“Good location, car park a bit of a laugh.”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Our party of four, which included my wife and I, arrived Friday 11th for a weekend stay. On producing our booking reference, we were asked 'Will you pay now?'. This we found strange but complied with the request.

We had trouble with the key card but, after several attempts, were successful in gaining access to our room. The room itself was clean and the bed (Queen size) was comfortable. We were unable to control the room temperature and could only open the window a small bit. The television was a dated one with very bad reception on some channels.The bathroom was big and well stocked (towels, facecloths and shampoo etc.) The bath/shower combo was not great, I would prefer a walk in shower (but that would be my personal choice).

On returning from a night out, we found that the key card failed to open the room door again. We went to reception, where the night porter reprogrammed it. On returning to the room, the card failed again. On my second visit to reception, the night porter issued me a new card and warned of the dangers of carrying my key card next to my mobile, to which I replied that I hadn't my phone with me all evening. The room door opened on first try with the new key card!

We found the breakfast very good on both mornings. Varied and plenty of choice, although we had to ask for tea for the table on the second morning after 10 minutes of being passed by. There was music in the bar on both nights and the seating was comfortable, but very limited in the bar.

The car park was a bit of a joke. You got a ticket on entering which would be validated at reception on leaving. But as both exit barriers were raised, parking became a free for all and space was at a premium (cars double parked etc.) The Hotel itself was very well located, although some of the staff could be unwelcoming.

Our party enjoyed the Viking ship up the river Shannon. Captain Mike was very informative and for €10, the round trip to Hudson Bay Hotel was well worth it. I would be staying elsewhere if I were to return.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank willowsdad2014
Sinead_Marron, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Hi WillowsDad2014,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback of your stay. I am disappointed to hear that your experience here was not of a more positive nature.
With regards to the feedback you provided on your room we are currently in the middle of our ongoing refurbishment plan which is constantly updating our rooms in series of different blocks at a time. However this is mainly done in our off-peak season as all our rooms are needed during our busy summer period. I am disappointed to hear about your issue with the room keys and I will have maintenance investigate.
It is regrettable to hear you had parking trouble during your stay. This unfortunately can happen from time to time as this Summer has been a very busy time for us. Street parking is available after 6pm and after a while many spaces do become available.
All members of staff in our hotel strive to be welcoming and courteous at all times and I sincerely apologise if this was not the case during your stay.

Best Regards,
Sinead Marron

Write a ReviewReviews (1,753)

Reviewed 15 July 2014

I stayed here in 2013 for a Wedding and we liked it so much we returned for my Birthday this year. The room was comfortable however I was disappointed as my partner had paid for business class for my Birthday treat but the room and service we availed of were no different to the regular room I paid for last year and it was not business class. We did not get a newspaper etc. as promised. The pool facilities were a little disappointing. The website spoke of a hot tub etc. and I observed the gym attendant smile when we mentioned the hot tub-it would have suited him better to simply politely clarify that there is no hot tub? The website needs to be updated.

There were roadworks at the hotel at the time we stayed and we drove around in circles trying to access the hotel-it would have been more customer focused to reference access to the hotel on the website to forewarn guests and facilitate arrival.

Breakfast was excellent and we a joyed sitting out on the decking, beautiful views from the hotel. Overall we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi MissSunshine902,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback of your stay. Our business class rooms are larger rooms with views of the river, include extra amenities (including robes & slippers) and these rooms are provided with a complimentary newspaper. I am disappointed to hear that you never received your newspaper and will investigate to why this was not delivered.
With regards to our Synergy Health & Leisure Club I am disappointed to hear that your visit was not up to our high standards. We do not actually have a hot-tub in the hotel and after double checking the website I could not find where you got this information?
I am delighted to hear you enjoyed our Super Buffet Breakfast and will pass on your compliments to our Head Chef. Maybe upon your return in the future you could experience our Element’s Bistro, which is currently offering its ‘Summer Saver’ 3 course meal for €20.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here twice once In 2011 and again in 2014. The hotel is in a great location, within walking distance to pubs and restaurants. The rooms are nice, nothing special. The staff are very friendly and pleasant.

The leisure centre is horrible. The dressing rooms are dirty and old fashioned. The pool is freezing cold and also dirty. There is no steam in the steam room. It is not worth going down to.

Do not get breakfast in this hotel. We ordered to the room on our first morning. The sausages and rashers have a really bad taste off them. The were not edible. After chatting to another couple later that day they said the same about their breakfast. I mentioned to the receptionist on checkout about the breakfast and she said nobody else had complained about the breakfast. Surprisingly.

If you're just looking for a place to sleep, close to good nightlife it's fine but it's not a relaxing, good quality hotel.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Sarah R
Sinead_Marron, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Hi Sarah R,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback of our stay.

I am disappointed to hear that you were unhappy with the cleanliness and standards of Synergy Health & Leisure Club - I will pass on your feedback to our Leisure Club Manager. With regards to the steam room in Synergy Leisure Club, unfortunately at this time it was under maintenance so I do apologise that it was not working properly during your visit.
It is also very disappointing that you did not enjoy breakfast. We receive regular compliments about our Super Buffet Breakfast so this I will investigate your feedback with our Head Chef and Restaurant Manager to ensure our breakfast standards are maintained at a high level at all times.

We hope that you consider returning to our hotel in the future for a more enjoyable stay.

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Myself and my girlfriend stayed here this weekend for our second time ( the first been 3 yrs ago). The breakfast was disgusting and uneatable as it was 3 years ago. There was a lot of noise form the room above us this morning, despite complaining there was still noise at 12 when we were leaving ( about 2 hours after we complained). The hotel is in a great location and all the pubs and restaurants are within walking distances. If we return we will book room only accommodation as there is a lot nicer places to eat within a 5 minute walk.

Stayed: July 2014

Hi Matthew W,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback of your stay. I am disappointed to hear that you were unhappy with our breakfast facilities. I will pass on your feedback to our Head Chef and Restaurant Manager.
With regards to your noise complaint it was unfortunate there was disruption that morning, I will investigate this with the duty manager who was working on the morning of your departure.

We hope that you consider returning to us in the near future for a more enjoyable experience.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

I have stayed here twice with my girlfriend, once in December 2013 and again in July 2014 and I can say this hotel was lovely both times

The Room:
The room was very well maintained and clean. The bed was very big and comfortable and the bathroom was perfect with a great shower. The only fault we really had with the room was that the temperature control both times we stayed was completely useless, the most recent time we stayed it was very warm out and the heat in the room was almost unbearable. We even had to go as far as to buy a small fan from a nearby Euro Giant.

Location:
The location is perfect, it is right in the center of Athlone town about 3 minutes from the pubs and restaurants and 5 minutes from the main shopping area. It is also 2 minutes from the Bus/Train Station so if you don't have a car you are in luck.

The Facilitates:
The restaurant and bar are both lovely, the breakfast is great and the food in the bar was pretty good too. I didn't use the gym but the pool was nice, it is only 1.2m deep and is unattended so you will find children diving into the pool but if it is quiet it will be perfect for a swim, there are also Steam and Sauna rooms.

Overall the Radisson Blu, Athlone was a great place to stay and I will defiantly be staying here again when I am in Athllone.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi BrendanOBrienIRL,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and that you were very happy with our breakfast and our bar food menu. Maybe on your next stay with us you could experience our restaurant, Element’s Bistro, which is currently offering a ‘Summer Saver’ 3 course menu for €20 per person.

I am disappointed to hear you had trouble with the temperature of your room and I will see that this is investigated into.

We pride ourselves on our location and are happy to hear you were able to take advantage of it.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

I booked this last minute for a family break as we all needed it and went hoping that it would be alright. Athlone isn't always the kind of place you would go to but it was a good deal and I often stay in Radisson's so I knew it would be to a certain standard.
IT turned out great, we had a family suite which was one of the nest we've stayed in.
Big double bed with seating area and tv for the parents with the bathroom off of it and a separate area (partitioned off by a wall to the kids beds with 2 single beds and TVfor them also had a large desk and storage/wardrobe area.
All very good, clean and contemporary.
The stay was great, the staff so helpful and Athlone itself was undiscovered and new to us. Its an ok place with a nice bay area with walks and some not bad shopping but a good location to go and discover Westmeath.
The hotel is so central its a 2 minute walk into the centre of town where there is the shopping centre, other local shops, bars and restaurants. a 4 minute walk to the river and walks or the old castle and other tourist things.
It was pretty busy as the hotel goes so is obviously popular for its facilities and location.
we ate in the restaurant the first night and it was very good with great selection and good quality/portions with super option for kids. All in all a very family friendly hotel with everything you need for a good family trip. I will be back to discover more of the lovely county. My wife really enjoyed it too so kudos to the Radisson for the brownie points it got me!!

Room Tip: IF family you automatically get on the top floor - so is very quite. Can't speak for the rest.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Hi Captain_hooha,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am delighted to hear you and your family had an enjoyable stay with us. I am delighted to hear that our staff could assist you in discovering Athlone, our hidden gem in the midlands. There are many great family attractions here in Athlone such as Glendeer Pet Farm, Viking Ship Cruises, Bay Sports and also many indoor family fun activities, and our hotel are delighted to offer discounted admission to many of them.
With regards to your meal in our Element’s Bistro our head chef will be delighted to hear you enjoyed your meal. All of your feedback is greatly appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future

Reviewed 8 July 2014

I stayed here recently while on a 3 day business trip. The hotel is a good functional and typical of the brand and its major competitors, the hotel is right on the river shannon and a lovely view over the river, buy not all rooms have a good view. There was a large bar supported by a terrace area overlooking the river, although strangely there were not very many tables out there. On three occasions I popped out but could not find a table so went somewhere else. (lost my evening meal and beer revenue). locally there are a few interesting eating or drinking venues and all told this is an interesting place. Parking was always a bit of an adventure (issues getting in through the barrier, I seemed to get in ok but others seemed to have issues, (one night it took 12 minutes to get three cars in!!!. check out in the morning was not a good experience, there was very little staff available and each time I arrived to get my car pass stamped (to get out) the reception staff were on the phone (looked like they were handling reservation requests) maybe I was just unlucky, but one member of staff on reception at 08:00 in the morning!! seems off to me. Staff in the bar were friendly enough but the quickest to serve even though the place was not that busy. The room was functional and specious enough but damn it was hot!, The three days I was there it was very warm weather, but there was no air conditioning in the room, although there was a dial on the wall which I could not make work. The the air flow from the window (smallish with restricted opening) was poor which added to the discomfort. This made for three very sticky evenings. The bathroom was fully functional but a little tired. all told the Hotel for me under performed in line with other Raddisson experiences I have had.

Room Tip: check air conditioning and good air flow (ask when booking)
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank tonesontheroad
Sinead_Marron, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Hi tonesontheroad,

Thank you for your recent feedback on your stay in our hotel. I am disappointed to hear you were unhappy with some aspects your stay. Thank you for bringing to our attention the issue with the car-park barrier. The issue has now been rectified.
With regards to the feedback on our reception staff the Revenue manager and Front Office manager have been informed and additional training will be provided to eliminate this issue going forward. We will also ensure there is a sufficient amount of staff working at pressure points throughout the day.
It was unfortunate to hear that the weather had an uncomfortable effect on your stay and your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,