“I will definitely be going back to stay again..Friendly, helpful staff”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Clare
“I will definitely be going back to stay again..Friendly, helpful staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2010

I recently stayed at the Radisson for my sister's hen night. We stayed here on Saturday 9th Jan and can't rate it high enough. Firstly I contacted them by email to get a quote and got an excellent quote which I couldn't beat. The lady I was in contact with was so friendly and helpful and she was absolutely fine with having a hen party staying. There was 16 of us altogether and had a beautiful and comfortable room with great views. All the girls we're amazed with the excellent value and reasonable rate that we got these fabulous rooms for. The lady I was dealing with, Sarah, even contacted me after our stay to see if what we thought of our stay with them. Definitely going back here.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
HotelManagement33, Online Guests Services Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone, responded to this review, 24 January 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. It is great to see that you enjoyed your entire stay.

At the hotel here, we are always ready and willing to help you plan any event or celebration, whether it be a Birthday, Anniversary, or as in your case a Hen Party.

I will pass on your kind comments to Sarah in Reservations.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you and your friends back to the Athlone Radisson BLU Hotel, in the not so distant future.

Best wishes from all the staff here, for your sister in her life with her new husband.

Online Guests Services Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Dublin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2010

My family and I booked a New years break away in the Radisson Blu, Athlone. After looking at various hotels around Ireland we decided on the Radisson Athlone for the great deal it was offering as well as the fact we presumed it would be a great experience being such a well recognised chain. Being a Goldpoints plus member I am very familiar with Radison Hotels both in Ireland and abroad so I had no doubt we were going to enjoy a wonderful four day break. Unfortunetly this was not to be!!!!

Day 1: Arriving at the hotel, our check in was quite smooth, although I did have to remind the receptionist numerous times to include our rooms on my GoldPoints account (which has, of yet, not come through) Before going to our room my husband and I ordered food from the bar menu. I ordered a chicken sandwich and my husband ordered a steak sandwich. When the latter arrived it was like rubber. The steak was dry and disgusting. It was priced at €14 which was a disgrace. The bar food menu seemed to be completely overpriced especially for food that was no way up to scratch.
When we went up to our room I was shocked at the standard of decor. THe ironing board/presser and iron had been removed from the wall and no replacement left. The curtains were quite shabby and the bathroom was no way up to the radisson standard I had been use to. Our double room consisted of two single beds pushed together and fitted with a duvet that was too small. I was not impressed. That night well into the morning, 2am, people were smoking outside the main entrance. AT 3am the fire alarm went off in the hotel. I immediatley rang down to the reception to see what was going on. The person that answered more or less laughed down the line at me and said it was a false alarm. No apology was made for this.
Day 2: We decided to have a family meal in the restraunt. We were left waiting for two hours for our main course, even though it was in no way busy. When my meal arrived, a grilled chicken dish, I could not even slice into it with my knife. It seemed to have been reheated numerous times. We complained many times to the staff in the resteraunt as well as my husband and cousin leaving during courses to complain at reception and were told they were very busy due to a wedding. At the end of our meal the waiter gave us a wine bill for one bottle of wine, which i would have thought would have been waiver but then again every single table had complained at some stage from what we had seen!!!!!! Again we were kept awake by smokers at the main entrance.
Day 3 New yrs eve from the previous evenings experience we decided to book an early meal 6.30. It was quite a nice buffet but unfortunetly my husband could not enjoy it because he got a tummy bug !!!! and had to retire to our room. We were told there was going to be entertainment for nye but in my opinion there was no atmosphere at all in the hotel. The service at the bar was extremely slow but then agin the good aul excuse of "there is a wedding on " was used! During the eve I brought my neice up to our room to check on my husband, but on the way up she too got sick, another "tummy bug"! I myself also got the "tummy Bug" when I went to bed that night.
Day 4 I had to spend the day in my room as I was quite ill. I decided to put up the 'Do Not Disturb' sign on the door. During the day I decided to go and see how my neice was (she was staying in the room opposite), and spent maybe half an hour there. When I arrived back to my room I found that housekeeping had actually ignored the sign on the door and came into my room. I found this quite rude indeed.
Day 5: I couldn't get out of the hotel quick enough!!!!

On leaving, my husband and cousin, complained again at the reception again. They initially asked for the manager on duty. They were told there was no one on duty. I am sorry but I have never ever heard of a hotel without a manger on duty!!!! They mentioned about the service, quality of food and hotel room and in response they were given the age old excuse, "there were three weddings on and we have told management that more staff are needed but they are not listening to us" Now dont get me wrong the receptionist was very apologetic but in the next breadth asked for our full balance of €474 to be paid. No compensation was offered although everything was apparently written down for a managers perusal!

This hotel is a disgrace to the Radisson name and I wil never ever recommend it to anyone. I am forwarding a letter to the managent of the hotel as well as to the radissons head office because I think that this should be highlighted in order to try and improve the standard of this hotel.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank bazilo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking for the time to provide your feedback. As you’ve stated in your review, we have also received your letter here in the hotel, and I believe, we have at this stage spoken over the phone.

As I said over the telephone, since your stay we have conducted a full investigation into all the matters that have been raised in your review, we have now made some necessary changes, to ensure that no guest has an experience similar to yours again.

We would love if you took the opportunity to come back and to see for yourself that what you experienced on your New Years break wasn’t indeed the normal experience for guests here in the hotel.

Please feel free to contact me if I can be off any further assistance.

Front Office Manager
angelazul79
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights and loved every minute. The bedroom was very comfortable and with a very stylish bathroom. The view from the room was amazing, overlooking the river Shannon and the old castle, it was a perfect setting for Christmas!
I was quite disappointed to read the pervious comments from another guest as we had stayed here around the same time, and have nothing but praise for the hotel.
Service throughout the hotel was top class and enquiries were dealt with very efficiently. Front desk staff were very helpful in recommending things to do.
In general, all the staff we encountered were brilliant and friendly. Nothing seemed to be a problem for them.
We don't usually have dinner in hotels but decided to try the Elements restaurant on our last night and was not disappointed. We had the table d'hote menu which was excellent with the waiter explaining everything we were trying but not being intrusive or condescending.
The pool, gym and steam rooms were great. We went on Sunday afternoon and had the place to ourselves.
The location is convenient and everything is within easy walking distance.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on Tripadvisor. It is great to see that you enjoyed your stay.

In particular it is nice to see such positive comments about your interactions with our staff, I will be sure to bring these comments to their attention.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Radisson BLU Hotel in Athlone, in the near future.

Online Guests Services Manager
Dublin Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2010

We arrived at this hotel on New Years Eve and having stayed at other Raddison hotels we were really excited. Upon arrival we were told that our room was not ready which was fine so we headed to the bar to get some food/drink. It took about 15 mins to get a drink even though we were the only people at the bar. The bar had forgotten about our drinks & after reminding her & asking for a menu, we were left waiting again for the menu. Eventually we ordered and were left waiting yet again for our food. I then went out to check in at reception when the reception phone rang halfway through my check in. The lady checking me in then proceeded to talk in detail with the caller about rates completely ignoring me.
Our room wasnt clean at all and was very dissappointing! There was stains in the carpet and rips in the curtains. It was always cold even with the heating up as high as it could go! We then ordered breafast in bed the following day for 10.30am - 11.00am. By 11.15am there was no sign off breakfast so we rang the 'One Touch Service'. It took them ages to answer and when they did I was told that with the morning thats in it, chef was very busy & behind! Breakfast eventually arrived after 12pm and we were told that there was over 20 people who had ordered breakfast in be hence the delay! Breakfast was awful!!
The day we were leaving my partner was very ill so I asked for a late check out & was told that 2pm was the latest we could possibly check out. Unsure if we would be able to go home I went to reception to ask about the availability for the night ( really didnt want to stay another night but we werent sure we had any choice) I asked for the best available rate but was told that we would have to let them know by 2pm at the very latest and by this stage it was 1.45pm. They never asked if we needed a doctor or was he ok!! In the end we decided we couldnt face another night & upon checking out we were told they could give us a better rate if we had a problem with the rate but by that stage we had left the room.
There was a wedding there New Years Eve and it did seem that all the staff were tied up with that & there was very few staff around for the size of the hotel for our entire stay. The food was terrible too & this hotel should not be given the Raddison name or be a 4 star as I would not rate it at all. I would NEVER stay here again.

1 Thank DublinIreland2010
HotelManagement33, Online Guest Services Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone, responded to this review, 7 January 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback, as with every business it is vital to receive guest feedback, unfortunately as it may be, it is when we receive negative feedback that we have the greatest opportunity to learn.

As you will be able to see from other guest reviews posted here, you have not received a typical stay in our hotel.

We are currently investigating the issues that have been raised as we believe one guest complaint is one too many, and we strive to meet and exceed all guests expectations.

Please feel free to contact me at the hotel, should you wish to discuss this further.

Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2010

I have just come back from the Radisson Athlone and have to say it really lets the Radisson name down. We arrived (7 of us) on 29th December for a 4 night stay (we booked 3 nights & got one free).

Our check in was fine, the girl at reception was quite friendly and when we asked for a camp bed for our 3 and half year old, she tried to persuade us to take a travelcot, but we insisted and after 5 hours and 2 calls to reception we eventually got a campbed. This was only the start of events at the hotel.

During the first nite the fire alarm was set off at 3am, WE had to ring down to reception because we didn't want to wake our child and were told it had been set off by a wedding guest. This has happened before in hotels I have stayed in & the management always sent around an apology but not this time. The next morning we realised one of the front doors had been smashed in and it was not repaired by the time we had left (4 days later) and there were a number of young children running around who could have ran into it.

On our second nite we decided to have dinner in the restaurant, which was a disaster. We arrived at 7pm and only 2 tables were occupied, we were served our starter almost straight away but waited almost TWO hours for our main course. We repeatedly asked where our food was and were told it was on the way. We eventually asked for the child's meal on it's own and our own main courses came half hour later. The restaurant manager & supervisor steered clear of our table. The delay was blamed on the large wedding in the function room (this seemed to be their excuse for everything). 2 members of staff which are a credit to the hotel are Inken & Ellen, the 2 German girls in the restaurant who were very apologetic and took the spotlight off the Management. When we eventually made our way out to the bar area, the bar service was extremely poor and staff more interested in counting glasses than serving customers. Again the wedding was taking precedent.

The pool in the hotel was freezing and our little girl's arms actually turned blue in there.

The Accommodation staff were extremely rude and when I asked her to give me 5 mins when she came to clean the room, she 'tutted' loudy and knocked on the door 2 mins later. She was also very ignorant when I asked her for spare towels because my daughter had been ill.

One afternoon I ordered some bar food, when the food didn't arrive 3/4 of an hour later, I asked where it was and I was told it hadn't been ordered, when I explained I'd paid for it, it arrived another 30 mins later.

The room was standard Travellodge / Holiday Inn style with worn decór, The television became distorted when the volume was highered, the tiles in the bathroom an cracked and discoloured. The curtains were torn and there was dust everywhere.

I am by no means picky about hotels but when I pay for 4 star accomodation, I expect 4 star not an establishment where staff place all the emphasis on their weddings and don't care about the normal paying guests. I was considering this hotel for a birthday celebration later in the year but after this stay I would NEVER EVER stay there again.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family

Dublin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2009

I spent 2 extremely disappointing nights with my partner in room #211. Having spent €219 per night I was absolutely appalled by the dirty room, the complete lack of adequate sound-proofing, and especially the rude and obnoxious attitude of Management.

There are clearly no standards of cleanliness adhered to, and our room looked shabby and run down. The curtains and the valance sheet were ripped and there was a large stain on the valance also. There were marks on the walls and there was a hair in the shower and stains on the bathroom floor. The wireless internet did not work at all either. I cannot understand how this hotel is rated 4 star, based on my experience.

If that was not bad enough, we were kept awake n the 1st night until after 2am by a wedding downstairs. Despite numerous calls to reception between 1:30am and 2am, there was no response – so much for the one touch service they promise. Laughable. When I went to complain in person the next morning my encounter with their General Manager was the worse customer service experience I have had in my life. I was treated badly by him with his dismissive and completely unapologetic attitude. I will not go into the detail but his attitude was essentially asking “what did I expect” when there was a wedding there and I couldn't expect there to be someone at the desk at that time of night!

Many of the other staff I encountered there were pleasant and efficient but this was not sufficient to make up for an otherwise extremely bad experience.

I would NEVER stay there again. 100% DISsatisfaction guaranteed, if you have any issue that needs to be raised to management.

2 Thank DublinKiKi79

Donegal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2009

We just spent 2 nights here and couldn't have been more pleased. Have stayed in every kind of hotel from 5 star down in many different countries and found this experience to be the top of the 5 stars. Staff were attentive and conscientious. The food was excellent. We found the mattress to be a bit on the hard side, but that was very minor.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
HotelManagement33, Online Guest Services Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone, responded to this review, 28 November 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent kind comments regarding your stay in the Radisson Blu Hotel Athlone. It is brilliant for the staff, to see guests compare us to 5 star properties.

In regards to your comment about the mattress, while you do say it was only minor, we do endeavour to solve all guest issues. In this case all of our mattresses are new, and would feel the same, but in a case where a guest found it to be too hard, we could make up the bed with a duvet between the mattress and the sheet, and this usually softens out the mattress.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Athlone area again in the near future, and please do not hesitate to let us know about any issue however minor or major and we will always be more than happy to help.

Online Guest Services Manager