Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone
Hodson Bay Hotel(Athlone)
US$205
US$172
Orbitz.com
Athlone Springs Hotel(Athlone)(Great Value!)
US$133
US$118
Travelocity
The Prince of Wales Hotel(Athlone)(Great Value!)
US$226
US$219
Hotwire.com
Creggan Court(Athlone)(Great Value!)
US$103
US$100
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
The Grand Hotel(Moate)(Great Value!)
US$108
Cooneys Hotel(Ballymahon)
US$171
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
No availability for your dates from our partners
1,815 results
All reviewsavril kiernana business class roomoverlooking the rivershannon riverfamily suitehotel is in a great locationbar foodbar staffhot foodcentre of townbar areabreakfast was excellentsteam roomgreat selectionstayed here for one nightenjoyable stayfood was lovely
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My husband and I chose this hotel as, by reputation we know the Radisson chain to be good quality hotels and a good standard of accommodation...we particularly wanted a high standard of accommodation as we intended to treat a very dear friend as our guest who joined us from overseas..( English is not her first language ) we wanted everything to be special.and smooth for our two night stay...we also chose this hotel for it's perfect proximity to Athlone town centre and, last, but not least, when we read that parking was available at the hotel and free of charge this was also a most inportant factor in making our choice of accommodation... we came to this hotel with high expectations..

Sadly our expectations were not met...the car park was full on our arrival after a very long drive to reach Athlone..looking for a car space was most stressful and then we were advised later by reception staff that the car park also served as a public car park!! I appreciate that there was a wedding on the evening of our arrival but why advertise "free parking" as part of hotel facilities if the car park is also a public one and liable to be full from time to time? (weekends, of course. when most guests arrive a pure nightmare...!) Does that mean one takes "pot luck" parking at the hotel?? We were most tired and frustrated looking for a car space and we finally had to park on the street after at least a half an hour's futile search... not a very good start to our stay!!!

We checked into our room which was nothing special..only very adequate...maintenance needed re: furniture and I thought it lacked some little touches especially for a four star establishment ..I could, just for one example say that the TV was really old fashioned and dated..most hotels, even 3 star ones, have plasma screen TVs now.. we have stayed in other hotels with a lower star rating and been very pleased without any complaint and did not pay anything like what we paid for this room..

However the real problem started when our friend who was in a single room attempted to sleep and unfortunately her room was directly over the function room where a wedding reception was in full swing until 3am..she was extremely tired as had an exhausting journey to get to Athlone and she phoned reception twice to ask for help as she could not sleep one bit..she was told by reception staff member that although he was very sorry he could not do anything at all to help her..he said he couldn't stop the wedding!! ( very unprofessional indeed!) Our friend pointed out to the receptionist that she herself was a guest too and needed to be considered and helped.. I appreciate the hotel was most likely full on account of the wedding but this was not very customer service orientated in my view and this staff member made no effort or used any initiative in my view to help or appease our friend as this noise was most distressing..Our friend pointed out to this staff member also that in every room there is a message from the Radission Blu CEO stating that if guests are unhappy with any aspect of their stay they should tell any member of staff and the problem would be sorted and if not a money back guarantee....no, we are not looking for money...the message from the Radisson Blu CEO is self explanatory..it is in every room for all guests to see..

On a positive note and , to be fair, the next morning, our friend made a formal complaint at reception about her horrible noise experience and lack of help from reception and the receptionist Claudine, at least listened attentively, empathised and apologised and upgraded my friend to a "Junior Suite" with a lovely view of the Shannon and boats...my poor friend therefore had a decent night's sleep in a quiet comfortable room on the second night of our stay..

Other positives..I am trying to be as fair in my review as possible...Breakfast was fine...there was a good choice and we have no complaints at all on that score..also the location in Athlone was superb being so near the restaurant area and the castle and the view of the boats on the Shannon was a lovely sight from the hotel

What was such a pity also on check out the receptionist never asked if we enjoyed our day...this may seem a small point but I have travelled enough to suggest it is an important one..the check out was sadly purely functional without a smile..

I feel in summary this hotel has so much potential with a beautuful river scene and in an excellent location ...such a pity the above points have brought it down in our estimation ..

Unfortunately we will not be staying in this hotel again on a return trip to Athlone..too many hitches during our stay

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a QUIET room if you value your sleep especially if checking in at weekends...!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Sinead_Marron, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Hi FinolaCorkIreland,

I appreciate you taking the time to provide us with detailed feedback in relation to your recent stay with us. I want to take this opportunity to assure you that all points you have brought to my attention will be followed-up and investigated into. We hope to make every guests stay enjoyable and it is deeply disappointing to learn that this was not so in your case.

In relation to our car park, this is for guests of the hotel only and is not open to the public as our receptionist unfortunately misinformed you. In relation to your experience of our reception staff, I will speak with our Front Office Manager about all the points you have outlined.

I am disappointed that your friend was unable to sleep during the night of your wedding. Unfortunately these weddings have been booked months, even years in advance, and it is the nature of weddings that they last into the early hours of the morning. I am pleased that when your friend did speak with Claudine she felt her complaint was heard and she was offered a complimentary upgrade.

As you have pointed out, our central location is ideal for exploring Athlone town and being located on the banks of the River Shannon affords such beautiful views. I am also happy to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast.

I am very disappointed to hear that you will choose to stay somewhere else next time. We do hope that you reconsider and return to us for a much more enjoyable experience.

Once again, thank your review.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

I was travelling west and decided to use the hotel to break - the room was surprsisingly spacious - it was a oft room with lots of skylights which opened and had an amazing view of the river. I was too late to eat but had a glass of wine - staff were really nice an directed me to a place I could grab a bite. Breakfast was FABULOUS - the nicest I have experienced in this class of hotel - was I swayed by pancake maker? Perhaps but everything else was fresh, local for the most part and delicious... very happy stay!

Room Tip: As for a room on top floor for amazing views and an airy room...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Hi BACB122,

I am delighted to hear that you got the opportunity to stay with us here on the banks of the River Shannon while exploring the West of Ireland. I am pleased to hear that you found our staff helpful and I will be sure to let our Head Chef know that you enjoyed your breakfast.

We do hope that you will be able to make a trip here to us again in the near future.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We had had a long day travelling by boat and car but the welcome in reception and at dinner was brilliant as indeed was the service over two days. This is a busy hotel but nothing was too much trouble and the ladies at breakfast and dinner were new found friends

Room Tip: I guess the rooms overlooking the river will give an excellent view, but the standard is good wherever you find yourself
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Sinead_Marron, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Hi Alexander G,

Thank you for posting your review of our hotel. I am happy to hear that you were pleased with our friendly staff and restaurant. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed breakfast and hope you will be able to experience our Elements restaurant on your next visit.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

It was a while ago now , but I had the misfortune to stay in this hotel when the fire alarm went off in the middle of the night and the place was evacuated.

To my horror, some of the fire exits were locked much to the panic of the 2 children I was with.

I complained at the time of my say and in writing afterwards.

While my complaint email was acknowledged, I never received a response or any indication that measures would be taken to prevent it happening in the future.
(I still have the emails)

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Hi BarryDV,

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. Regarding the issue with the fire exits, we will launch an internal investigation and should your claims be substantiated please be assured we will take serious action to address this.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com