“Breakfast a big let down. A lot of noise from above”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Myself and my girlfriend stayed here this weekend for our second time ( the first been 3 yrs ago). The breakfast was disgusting and uneatable as it was 3 years ago. There was a lot of noise form the room above us this morning, despite complaining there was still noise at 12 when we were leaving ( about 2 hours after we complained). The hotel is in a great location and all the pubs and restaurants are within walking distances. If we return we will book room only accommodation as there is a lot nicer places to eat within a 5 minute walk.

Stayed: July 2014
Sinead_Marron, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Hi Matthew W,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback of your stay. I am disappointed to hear that you were unhappy with our breakfast facilities. I will pass on your feedback to our Head Chef and Restaurant Manager.
With regards to your noise complaint it was unfortunate there was disruption that morning, I will investigate this with the duty manager who was working on the morning of your departure.

We hope that you consider returning to us in the near future for a more enjoyable experience.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

I have stayed here twice with my girlfriend, once in December 2013 and again in July 2014 and I can say this hotel was lovely both times

The Room:
The room was very well maintained and clean. The bed was very big and comfortable and the bathroom was perfect with a great shower. The only fault we really had with the room was that the temperature control both times we stayed was completely useless, the most recent time we stayed it was very warm out and the heat in the room was almost unbearable. We even had to go as far as to buy a small fan from a nearby Euro Giant.

Location:
The location is perfect, it is right in the center of Athlone town about 3 minutes from the pubs and restaurants and 5 minutes from the main shopping area. It is also 2 minutes from the Bus/Train Station so if you don't have a car you are in luck.

The Facilitates:
The restaurant and bar are both lovely, the breakfast is great and the food in the bar was pretty good too. I didn't use the gym but the pool was nice, it is only 1.2m deep and is unattended so you will find children diving into the pool but if it is quiet it will be perfect for a swim, there are also Steam and Sauna rooms.

Overall the Radisson Blu, Athlone was a great place to stay and I will defiantly be staying here again when I am in Athllone.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi BrendanOBrienIRL,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and that you were very happy with our breakfast and our bar food menu. Maybe on your next stay with us you could experience our restaurant, Element’s Bistro, which is currently offering a ‘Summer Saver’ 3 course menu for €20 per person.

I am disappointed to hear you had trouble with the temperature of your room and I will see that this is investigated into.

We pride ourselves on our location and are happy to hear you were able to take advantage of it.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

I booked this last minute for a family break as we all needed it and went hoping that it would be alright. Athlone isn't always the kind of place you would go to but it was a good deal and I often stay in Radisson's so I knew it would be to a certain standard.
IT turned out great, we had a family suite which was one of the nest we've stayed in.
Big double bed with seating area and tv for the parents with the bathroom off of it and a separate area (partitioned off by a wall to the kids beds with 2 single beds and TVfor them also had a large desk and storage/wardrobe area.
All very good, clean and contemporary.
The stay was great, the staff so helpful and Athlone itself was undiscovered and new to us. Its an ok place with a nice bay area with walks and some not bad shopping but a good location to go and discover Westmeath.
The hotel is so central its a 2 minute walk into the centre of town where there is the shopping centre, other local shops, bars and restaurants. a 4 minute walk to the river and walks or the old castle and other tourist things.
It was pretty busy as the hotel goes so is obviously popular for its facilities and location.
we ate in the restaurant the first night and it was very good with great selection and good quality/portions with super option for kids. All in all a very family friendly hotel with everything you need for a good family trip. I will be back to discover more of the lovely county. My wife really enjoyed it too so kudos to the Radisson for the brownie points it got me!!

Room Tip: IF family you automatically get on the top floor - so is very quite. Can't speak for the rest.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Hi Captain_hooha,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am delighted to hear you and your family had an enjoyable stay with us. I am delighted to hear that our staff could assist you in discovering Athlone, our hidden gem in the midlands. There are many great family attractions here in Athlone such as Glendeer Pet Farm, Viking Ship Cruises, Bay Sports and also many indoor family fun activities, and our hotel are delighted to offer discounted admission to many of them.
With regards to your meal in our Element’s Bistro our head chef will be delighted to hear you enjoyed your meal. All of your feedback is greatly appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future

Reviewed 8 July 2014

I stayed here recently while on a 3 day business trip. The hotel is a good functional and typical of the brand and its major competitors, the hotel is right on the river shannon and a lovely view over the river, buy not all rooms have a good view. There was a large bar supported by a terrace area overlooking the river, although strangely there were not very many tables out there. On three occasions I popped out but could not find a table so went somewhere else. (lost my evening meal and beer revenue). locally there are a few interesting eating or drinking venues and all told this is an interesting place. Parking was always a bit of an adventure (issues getting in through the barrier, I seemed to get in ok but others seemed to have issues, (one night it took 12 minutes to get three cars in!!!. check out in the morning was not a good experience, there was very little staff available and each time I arrived to get my car pass stamped (to get out) the reception staff were on the phone (looked like they were handling reservation requests) maybe I was just unlucky, but one member of staff on reception at 08:00 in the morning!! seems off to me. Staff in the bar were friendly enough but the quickest to serve even though the place was not that busy. The room was functional and specious enough but damn it was hot!, The three days I was there it was very warm weather, but there was no air conditioning in the room, although there was a dial on the wall which I could not make work. The the air flow from the window (smallish with restricted opening) was poor which added to the discomfort. This made for three very sticky evenings. The bathroom was fully functional but a little tired. all told the Hotel for me under performed in line with other Raddisson experiences I have had.

Room Tip: check air conditioning and good air flow (ask when booking)
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank tonesontheroad
Sinead_Marron, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Hi tonesontheroad,

Thank you for your recent feedback on your stay in our hotel. I am disappointed to hear you were unhappy with some aspects your stay. Thank you for bringing to our attention the issue with the car-park barrier. The issue has now been rectified.
With regards to the feedback on our reception staff the Revenue manager and Front Office manager have been informed and additional training will be provided to eliminate this issue going forward. We will also ensure there is a sufficient amount of staff working at pressure points throughout the day.
It was unfortunate to hear that the weather had an uncomfortable effect on your stay and your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed in this hotel before and came back for more. Met up with friends from a course and the stay was amazing , even though we only stayed one night and it rained. As usual it was 'service with a smile' and of course the ladies at reception were so helpful - even though they were standing at all times! The hotel should provide suitable chairs for the staff.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view - water and boats are definitely medicinal!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Hi clare C,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am delighted to hear you had an enjoyable stay and that our staff was friendly and helpful. Maybe on your next visit you could experience some fine dining in our Element’s Bistro which is currently offering its Summer Saver menu at just €20 per person. With regards the chairs for staff at reception there is seating available however the staff themselves find it less restricting without chairs as they are constantly moving from reception to the offices behind. Thank you though for the suggestion.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Stayed in a business class room overlooking the Shannon-worth paying extra for the view.
The room was comfortable and the breakfast was very good. Parking is definitely a problem and parking spaces are hard to find. The staff are helpful and friendly. Parts of the hotel are quite dated . Good value for money though.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Sinead_Marron, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Hi maire_10,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and that you were very happy with our breakfast facilities. Maybe on your next stay with us you could experience our Elements Bistro, which is currently offering 3 course meals for €20 after 6pm.
I am disappointed to hear you had parking trouble during your stay. This unfortunately can happen from time to time as this summer has been a very busy time for us. Street parking is available after 6pm and after a while many spaces do become available.
Regarding the feedback of parts of the hotel which you believed to be dated, we are constantly updating and currently undergoing a refurbishment plan of the whole hotel and this is generally done in the off-peak season as all our facilities are in demand at this moment in time.
We hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Parking definitely seems to be an issue at this hotel. Pot luck really by the looks of it. Cars double parked in disabled bays, seemed very disorganised, therefore we waited sometime for space.
The room was somewhat dated, the television was out of the Ark, picture and sound quality were appalling.
The hotel had the feel of a Premier Inn, I found it hard to believe we were staying at a Radisson hotel.

The swimming pool was very pleasant. The areas were clean. There was nobody in attendance in the pool side area. Numerous of people entered the pool with out showering, in particular, two ladies went into the steam room unshowered, came out 15 minutes later and then entered the pool, unwashed. That was the final straw, I left. I didn't go back for a swim again, during my stay, as I can't stand swimming in other peoples baths. I did speak to the girl behind the desk near the gym, she raised her eyes from glaring at her smart phone, and shrug to shoulders. She didn't care.
That night a car alarm went off on the hour every hour for four hours. As the hotel do not take registration numbers, the guy on reception was an able to contact the owner. I don't know what the answer is?! But we had a terrible nights sleep.
The location is quite good as it is very central to Athlone.

Stayed: July 2014

Hi DubArk,

Thank you for taking the time to post up your review of your stay at our hotel. I am disappointed to hear you had trouble finding parking during your stay. This unfortunately can happen from time to time as the summer period is a very busy time for us. Street parking is available after 6pm and after a while many spaces do become available.
Regarding the feedback you provided on your room we are currently in the middle of our ongoing refurbishment plan which is constantly updating our rooms in series of different blocks at a time. However this is mainly done in our off-peak season as all our rooms are needed during our busy summer period.
I am sorry to hear that you had a bad experience in our leisure club and this will be investigated into and action will be taken as we strive to keep to the highest levels of hygiene all around our hotel.
It is also disappointing to hear that you had the misfortune of losing sleep over a car alarm situation and have looked into possible actions that may prevent this happening in the future.