“Very dissapointed”

Shamrock Lodge Hotel Athlone
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Reviewed 14 May 2007

Having previously posted an excellent review for this hotel, I am now in the unfortunate position of having to contradict myself.

During a recent visit to my hometown I thought - where better to stay with my SO than the Lodge?? Being a bank holiday weekend we had to pay well over the odds, but again, due to past experiences I had no problem with this.

I do have a problem with the fact that there was no hot water available in our apartment, and I do have a problem with the fact that after I notified reception of this problem is was NOT corrected, and I do have a problem with the fact that when I complained at check-out the Manager said "Oh, I didn't know..." and I left without any sort of apology or even being offered a discount against my next stay.

So the next stay will be in another hotel. I firmly believe that true quality is what happens when things go wrong.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sean.casaidhe
There are newer reviews for Shamrock Lodge Hotel Athlone

Reviewed 9 April 2007

I'd recommend this hotel to anyone going to Athlone. Excellent staff always willing to help. The rooms are decorated very modern and stylish. The beds are so comfy its a challenge to get out! Its only about a 10 minute walk from the centre of town, so you're never far from the pubs! And the food is great. The bar meals are great value and the breakfast is very well done.

Stayed: April 2007
1  Thank Bose82
Reviewed 25 March 2007

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights recently, while in Athlone on business. To say I was unimpressed is putting it very politely. The bedroom was lovely but everything else was incredibly inefficient and the food left a lot to be desired. If I were to describe everything that was wrong I'd be writing an essay.

Stayed: March 2007
ShamrockLodge, Marketing at Shamrock Lodge Hotel Athlone, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2009

Clare 41:
Thank you for your review .
Your comments will be passed on to the management. I'm sorry that you feel there was a problem with your stay at the Shamrock Lodge Hotel.
We take all of our complaints seriously and deal with each one directly and individually.

Since your stay we have replaced our che f and the standard of food is upgraded, much to our satisfaction.

Deirdre Keegan
Shamrock Lodge Hotel

Reviewed 20 February 2007

Stayed a night in this hotel because we couldnt get a nice hotel in mullingar, and we were glad we did because the hotel was lovely. Rooms are modern and spacious with nice touches like flat screen tv, leather sofa and lots of granite in the bathroom!! We had a good breakfast in the bedroom next moring which was and extra £5 or 8 euro.
It also has a nice bar with plenty of people about.

Overall great comfortable stay for a reasonable price.

Ps. Theres a steak house toward the castle called Roff's (i think) it does unbelievable steakes- well worth a visit!!

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 December 2006

I recently stayed at the Shamrock Lodge and I thought it was a great experience!

All the rooms are self contolled heating and really comfortable, the bathroom has under floor heating and the beds are just about 6' wide.

Check in was fast and pleasant, it's Christmas so the lobby was littered with gorgeous smelling yankee candles, so cranberry scents wafted all over the hotel......

my key card was a bit dodgy so it took me a while to get into my room each time but thats nothing really, it cant be perfect.

The Shamrock lodge has been recently redecorated so the carpets were fluffy and the uphostery was rich with crushed velvets and silks in rich colours like chocolate browns and golds, gorgeous, everything I needed was available, even a radio alarm clock and coffee maker.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone seeking relaxation, just dont go at Christmas cause theres a function room below which filters the music up to your room.

The only faults were that its hard to find, theres only 3 tv stations and the noise from the christmas parties....

Athlone isn't the classiest town in ireland, known for being home of the king of gypsies :-/ (violence & crime) theres many of them there but the Shannon is so peaceful it makes up for everything :) you're out of the town so you're not in the middle of everything.

GO ANYWAY!!! IT'S FAB!!!!!! And enjoy it!!!!!

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled on business
2  Thank sarah-shadylady
Reviewed 5 December 2006

I recently stayed in the Shamrock Lodge Hotel in Athlone. The hotel was great, completely renovated, and while I did not see much of it, my bedroom was huge and really nicely decorated. I stayed with friends and we enjoyed joining the staff from a local factory at their Christmas partiy in the function room. The bar was great with locals as well as hotel guests there. It is always a good sign to see the locals drinking in a hotel bar, something you don’t always get with the larger chains. If I had children I would make a point of asking for a quiet bedroom when booking for a weekend stay as they appear to have a lot of functions on. While my room was quiet some of the bedrooms would be over the function room. The hotel is located in a quiet residential area, has lots of parking and is a short walk from the town centre. I would recommend it highly.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled with friends
2  Thank Cultural-Weekenders
Reviewed 22 November 2006

I recently had to stay in athlone for an army physical exam the next day. At the last minute i browsed around the internet and found the shamrock lodge. It seemed nice and reasonably priced. My mother sister and me booked a family suite for e110

On arrival we went through the bar in the older building, it smelt like a hobo died in it :P but i guess a lot of bars do

when we reached the reception it seemed nice, very modern with nice golden chairs lol. But! the man on the desk at the time was the most un-professional hotel worker i have ever met. My mum told him about our booking and he scanned the computer saying 'madam have you specified 3 people' and saying it was much dearer than what we had been told. he came across as really arogant and acted like 3 rats had walked into his fine establishment.. the snob! he was the type of person who just does his job bearly but puts no effort at all into it eg: friendly attitute, helpful, polite none of those basic skills!

well finally a better woman who worked there said oh yes you booked yesterday, and that was fine. :)

The snob man said your room is through bla bla bla well thats practically the way he said it.. we walked dazeed around the looked back and asked where? he pointed stubornly THROUGH THERE! we looked around for a wile, afraid to ask him again or more like afraid of what we would do to him if we had to spend another minute in his company, we came across a cleaner who low and behold spoke no english i dont have anything against her she helped more than the man did. we eventually discovered that thorugh there meant outside through an emergency exit to somewhere that wasnt part of the hotel.

we finally got to our room after a few more 'lost in translation'' experiences. :/ and well i loved the suite! we saw the bedrooms then discovered the sitting room/kitchen it had a microwave and everything! :D and of course tea and coffee which was appreciated after the long journey. the beds were comfortable and there was a tv in each room :D brilliant!

a few more minor complaints, if you want to have a shower it better be quick or you will get an unexpected freeze half way through, the dinning area is ancient with annoying 40's war music playing, and the plates just sit there for ages on all the tables around you waiting to decay i guess

A few more improvements and it would be a great place to stay,

ps:I hate hotels with no pool, sauna etc no difference from a B and B

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled on business