“Wonderful Stay”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We celebrated the annual anniversary of our engagement at this wonderful hotel. Everything from the minute we checked in was just fantastic, our suite looking over the river as requested always brings back wonderful memories of my husband proposing to me there, our dinner in the restaurant was amazing as was breakfast and last but not least the staff were welcoming & helpful as always. Looking forward to next year ! Thank you Radisson Blu Athlone !

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank maryjam
Sinead_Marron, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Dear Maryjam,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone.
Congratulations on the anniversary of your engagement - we love to hear about proposals that take place in the hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay in one of our fabulous river view suites and that it brought back some wonderful memories for you both. I am delighted that the food in our Elements Bistro exceeded your expectations. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to all staff and to the chef regarding the food.

We look forward to welcoming you to the hotel next year.

Reviewed 16 January 2014

My husband and I stayed in the Radisson the 10th & 11th Jan. I booked a standard double room. The check in process was very efficient.

Now to the room…. The toilet was absolutely filthy. We requested to be moved to a different room. The second room seemed ok. The pressure in the shower was terrible and the wooden panel on the side of the bath was rotten. We’d get over these issues. However, when my husband picked up his towel after his shower, he found it was dirty. This was NOT acceptable. He spoke to the Manager who was very apologetic and we were moved to a suite with €25 to be taken off our bill. The suite was lovely – even if the duvet cover was ripped - but all we’re interested in is a clean room. If I wanted a suite, I’d have booked one!

Breakfast was fine, nothing special. We were told to take a seat anywhere and had to find a waitress to order our tea and coffee. Usually, we find that the order is taken when you’re shown to your table. They seemed to be very short staffed, because the manager was clearing tables. We didn’t eat in the hotel bar or restaurant – we had planned to on the Friday night, but decided to give it a miss after the saga with the rooms.

The following day, we came back to the hotel to find our room keys wouldn’t work. Not so much as an apology from the receptionist. On check out, our bill was wrong and we had to speak to the manager again to get it sorted out. The receptionist on duty at the time, I think her name was Kasia, was very polite.

Overall, we were very disappointed with the Radisson. While the manager looked after us and dealt efficiently with our complaints, this hotel is definitely not up to standard. The manager described it himself as “Fawlty Towers”. The Leisure Centre could also do with a bit of work – for example, the lock on one of the shower cubicles didn’t work. We’re not overly fussy and have never had reason to complain in a hotel before, but filthy toilets and dirty towels are an exception.

Athlone is a lovely town for a weekend away, and I would visit again in a heartbeat. I’ll probably book the Sheraton next time. My advice: stay well away from the Radisson.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IrishGal010

Dear IrishGal010,

I appreciate you taking the time to review the Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone. I am extremely disappointed to hear of the issues you experienced during your stay in the hotel. I would like to take this opportunity to apologise and I would be happy to talk to you in depth about your stay. Please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

I stayed in this Hotel on Saturday 11th January for one night only and to be honest it was one night too many,
The room was nice but the staff were so unfriendly on arrival to reception and the "Bar Manager" was rude unhelpful and let his place of employment down

Room Tip: room 113 was nice
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank johnC9723FP

Dear John,

I appreciate you taking the time to review the Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone. I am disappointed to hear that you were unimpressed with our staff. We regularly receive positive feedback regarding our staff and it is unfortunate that you did not experience this during your stay. I am sorry to hear that you found the Bar Manager unhelpful; I will look into this immediately.

I do hope should you choose to stay with us again that you will have a more enjoyable experience.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

Met up with friends and stayed here on Friday night . My first impression was 'wow' and it got better . I have to say the room was amazing -there was three of us sharing and it was big enough to host a party!.
The breakfast was great and there was a huge choice . The staff in the hotel were fantastic and could not have done enough for us. A lady called Avril Kiernan went that extra mile' for us . She was so helpful and went out of her way for us. She definitely knows how to treat her customers and make them want to come back to this hotel. She was so genuine and very professional. If there was a competition , I would recommend her for employee of the year.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Sinead_Marron, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Dear Clare,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone. I’m delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We pride ourselves on our Super Buffet Breakfast and I am happy to know that you enjoyed it. It’s great to know that you were impressed with our staff especially Avril Kiernan. I will pass on your kind words to Avril and all other staff.

We look forward to you visiting again.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

We stayed here over Christmas in a Jnr suite overlooking the river and it was great. Attentive staff, great spot and good food. Prices were fair and the place was well maintained by the team we will definitely go back.
The only down point was having to watch smokers spitting first thing in the morning whilst eating breakfast. Why on earth would you have a smokers point at the entrance foyer to a hotel? Absolutely disgusting!!

Room Tip: Ask for a River View and get to breakfast early
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Markbinherts

Dear Mark,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone. I am delighted to hear that you were impressed with our hotel and that you found the prices good value. The hotels smoking area is on the terrace beside the bar, however it is unfortunate that some guests choose to smoke at the front door of the hotel. We will monitor the smoking area and do our best to ensure that this does not happen again.

We look forward to you retuning to the hotel.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

Travelled here recently on a work trip. Check in was not impressive by any means. Very cold welcome with very little enthusiasm. No information was provided on the hotel, had to ask where to go to get to the rooms, what time breakfast, dinner etc was (all information that should be provided to a guest on check in) I was simply handed my keys and that was it. I'm aware that the information is provided in the room but I've stayed in many of the Radissons before so I'm aware of the check-in procedure that I normally receive in each of them. On a more positive note the breakfast staff and bar staff were very nice and particularly helpful in the bar despite how busy they were. All in all a good stay but I really felt reception as the first impression of the Hotel was not good and most definately needs improvement.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear Laura,

We appreciate you taking the time to review the Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone. I am disappointed to hear that you were not impressed with our reception staff and will pass your comments on to our Front Office Manager. I agree that the first impression of the hotel begins with the front office and we will put a strong focus on customer service, ensuring that information is provided to guests on arrival. I am happy to hear that you were impressed with our restaurant and bar staff and I will be sure to pass on your kind words to them.

We do hope you choose to stay with us again.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

We visited the bar and lounge today with family from england , We were greeted by a very friendly member of staff. He was very polite and attentive. the food was lovley and overall the staff who were working could not do enough to help us ! in particular our waiter ross was very helpfull when asked about the menu!.Will definitely be back again!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear Sarah,

I appreciate you taking the time to review the Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your visit to the Quayside Bar and Lounge. I am delighted that you were impressed with our staff. Customer service is very important to us. I will pass on your kind words.

We look forward to you visiting us again.