“Faultless”

Shamrock Lodge Hotel Athlone
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

I recently attended a wedding in this hotel and one word to describe my experience was amazing. From the decor of the hotel, rooms, food and most importantly the staff. I have never experienced the service and genuine politeness of staff in any other hotel. I will most definitely go to this hotel again and would highly recommend. Can't wait for my next trip!!

1  Thank LeeFDublin
There are newer reviews for Shamrock Lodge Hotel Athlone

Reviewed 5 September 2013 via mobile

I won this break on on my local radio station, south east radio, it was for 2adults for 2 nights b&b and evening meals on both evenings. This is a beautiful hotel, which I couldn't fault anything. The staff were by far the friendliest I have ever come across. And were so helpful. One chap in particular helped me search for my phone, when I mislaid it. The bedroom was beautiful, and the food was second to none. Even the manager sitting in the bar looking at the tv, was all smiles. And it makes such a difference. A smile costs nothing, but brightness up everyone's day. Lookin forward to returning with my mother, and this time four friends in November. Hats off to the shamrock lodge hotel. 11 out of 10:-)
'

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Pauline K
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Superb hotel from second we arrived to second we left... absolutely beautiful room lookin out onto the beautiful gardens that surround the hotel.. ideal location 5 mins walk to athlone castle shoppin centre main town.. lady on reception desk was so so nice perfect example of top class staff... only negative wud b d main bar cud do wit a more modern approach but this doesn't affect my overall impression of the hotel.. we'll defo return in the near future thanks to all :-)

Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

We stay here for the weekend just gone , hotel looks ok at check in but heads downhill from there. The room was ok but we had been given a smoking room with a smell of stale smoke throughout, the bed was so small, poor quality bedding & very uncomfortable. Shower was dirty, rusty shower rail, lime built up on shower head & the kind of shower you would feel dirtier leaving than entering. The toilet has a loose toilet seat, the toilet paper was not nice to use, the shower gel is screwed to the wall, the windows didn't open right, only half the lights worked in the room. Then breakfast was very poor, carvey style where you hand in your breakfast card, would not recommend bothering with the breakfast, it really is one of the poorest I have had for some time.
If back in Arhlone I will try another hotel as this really isn't good enough & the staff didn't care that I found the shower dirty or the breakfast in edible .

1  Thank ClareWithTheHairCom
Reviewed 24 August 2013

I had to attend a meeting in Athlone late one evening and instead of travelling further I chose to stay in Athlone. I did a hotel search and this hotel attracted my attention due to the price quoted. The hotel itself is not the easiest to find only but the grounds and car parking are well maintained, The receptionist was superb, friendly, helpful and attentive. The room was comfortable and clean, as I arrived late the lady at reception organised a sandwich for me and this is the point where the hotel becomes average,
The sandwich was adequate but the receptionist was limited by what she could offer as the kitchen didn't operate past 9pm and yet it was only 8.50pm when I asked for the sandwich. The bar was not clean even though the reception and foyer were spotless, the chairs were dirty, the tables were a stranger to a cleaning cloth and floor was sticky.
Security in the rooms is an issue, the windows have broken locks and the fire escapes were always open as was the rear delivery gate thereby giving easy access to nefarious people.
This hotel is one management step away from being a good hotel and a simple attention to detail by the management would bring rewards. I would describe it overall as a good effort but the lack of attention to security in the rooms and grime in the bar reduced it to average.

Room Tip: Go for a room on an upper floor purely for security reasons.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank James D
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Hi, we were due to stay in this hotel early July , when we were outside the hotel getting our bags to check in they rang us to tell us the room was damaged & they had no more rooms available, they had already arranged for us to stay in a hotel in the centre of the town instead....this hotel is very central in the town but due to its location also very noisy as it has a late license and a very late finishing time. My husband who was down competing in Athlone for the weekend obviously was very tired after the race & we were hoping to get an early and peaceful sleep. This was not the case as we were put in a room beside a Hen party and had a very bad sleep. I completely understand this is not the hotels fault as we were lucky to get a room but we specifically choose the Shamrock lodge as it is in a quiet location. When we got back home the day after the hotel emailed us asking how was our stay ! We replied saying the same as above and we have had no reply which I think is bad manners.....I personally think the hotel over booked this weekend as its one of the biggest weekends in Athlone , I am more annoyed now at this stage that they couldn't acknowledge our reply!! I couldn't possibly comment on the hotel as we didn't get through the doors!!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SaGaDonegal
Alan M, General Manager at Shamrock Lodge Hotel Athlone, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2013

Hello SaGa
Fristly i would like to apoligise for the lack of correspondace from us.
We are extremly sorry that we had problems with the room you had booked and we had to book you in elsewhere. I can assure you that this was a genuine situation that we had with our room and booking you out was unavoidable.
We would really like if you would return to stay with us so that we can make amends for the situation you encountered.
If you decide too , you can contact me directly at the Hotel.
looking forward to hearing from you
Alan

Reviewed 15 July 2013

I stayed here with Four others Saturday night in one of the hotel apartments. Very clean and comfortable. Bar food was great too.Even though there was a wedding on and very busy we did not have to wait for anything. Nice breakfast in the morning. Would stay again

Room Tip: Apartments are great
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Hi Rainydaysinireland
Thank you very much for your lovely review.
We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
Kind Regards