Shamrock Lodge Hotel Athlone
US$221
US$130
US$91
Sheraton.com
Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone(Athlone)(Great Value!)
US$115
US$110
US$157
US$105
The Prince of Wales Hotel(Athlone)(Great Value!)
US$84
US$65
Athlone Springs Hotel(Athlone)(Great Value!)
US$104
US$92
US$152
Creggan Court(Athlone)(Great Value!)
US$72
US$70
  • Restaurant
The Grand Hotel(Moate)(Great Value!)
US$91
Cooneys Hotel(Ballymahon)
US$163
All reviewsclose to townlovely hotela family run hotelfamily reuniontea and coffeebreakfast roomfunction roombuffet stylewould stay againcouldn't faultwould highly recommend this hotelsaturday nightbar foodtop classnext morninghotel is situatedgreat weekend
Reviewed 14 October 2007

The lodge is now basically two hotels in one. There is a very inexpesnive but very rundown section which is where you get the bad reviews and a modern, just recently built section thats as expensive as the other new hotels in town. For the money the new side of the hotel is just alright, although it is new and nice. Just stayed there
a few weeks ago and its nice enough. The pub downstairs is a wonderful place to sit back and absorb the locals chatting away in the corners. As for the old rooms, well the are old and cheap. Not much more to say there. Avoid the food if you can help it as its all made by untrained eastern Europeans and isn't very good as a result.
I would also suggest no matter what room you get in this establishment that you avoid the king sized beds. They are really just two standard beds pushed together and you will roll right into the seam and be uncomfortable. If your gonna spend the money for the king sized room I would be more inclined ot suggest the Raddison downtown.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank Ballinasloe
Reviewed 17 May 2007

The has to be the worst hotel in the country. The food was terrible and the rooms dirty. The water was not warm and the service reminded us all of Fawlty Towers. I couldn't recommend this hotel to anybody

Stayed: May 2007
4  Thank PBMLouth
Reviewed 14 May 2007

Having previously posted an excellent review for this hotel, I am now in the unfortunate position of having to contradict myself.

During a recent visit to my hometown I thought - where better to stay with my SO than the Lodge?? Being a bank holiday weekend we had to pay well over the odds, but again, due to past experiences I had no problem with this.

I do have a problem with the fact that there was no hot water available in our apartment, and I do have a problem with the fact that after I notified reception of this problem is was NOT corrected, and I do have a problem with the fact that when I complained at check-out the Manager said "Oh, I didn't know..." and I left without any sort of apology or even being offered a discount against my next stay.

So the next stay will be in another hotel. I firmly believe that true quality is what happens when things go wrong.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank sean.casaidhe
Reviewed 9 April 2007

I'd recommend this hotel to anyone going to Athlone. Excellent staff always willing to help. The rooms are decorated very modern and stylish. The beds are so comfy its a challenge to get out! Its only about a 10 minute walk from the centre of town, so you're never far from the pubs! And the food is great. The bar meals are great value and the breakfast is very well done.

Stayed: April 2007
1  Thank Bose82
Reviewed 25 March 2007

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights recently, while in Athlone on business. To say I was unimpressed is putting it very politely. The bedroom was lovely but everything else was incredibly inefficient and the food left a lot to be desired. If I were to describe everything that was wrong I'd be writing an essay.

Stayed: March 2007
ShamrockLodge, Marketing at Shamrock Lodge Hotel Athlone, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2009

Clare 41:
Thank you for your review .
Your comments will be passed on to the management. I'm sorry that you feel there was a problem with your stay at the Shamrock Lodge Hotel.
We take all of our complaints seriously and deal with each one directly and individually.

Since your stay we have replaced our che f and the standard of food is upgraded, much to our satisfaction.

Deirdre Keegan