“Loved the Staff and the hotel!!!”

Shamrock Lodge Hotel Athlone
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
ireland
“Loved the Staff and the hotel!!!”
Reviewed 12 May 2008

Well I booked the Shamrock Lodge Hotel because every other Hotel in Athlone was booked out, It was my sisters Hen Party and there were 30 of us booked into the Shamrock Lodge, All i can say is the Hotel is brilliant, the Staff amazing, we had the best night ever here we went into town for a meal and drinks and when we arrived back at 3 in the morning we all headed for the residents bar were we stayed till the very early hours of the morning, the bedrooms were spotless and Comfortable and we didnt have one problem, the breakfast was included in the price and it was gorgeous great for my hangover!!! All in All this hotel May not be a amazingly Beautifull , But we all loved it the Staff were Brilliant and we had so much fun if im ever in Athlone again there is only one hotel i will be staying in and if you havent Guessed it Its the Shamrock Lodge.

• Liked — The Staff
  • Disliked — Not a Thing
  • Stayed March 2008
1 Thank Galway_Eyes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
West Calder, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2007

Even although this hotel took a deposit from us, they overbooked our room. They telephone around the town for another hotel, and put us in a B&B, who told us that this happens regularly from this hotel. During the 20 minutes it took this hotel to find us another hotel, another two guests arrived to check-in to find out that their rooms has also been overbooked.

Although this hotel looks nice from the outside, I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
ShamrockLodge, Marketing at Shamrock Lodge Hotel Athlone, responded to this review, 17 November 2009
D Fitzc5848:
We now have a booking agent along with our reservations here at the hotel, so this is no longer a problem

We hope to see you at the Shamrock Lodge Hotel again soon

Deirdre Keegan
Shamrock Lodge Hotel
Ballinasloe, Ireland
Reviewed 14 October 2007

The lodge is now basically two hotels in one. There is a very inexpesnive but very rundown section which is where you get the bad reviews and a modern, just recently built section thats as expensive as the other new hotels in town. For the money the new side of the hotel is just alright, although it is new and nice. Just stayed there
a few weeks ago and its nice enough. The pub downstairs is a wonderful place to sit back and absorb the locals chatting away in the corners. As for the old rooms, well the are old and cheap. Not much more to say there. Avoid the food if you can help it as its all made by untrained eastern Europeans and isn't very good as a result.
I would also suggest no matter what room you get in this establishment that you avoid the king sized beds. They are really just two standard beds pushed together and you will roll right into the seam and be uncomfortable. If your gonna spend the money for the king sized room I would be more inclined ot suggest the Raddison downtown.

• Liked — The pub downstais
  • Disliked — The king size beds made out of two singles pushed together.
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ballinasloe
Louth
Reviewed 17 May 2007

The has to be the worst hotel in the country. The food was terrible and the rooms dirty. The water was not warm and the service reminded us all of Fawlty Towers. I couldn't recommend this hotel to anybody

Stayed May 2007
4 Thank PBMLouth
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 14 May 2007

Having previously posted an excellent review for this hotel, I am now in the unfortunate position of having to contradict myself.

During a recent visit to my hometown I thought - where better to stay with my SO than the Lodge?? Being a bank holiday weekend we had to pay well over the odds, but again, due to past experiences I had no problem with this.

I do have a problem with the fact that there was no hot water available in our apartment, and I do have a problem with the fact that after I notified reception of this problem is was NOT corrected, and I do have a problem with the fact that when I complained at check-out the Manager said "Oh, I didn't know..." and I left without any sort of apology or even being offered a discount against my next stay.

So the next stay will be in another hotel. I firmly believe that true quality is what happens when things go wrong.

• Liked — Location, previous experience
  • Disliked — no running hot water
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sean.casaidhe
Surrey
Reviewed 9 April 2007

I'd recommend this hotel to anyone going to Athlone. Excellent staff always willing to help. The rooms are decorated very modern and stylish. The beds are so comfy its a challenge to get out! Its only about a 10 minute walk from the centre of town, so you're never far from the pubs! And the food is great. The bar meals are great value and the breakfast is very well done.

Stayed April 2007
1 Thank Bose82
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 25 March 2007

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights recently, while in Athlone on business. To say I was unimpressed is putting it very politely. The bedroom was lovely but everything else was incredibly inefficient and the food left a lot to be desired. If I were to describe everything that was wrong I'd be writing an essay.

Stayed March 2007
Clare 41:
Thank you for your review .
Your comments will be passed on to the management. I'm sorry that you feel there was a problem with your stay at the Shamrock Lodge Hotel.
We take all of our complaints seriously and deal with each one directly and individually.

Since your stay we have replaced our che f and the standard of food is upgraded, much to our satisfaction.

Deirdre Keegan