“The first Hotel in Ireland I have not recommended.”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Rossendale, United Kingdom
“The first Hotel in Ireland I have not recommended.”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We arrived at 9pm on a Thursday evening following a drive down from Dublin. The road works surrounding the Hotel made entering the Car Park a Krypton Factor Challenge! I eventually drove down a closed road onto the car park. All the disabled bays were occupied but reception advised us to park in front of the reception on the yellow lines which was fine.

Our family room was on the top floor and devoid of any normal windows but had four Velux windows which gave the feeling of being in the attic. (we were) Unbelievably, it was ALL LIGHTS ON or none at all. Even the sockets were on the light switch so the bedside lamps went out.

We went down to the lounge and after complaining, the manager sorted out one lamp in one side of the double room. He had achieved this by pulling the television out of its cabinet and accessing the socket behind? The lamp was therefore in an unnatural place in front of the TV.

I must stress this was a very large double adjoined room and the light switch illuminated both rooms like a football pitch. Our two boys needed the lights reducing to be able to sleep and our disabled son needs attention throughout the night without waking everyone else up.

Whilst in the lounge it was a song and dance getting served with drinks. The till was playing up and my wife spent over 10 minutes waiting for them to even start serving her. (No one else was waiting) After the Guinness had settled and she returned to the table it was over 15 minutes. No offer was made to bring the drinks to us even though there were three behind the bar.

I must stress that the rest of our holiday in Ireland involved three other Hotels. The high quality of service in these establishments knocked this hotel into a cocked hat.

We went for breakfast at 9.30am. It was a buffet and all the food had been hanging around and seen better times.

By 10am the lounge was full of business people and as such, we entertained our guests on the sun terrace which was outstandingly picturesque, overlooking the River Shannon.

It became obvious that half the Hotels rooms on the North Side and overlooking the sun terrace had been let out and was in effect a tenement block This was not something we expected. We did not avail ourselves to the Spa or other facilities.

In short we would not go back or recommend this FOUR STAR Hotel. There were stains on the carpet of our room and the smell of urine in the bathroom was unpleasant. It was by far the most expensive but most disappointing Hotel of our holiday. I have stayed in Raddison Hotels before and this unfortunately is not what I expected. We stayed at Athlone's Creggan Court Hotel last year and it was far better than here and half the price.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Cloonloo
Sinead_Marron, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Hi Cloonloo,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback from your recent stay in our hotel. It is only with feedback such as yours that we are able to improve and correct elements that guests were not pleased with during their stay with us.

We are very fortunate to have such large spacious family rooms in our hotel; however I am disappointed to hear of your difficulties with the light switches. I will bring this to our maintenance department’s attention and ensure that this is looked into. I will also speak with housekeeping in relation to your bathroom. I am pleased to hear that one of our managers dealt with your issue relating to the bedside lamp, however I understand that the solution was not ideal having the lamp in front of the television.

I am disappointed to hear of your experience in our bar. I will speak with our bar manager to inform him of the difficulty you experienced in relation to service. In relation to the breakfast buffet I will pass on your feedback to our Head Chef.

I regret to hear that you felt your stay here was not as enjoyable as you had expected. We pride ourselves on always making each guests stay enjoyable and it is very disappointing to hear that this was not the case for you.

I do appreciate you providing us with detailed feedback which I can now investigate and work on with my team.

We do hope that you will consider returning to us in the future for a more pleasant stay.

Kindest Regards,
Sinead Marron

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 7 May 2014

My wife and I stayed for 1 night in March. Beautiful hotel. I must say be had one of the best dinners ever!! Food is execellent!! not only the restaurant for dinner but the bar food and breakfast too!
The staff at reception and in restaurant for dinner/breakfast were super friendly
**The pancake machine at breakfast is a brilliant thing that every hotel should have....
Will definitely be back ....

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Sinead_Marron, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Hi Steve R,

We appreciate you taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you had such a positive experience. I will certainly pass on your feedback to our Head Chef to let him know that you enjoyed our food after dining in our Elements Bistro and Quayside Bar. I am pleased to hear that you found our staff helpful and friendly - we regularly recieve compliments that our staff help to make our guests stay more enjoyable.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Craigavon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Stayed one night only for a birthday celebration and found the experience first class in every way.
The River View room 409 booked with a Grabone voucher was of excellent quality, quiet and enjoyed
the view of the Shannon. Staff at check-in friendly and efficient.
Appreciated the offer of 8 euro full breakfast by booking at check-in and evening meal in the main
restaurant very good value. Did not use leisure facilities so cannot comment.
No hesitation in making a return visit.

Room Tip: Choose a river view room
Hi samos1304,

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for providing us with feedback. I am pleased to hear that our reception staff were friendly and efficient which helped to make your stay more enjoyable. We are very fortunate to be located on the banks of the River Shannon which affords our guest such wonderful views.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future for another enjoyable stay.

Athlone, Ireland
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We recently spent mothers day and my nephews confirmation at the Elements Bistro at the Radisson Blu hotel Athlone, the service was absolutely superb our waitress for the day was Avril Keirnan and she could not have been more helpful she saw to our every need without being intrusive, she certainly is an asset to the restaurant, all of the staff i've encountered at the Radisson are very polite and friendly which is great because it encourages you to return and recommend others.The food on both occasions was fab,would highly recommend this restaurant for high class service and excellent food.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Hi collyfeery,

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your meal in Elements Bistro recently. We regularly receive such kind compliments about Avril and I will be sure to let her know that she helped to make your time spent in the hotel enjoyable. I will also let our Head Chef know that you enjoyed the food on the day.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Tullamore, Ireland
Reviewed 2 May 2014

i was treated to a night in the raddison for my 21st with my boyfriend, was a lovely way to spend my birthday the room was amazing decorated with a beach colour theme with a huge bed and staff was so friendly. we were in the middle of athlone town so was great for going out for a meal. i had a few drinks at the bar it was beautifully decorated as it was near christmas time! breakfast was included for 2 in the price of just 69 euro it was an all you could eat buffet style with evry type of fruit , cereal bread and fry up you could think of , i felt like a kid in a candy shop stacking my plate with all this food! really enjoyed my stay :)

Room Tip: as for a room with a view as unfortunately our view was just another building
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi Sarah M,

Thank you for writing a review of your stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and happy birthday! I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the décor of your room and that you found our staff friendly. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast – we regularly receive compliments on the wide variety of breakfast items available for guests.

We look forward to welcoming you both back in the near future.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Delighted to find a Radisson deal on a group-scheme website I booked a night away with the girlfriend. Having stayed in three other Radissons- both Dublin branches and a week in Malta last summer I had high expectations for the next 24hours. It has become evident since we arrived that you only get what you pay for.

Receptionist- Pleasant and helpful.

Standard Double Room is comfortable- decor dated but room is clean(ish)- stains on carpet and curtains. Mounted metallic lamp on one side of bed is literally snapped off. Bathroom is nicely decorated but pressure in shower & bath (most important aspect in my opinion) is a trickle and not the power washer one would find in other hotels of this calibre. Do not be fooled by the pictures on the website or the nice standard rooms in the other Radissons.

I am only four hours into my stay and felt compelled to give a review after visiting the 'leisure' centre. After leaving the girlfriend to have a bath (which later transpired to have changed to a shower due to the water pressure) I made my way to the leisure centre. Receptionist was friendly. Dressing room was filthy and floor covered in nuts?? Toilet was stinking and I was glad to leave for the pool deck. However after hopping into the water I realised the pool floor was as dirty as the dressing room. Having worked in the leisure industry myself I know this is a big nono. Sauna was excellent but steam room although also excellent smelled like a sports locker room- no joke I genuinely had to leave after approximately thirty seconds. Is this Leisure Centre actually owned by the Radisson Group??

Now I am back in my room writing this- Its not in my nature to complain- this is the first negative review I have ever written but I paid to stay in a Radisson and I genuinely feel like I have arrived in the wrong hotel.

Room Tip: Business Class room it appears gets all the attention.....
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Sinead_Marron, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Hi Tom q,

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with feedback on your recent stay; however we are very disappointed to see that you did not enjoy your time with us.

In relation to your accommodation I will bring what you have pointed out to me to our Front Office manager and our House Keeping department’s attention and ensure that this is looked in to. In relation to the pressure in the shower I am disappointed to hear that you felt the pressure was not strong enough – I will ask maintenance to look into this. It is only with feedback such as yours that we are able to identify features that guests would have preferred to be different and try to meet their expectations the next time they stay with us.

In relation to Synergy Health and Leisure Club I regret to hear of your experience. I will bring each and every concern to our Synergy Health & Leisure Club Manager and ensure they are investigated into immediately.

However, I am happy to hear that you found our reception staff friendly and helpful during your stay. We regularly receive compliments on how our staff make guests stay more enjoyable.

We do hope that you consider returning to us in the future and look forward to welcoming you back for a more enjoyable experience.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I stayed for a 3 night stay (21st April/23 April 2014) at the Radisson Hotel in a Business class room which was cleaned to a very high standard making our stay very comfortable ( so thank you housekeeping). These rooms have magnificient views over the river Shannon and are that little bit special.

The hotel is situated right in the centre of Athlone town, so if you arrive by car you park up and forget about it until your going home.

The hotel itself is very modern and continental looking. The bar and outside bar are fantastic, the staff are friendly and very attentive.

The bar food is brilliant and I think the idea of the evening special for €11.50 is a fantastic idea, as for the barbeque afternoon, a steal at €10.50. got to be the best burgers ever.

The bistro is very continental and beautifully laid out, and it was fantatic to see the old familiar face of Avril each morning as I knew her from another hotel. She is such a professional person but has the personal touch and has words with both young and old when seating all for breakfast. Avril is the right type of person in the hospitality world, its all down to that personal touch that warmth mixed with professionalism.

Overall stay at the Radisson Can't wait to come back.

Thanks to all management and staff for a great stay. See you all soon

Valerie Carroll

Room Tip: Business class
1 Thank Valerie C
Hi Valerie C,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your recent stay.

I am pleased to hear so many positive comments from you especially that you were comfortable in your room and were able to enjoy the view of the River Shannon. I will be sure to let housekeeping know that their hard work is appreciated and that it helped to make your stay enjoyable.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our special Quayside Combo Deal. When you visit again make sure to try it on a different night because Monday – Thursday every week there is a different offer.

I am glad that you found our staff friendly and very helpful. I will pass on your kind words to Avril as she continuously receives excellent feedback from customers and always strives to make them feel welcome.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.