“Mixed experience”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Reviewed 18 April 2014

OK, the positives; good location, great entrance/public areas and really decent size family room. Breakfast was good quality and there was plenty of choice. Parking onsite was free.

We did have problems with the room; the décor was great and modern, but routine maintenance was a problem. The safety blocks on the attic skylight were missing on two of the windows and despite reporting twice during our stay they weren't put right. The lights above the bed weren't working and closer inspection found exposed wires on the plastic lamp holder. There were other minor maintenance issues where repairs were done to a poor standard; door handle, toilet roll holder.

Unfortunately we stayed at the same time as the family from hell (well somewhere in Ireland at least). We had a mix of arguments, shouting and kids running up and down the corridor until around 3-4am. We raised this with the manager who had already been made aware of the problem by another sleepy guest!

I tend to judge management on the response to a complaint, not always the complaint itself. Within a hour or so a basket of fruit and snacks has been dropped off in the room with a 'sorry' note from the hotel management, which we thought was thoughtful.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Jim M
Sinead_Marron, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Hi Jim M,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback from your recent stay. Our central location is ideal for those who want to explore what Athlone has to offer. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our range of breakfast food available for guests. I am happy to hear that you liked the decor of your room – we regularly receive compliments on its modern feel and cleanliness.

In relation to maintenance, thank you for bringing this to my attention. I have spoken with our maintenance manager and this will be addressed. We do appreciate you taking the time to bring these issues about your room to our attention.

In relation to the other family in the hotel, I am disappointed to hear that you were unable to sleep. However, I am happy to hear that our manager responded to this disturbance.

Once again, we take all comments seriously and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

There are newer reviews for Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone

Reviewed 15 April 2014

We got this hotel for 70 euro for one night. When we arrived the receptionist was slow as she was dealing with another customer, it would have been ok if she apologised for the delay but she did not. The room itself was a good size. We booked it through booking.com and asked for a double room but we got a twin room, one of the cleaning staff came up and pushed the beds together for us so thank you to that staff member! We got a room facing the car park and there were road works out the front we had to drive around the whole hotel to get to it as the main road to it was closed off. I think the hotel should have emailed us out of courtesy to advise us that there was road works and to give us directions to the hotel. We had dinner at the hotel and girl that served us was very nice and friendly and the food was lovely and we sat at the window which had a lovely view of the river. We didnt have breakfast at the hotel so i cant comment on that. On checkout there were 2 girls at reception, they asked us was everything ok and we said it was noisy at the front because of the roadworks and she just laughed and said "ya and its gonna be right in front of the door tomorrow so its going to be noiser again"... I think an apology would have been better than laughing in our face. Overall nice hotel, its a pity about the roadworks, it really ruined our stay as we got engaged a few hours after we left there!

Room Tip: try get a room with a river view
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HelenBling2015
Sinead_Marron, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Hi helenduc,

First and foremost I would like to congratulate you both on your recent engagement and wish you a lifetime of health and happiness. Secondly, I appreciate you taking the time to provide us with feedback from your recent stay in our hotel. I am happy to hear that you were pleased with the size of your bedroom and am delighted to hear that our housekeeping staff were so helpful.

I am disappointed to hear of your difficulties in locating our hotel and I will be sure to inform our Front Office manager of your delay in finding the hotel. I am happy to hear that you had a positive experience in our Quayside Bar and that both the service and food met with your expectations.

We are very fortunate that our Quayside Bar is located on the River Shannon and in the summer months it really offers such spectacular views. I will pass on your comments regarding checkout to our Front Office manager and ensure it is looked in to.

I do hope that you return to us in the future and we look forward to welcoming you both back.

Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed in the hotel for 2 nights while attending a conference in a neighbouring one. The room itself was clean and comfortable. The staff were very friendly and there was a good choice for breakfast. Only real quibble I would have would be the wifi. I had 3g on phone and iPad so it wasn't a huge issue. But I would have expected a better standard of wifi than was available.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Hi toruairc,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. I am delighted to hear so many positive comments and that you enjoyed our room. I am happy to hear that our staff were friendly and helpful.

I am disappointed to hear that the wifi was not connecting for you. I will bring this to the attention of our IT manager and ensure this is looked in to.

I do hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

Always a warm and friendly greating from the staff with a beautiful location on the banks of the Shannon. An ideal venue for a holiday and close to the main industrial estates for buiness. Breakfast is normally a buffet with a pancake maker that you select yourself for instant fresh pancakes. If it is a special occasion the rooms which look out over the River are fantastic. Also just a few minutes walk to Shauns bar, the oldest in Ireland and in the Guiness book of records. Fantastic restaurants, all close with varied pricing.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels

Hi andre b,

Thank you to taking the time to give us your feedback from your recent stay. It is great to hear you enjoyed your stay, especially our breakfast buffet and I’m glad to hear you liked our fresh pancakes. Indeed Seans Bar is the oldest bar in Ireland, very often visited by our guests and we also have our own Quayside Lounge overlooking the River Shannon.

We look forward to seeing you again in our hotel.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

I stayed here again for second occasion
This is a lovely hotel with a great location on the Shannon river in athlone
Rooms are really nice and comfortable and hotel is very quiet.
Breakfast is fantastic and a real treat for anyone staying here.
Staff are very nice and helpful
This is a great hotel to stay for a break

Room Tip: Don't miss staying here you will enjoy a lot
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Hi pete j,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. I am delighted to hear so many positive comments. It is great to hear that your room was comfortable and nice for you. Also I am happy to hear that you found our staff nice and helpful during your recent stay. I am delighted to hear that you were pleased with our varied selection of food on offer in our Breakfast Buffet.

I look forward to welcoming you to our hotel in the future.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Stayed here for one night B&B. Nothing overly impressed me, it just felt like a bed for the night.
The staff didn't do anything more than what they needed to do, they weren't rude but they weren't welcoming either...
I booked a double room for me & my partner, we rarely get away together and when we got the room it was two twin beds stuck together, it wasn't comfortable, I kept slipping between the crack so we had to sleep either side... But in saying that I didn't ask for a different room because we got back from dinner late enough & we didn't think that it would be as bad beforehand. They may have been accommodating if I had have asked.
Breakfast was nice and fresh with a good selection of cereals and fruit. I didn't have hot food as the hotel was so warm I thought I'd pass out if I added a hot breakfast to it!
Overall it was fine for an overnight stay if you are not expecting much more than a standard B&B. I think for what we got we overpaid, €120ish.
The best thing about it was the location, very central & walking distance to everything so no taxis required!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi TravelJenn1,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your recent stay. I am disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We focus a lot on our customer service and I am disappointed to hear that it was not an experience that our customers usually enjoy. I regret to hear that your room was not as you expected. We are always delighted to accommodate our guests requests whenever they are brought to our attention.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our varied selection of cereals and fruit on offer in our breakfast buffet. Our location is something which all our guests are pleased with as we are in the heart of Athlone.

We look forward to welcoming you again to our hotel.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Externally unimpressive, internally a whole different story. Very modern, welcoming reception. Warmly greeted by an employee who was in-training but was smiling, efficient and informative. There was an issue over "Breakfast-included" or not but it was professionally dealt with by both her and the hotel manager and a solution was quickly sorted. Luckily, I managed to get one of the new updated rooms. They were impeccably clean, fresh, modern and decorated to a high standard. The bathroom / shower was spotless. The room did become uncomfortably warm during the night but the thermostat quickly solved that. The leisure centre was also great and staff there were very accommodating and courteous. Without doubt, breakfast was most impressive, copious and wide-ranging and the morning staff were fantastic, smiling, hard-working and friendly. Indeed this was a most pleasant and relaxing stay during a very busy working schedule. Will definitely be back in the near future.

Room Tip: 329 was well-appointed, updated and newly decorated.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Hi foxymm,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback from your stay with us. It is wonderful to hear so many positive comments. Guests service is very important to us and it is pleasing that you found the service friendly and helpful. Our staff are highly trained and are always ready to find the solution to any issue.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel in the near future.