“A trip to the Midlands”

Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
cork
“A trip to the Midlands”
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Great location in Athlone, fantastic view of the Shannon from the balcony off the bar and reception area. Had lovely meal on our first night in the restaurant. Pizza's from the bar menu on second evening not good quality and very tough. Lovely meal last night watching the setting sun from the outdoor balcony. Compliments to Sandra on reception, extremely helpful with suggestion of locations to visit and also to Hazel in the dining room. Reception and dining room staff were very friendly and helpful. Bar menu could do with improvement. Noisy neighbours on the room across the hall. Air con not wprking well - one room extremely warm and as windows cannot be opened for perfectly good safety reasons it proved necessary to request fan which did not really solve the problem. Would consider room with river view next visit

Room Tip: Would suggest rooms with view of river
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Sinead_Marron, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Dear MF,

Thank you for expressing your findings on the Radisson Blu Hotel Athlone.
It is great to hear you were impressed with the location and the decking area outside the bar, which is one of the best attributes at the hotel. We are always taking advantage of the location beside the Shannon River to provide a more comfortable environment to stay for the guests.
I regret to learn about the food quality in the bar and will pass on your comments and recommendations to the chefs in hope of making improvements. I understand that it was still warm in the last few days, and some rooms were in an uncomfortable temperature. I apologise for any inconvenience caused as a result of the heat and the noise in the rooms.
It is always a delight to hear good comments regarding on our staff. I will send on your kind words to Sandra and Hazel, as well as all the team at the hotel. I hope to welcome you again in the future.

Sinead Marron

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
ireland
Reviewed 7 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights in August. Location wise it is perfect, within walking distance of the town where there are some lovely restaurants.

Breakfast was buffet style and was v nice. Had dinner there on our second night, food absolutely gorgeous and quite reasonable.

Would stay here again without a doubt.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear sustyse,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us your findings on the Radisson Blu Hotel Athlone. I am glad to know you were impressed with the central location, which is perfect for exploring Athlone town and I am glad you took advantage of this. It is also lovely to get positive feedbacks on the breakfast buffet and the dinner in our Elements Bistro. We are currently updating new restaurant menus and seeking feedback from the guests, therefore I am glad to know you enjoyed your meals as it is really important for us.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon in the future.

ireland
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Stayed here for two nights attending a wedding at the kirk on the far side of the river. Check in a bit slow but it was very busy, no recognition of Carlston Club, Breakfast excellent, staff very pleasant and the rooms are getting a makeover. Paul on reception Thursday night was excellent. He came to our rescue when we needed help, much appreciated. The bar is a bit souless and the Guiness is not good at all. Very good location and the staff are very friendly

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank micra03
Dear micra03,

Firstly, I’d like to thank you sincerely for writing your review. It is always great to hear such good comments about our staff as we strive to ensure all our guests are treated with warmth and kindness. So I will be sending on your kind words to all the staff at the hotel, especially Paul.
It is lovely to know you were impressed with our location and you were happy with the breakfast buffet, while I regret to learn about the slow service in the reception and the quality of the Guinness in our bar. I will be sure to address it immediately to ensure that both issues are resolved.
I hope you will return to us in the future.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 3 October 2013

I use the Radisson for numerous business meetings.

I find the hotel itself in very good condition with the reception staff alway friendly and helpful.

The bar needs to improve service levels the encourage more business use.

Avril in the bar is very friendly and always has a smile for her customers.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Keith h,

Firstly I’d like to thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. It is a joy to work with you and it is always great to hear such positive comments regarding the staff and services here at Radisson Blu Hotel Athlone. I will be passing on your recommendations to the whole team at the hotel, so that we could improve the service standards in the bar. Also, I will be sure to send on your kind comments to Avril. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Nice modern Hotel. Good location in centre of Athlone. Staff friendly. Rooms clean and tidy. Got two good nights sleep with no noise at all. Breakfast was very very good. Will go back again. Very good.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear K_J143,

Many thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback. I am delighted to hear you were satisfied with your room and had an enjoyable stay at the hotel.
It is lovely to hear such kind comments regarding our location, room and the breakfast buffet, as well as our staff and services. I will be passing on your kind words to all the team here at the hotel. We are looking forward to your return in the near future.

Westmeath
Reviewed 27 September 2013

We are two adults and two toddlers looking for an afternoon snack. It was a beautiful day and we decided to eat here as we could sit outside and overlook the Shannon. I had to look for someone to give us menus and take our order. I ordered soup and potatoes for the toddlers, a standard enough request I would have thought. At first she didn't know what I meant and then told me they had no potatoes but she would check with the chef. Over 30 minutes later another server brought out half our food, she had to be asked where was the rest of our order. On tasting the toddlers soup and potatoes, I discovered that the potatoes were garlic potatoes. Seriously, how disgusting is that? I called over another server, called Avril, she was lovely and very helpful and horrified at what we had been served but said it was a regular occurrence and one of the girls was actually studying hotel management in college! God love the future of the hotel and service industry if that's what the future management is going to be like. My sandwich was just edible, bread was a bit hard and the tortilla chips was all the bits shook out from the end of the bag. I would never eat here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank GrainneDuffy2013
Dear GrainneDuffy,

I regret to hear that you were disappointed with experience in our bar.
We regularly receive very positive comments regarding our staff and so I am surprised and disappointed with your findings. I feel sorry to learn about the issues in relation to your lunch in our bar. I already passed on your comments to the managers and all the staff in the bar so we can make improvements in our food quality and service standards. Also I will share your kind words with Avril, I am sure that she would be delighted to hear your kind words of praise.
I hope you will consider returning to us again for a more pleasant experience. If you require any assistance in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Wouldn't recommend this spot, not only because of the reputation Athlone is receiving re the drug issues there, but because this place gives the appearance of dirty. Our bed was clean and appeared clean, but furniture, carpets and bathroom did not. The room was well appointed and view was pretty good, but I suspect there have been one too many hen parties in it. Bath tub is dangerous, too high and slippery. Glass wall is falling off. Toilet creaks like it will fall off when sat on. Drapes off pull cord. Bar/lounge area is filthy. Furniture stained++ Service is slow. Food usual. Desk staff pleasant and ?? "too alert"??? Parking lot ok. Breakfast staff indifferent and rude. Room is freezing when storming.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Joyce333
Dear Joyce333,

I regret to hear that you had such an unmemorable stay with us.
While I am happy to know that you were impressed with the view outside your room, and you were satisfied with the parking area, I am sorry to learn about the problems in the bathroom. I have passed on your comments to the housekeeping and maintenance team. I will be looking into the hygiene issues myself to ensure these issues are resolved as soon as possible. Also, I will share your recommendations to the bar manager to make sure that we will pay more attention to the hygiene standards.
It is a pity that we did not reach the standard as you expected. I definitely will be sending on your words to all the team at the hotel. We hope you will consider to coming back to us in the future.