and my husband stayed here recently, a christmas present from our daughter. Firstly check-in was top notch , we arrived late in the evening while a wedding was gathering in the lobby area , Claudine was great and promptly checks us in with a big smile - which is rare these days . The views from the room were outstanding . That evening we ate in Quayside Bar , the bar was very busy and the staff seemed to be under pressure , Food was lovely all the same . I must single out the 3 lads in the bar Killian Mark and Paul , the service they provided was great and i must say its great to see staff talking to the customers i.e Mark was full of conversation . We didnt use the leisure facilities this time . Great Hotel , hope to be back soon.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mary r
Ireland
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We have just had a weekend at this hotel and really enjoyed our stay. Eddie booked through the hotel as he now has a Carlson loyalty card and it was a very good offer for B&B. We stayed Sat and Sun night. We did not book a room overlooking the river but when we went to our room we were delighted with a Shannon river view and the cruisers docked at the marina. The hotel itself is bright, warm and modern but not too boutique (thank goodness). The staff were all very friendly throughout our stay. Our room was a good size and nice and comfortable.Mattress and pillows also very comfortable. Working fridge was handy,free safe and tea/coffee making facilities (and hot choc, yum yum) large TV and tasteful decor made it a great room to come back to. Bathroom was nicely lit with bath and shower and washing line. There was only one drawback to the room ,it wasn't very soundproofed. There was music in the bar on Sat night but it was still very loud in our room on the 2nd floor above the bar, also had very loud guests in room next door on the saturday night but Sunday night all was quiet and peaceful (lovely)
We had the most fantastic breakfasts there. Everything was fresh and hot. Large selection of pasteries as well and gorgeous breads including gingerbread, also large choice of fresh fruits. Wonderful. We didn't have a main meal in the hotel as we like to go out but we did have a lunch there in the bar which had a good atmosphere and comfy seating along with lovely views of the river. Sandwiches, soup and 2 guinness was €17 so not bad price for a hotel.
Each morning we used the spa for a swim,sauna and steam room. Very easy and lovely and clean. All in all we had a most enjoyable stay and we really like Athlone.

Room Tip: We were in 217 which had lovely view but was just above the bar, so go higher.