“Overnight stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
“Overnight stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

I attended a conference at the Radisson Hotel which was a great venue for a conference. I arrived at about 10 :00 am to set up. I was so delighted to be able to check into my room so early. The staff were so helpful and pleasant and made everything so easy.
The hotel is just a minutes walk from the town centre. The lunch and dinner was delicious . I had their home made burger for dinner which I would highly recommend if you like a good burger.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Sinead_Marron, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Hi Elaine O,

We are delighted to hear that you had such a positive experience at a conference with us recently and many thanks for providing us with feedback. I am delighted to hear that you felt Radisson Blu Athlone is a great venue for a conference. We always strive to ensure that all conferences and meetings have a positive experience in our hotel – an experience that meets their expectations. We ensure that staff is on hand to help in any way they can to ensure the smooth running of every meeting in our hotel.

Our central location is an important factor for all meetings that book with us – the Athlone Bus & Rail Station is merely a five minute walk from our hotel and is only 1.5hrs drive from Dublin and only 1hr drive from Galway. We are also happy to hear that you were happy with the food in our Elements Bistro and our Quayside Bar & Lounge. Our new Head Chef has just introduced new menus such as our Quayside Combo Midweek Menu.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Sinead Marron

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

Stayed in the hotel last Saturday and was disappointed as was expecting much more .
A trainee was in reception and made a number of errors which I totally understand but would suggest on a busy Saturday she is supervised !
She was to come back to us on availability and prices of the Keith Barry show, still waiting .
We tried to book dinner and she was to contact the room. When she failed to confirm the booking we tried a second time to only find out when we went to the restaurant the booking was never made !
The hotel was cold, the pool area was freezing and no staff present which meant a lot of kids messing in sauna and steam rooms . Not very relaxing which was the aim of our stay .
We had issues parking and when asked at reception was never informed of an underground car park ! Just told keep an eye out some people still had to check out and should get a space then !
On the positive sides, the room was clean however if tall avoid the 5 th floor, banged my head many a time , the food and staff in the restaurant lovely , however bread at start if the meal was left out to long and was hard, but food excellent .
Sadly - would not recommended or be rushing back - sorry

Hi Sdedcd3,

I am very disappointed to hear that your experience in Radisson Blu Hotel Athlone did not meet your expectations. We are delighted to welcome a new member to our Front Office Team but I will pass on your comments to our Front Office Manager to ensure this is taken into consideration when training new staff. In relation to the car parking - the underground car park is private residential parking for the adjacent apartments and I apologise that you were misinformed of this.

I will bring your experience of our Synergy Health & Leisure Club to the attention of its’ Manager. However, I am delighted to hear that you did enjoy the food in our restaurant and you found staff there helpful. I will pass on your kind comments to our Element’s Restaurant Manager and our Head Chef and I will be sure to mention to them how you found the bread.

I do hope that you will consider returning to us in the future to enjoy a more positive experience.

Dublin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

I stayed in the hotel last night. The reception staff whilst courteous weren't overly friendly. The room was just average. It was on the 5th floor (512) with two sloping velux windows (think it was the top floor). The room was clean but felt dated (e.g. old style TV), the bathroom felt functional, the iron wasn't a steam one and there was a vibration from an adjoining room beside the headboard of the bed (sounded like a/c). In addition the wi-fi wasn't strong enough to update twitter or look up any page on my phone. I disconnected from the wi-fi system and used my own 3G instead. As per a previous contributor, the room certainly did not reflect the 4 Star status of the hotel.

Breakfast this morning again was average. I gave my room number to the lady and took my own table. No tables in the restaurant were clean. I cleaned a bit of the table and eventually had to ask for the table to be cleared. The restaurant staff thereafter were helpful.

I also felt the rate (€79 B&B) was a lot for what I received. There wasn't anything necessarily wrong with my stay, the experience just left me underwhelmed.

Room Tip: Not Room 512
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Sinead_Marron, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Hi fintyflanagan,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback of your recent stay with us. I am disappointed to hear that the room you stayed in did not meet your expectations. We always want all our guests to enjoy their stay with us and encourage them to make us aware of anything that may make their stay with us anything but a great experience. Therefore, we value the detailed feedback you have provided us with and our Front Office Manager is currently inspecting room 512.

Our four star status is something that we pride ourselves on and we work continuously to ensure that we meet the expectations that it implies. Free Wi-Fi is available to all guests of the Radisson Blu Athlone and I will certainly make our IT manager aware of the difficulties you experienced using it. I will also pass on your comments to our Restaurant Manager and ensure this is looked in to – but I am pleased to hear that you found our staff helpful.

We do hope that you will consider returning to us in the near future to enjoy a more positive stay with us here on the Banks of the River Shannon.

Kindest Regards,

Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

I am just back from a quiet hen party where we had a cocktail making class in the radisson hotel athlone. We had 10 ladies and were allocated 2 bar men in one of the business suites and made 2+ cocktails each from 6 or 7 menu options, they also made Mocktails. The 'bar' was nicely set up and the bar men happily got the crowd going and let us take photos galore. We had the room for longer than originally discussed and staff were very accomodating, our numbers changed at the last minute and we were still charged just €15 per person, a real bargain and much recommend.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Sinead_Marron, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Hi Itinerant83,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience of a hen party here in our hotel. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our cocktail making class and that you would recommend it to those who are organizing Hen Parties. I will be sure to pass on your comments to all those involved in making your hen party a success.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

Hi, Stayed there on the 20th February. Only stayed one night but found the hotel and staff very pleasant. Room was a really good size and although we had not booked breakfast, there was the usual tea and coffee facilities which sufficed. The room was large and warm enough with a massive bed, I think it was two doubles locked together and was very comfortable. The view was not exactly hectic, over the swimming pool/ leisure facility whilst the rooms on the other side of the hotel had the expanse of the Shannon river. Did not use the spa but met a family equipped with towels who were looking forward to a dip in the pool and they seemed happy. A good central location from which to explore the town on foot. Yes, I will be back for a weekend next time.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi OllieODublin,

Many thanks for reviewing your recent stay in our hotel on Tripadvisor. I am happy to hear that you found the hotel and staff pleasant. We always pride ourselves on our ideal location for those who are coming to explore Athlone – its central location is a perfect starting point for those visiting Athlone.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back next time – and please do let us know that you were here before and we will do our best to provide you with a river view room.

Cork, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

I booked this hotel as a 4 star. Very disappointing dull,morbid hotel.
The rooms are very old fashioned, and need a lot of refurbishment.
The leisure centre is very dated, but has a warm pool, sauna and steam room.
Very friendly staff.
Food is good.
Lovely outside boardwalk for the summer time.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Hi Colm54321,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your recent stay with us and we value your opinions. I am very disappointed to hear that you did not feel that we lived up to your expectations. Currently we are redecorating our bedrooms. In relation to our Synergy Health and Leisure Club we just recently renovated a new gym space allowing for new Keiser Bikes to be part of our gym as we always strive to offer our members and guests alike a varied and enjoyable leisure experience. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our swimming pool facilities.

I will be sure to take all your comments on board, and pass on your findings to all relevant departments.

We do hope that you will come back to visit us in the near future for a more positive experience.

Sinead Marron General Manager
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

On the second floor with my wife and toddler. I think Elvis and his band may be in the bathroom if I open the door. Some function on down stairs and I am thinking of getting back up out of bed to party. (Not!). Well it has me awake so I might as well update trip advisor. Wouldn't recommend this for a family stay. Don't want to ring reception to complain as that may kick of the wee fella. This wasn't the scenario I expected when I thought I was paying top dollar for an overnight stay.

• Stayed February 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Dano1973
Hi Dano1973,

I am disappointed to hear that you did not have a good sleep when you stayed here with us last. Thank you for letting us know of your experience and I will pass on these comments to our Reservations Manager. We always look forward to welcoming families to our hotel and we hope that you will come back to us in the future.