“Not very happy with Arch house at all”

Arch House B&B & Apartments
Ranked #4 of 20 Athlone B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 January 2010

We travelled as a group of 19 the this B&B for a family wedding( and neighbouring appartments) and i have to say i was sourly disappointed with the whole experience. What we saw of the new appartments were lovely!

Yes the rooms are nice and perfectly fine for putting your head down ( a few repairs needed) and the breakfasts are lovely i must point out the points i was let down by
- The car park was not large enough to cater for a full house
- Wifi advertised didnt exsist as staff didnt know code to access network
- we were only given one change of towels in a three night stay
- The heating was almost never on( we stayed over new years very very bad weather hit Ireland)
- There was no water every morning, once i questioned this i was informed that this was the 'councils fault' and that it had been happening a number of days, yet no one gave us a heads up. I had to travel to a family members appartment for a shower on the morning of the wedding (even though we were told the whole areas water was out - this wasnt true) no apology was offered and a member of staff said it MIGHT be back on in the afternoon - no good to us going to a wedding
- On the departure day we went to pay (agreed rate of €70, as published on the website) and were told it was actually €75 per night. when we asked to speak to the owner Maureen was no where to be found.

I must say Mohamed was very apologetic but the whole stay left a bad taste in my mouth. We left Athlone, cold from no heating or water and very let down.

Athlone is a great town!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 5 January 2010

We stayed here over the Chritmas peroid for one night as we were attending a wedding in the area. The B&B seemed fine when we checked in, we just dropped our bags and continued on to the wedding. The next morning when we came to have a shower their was no hot water, there was plenty of cold water though! I decided to go down to breakfast and ask the staff then about the water. When I told the staff member serving us that their was no hot water in our room, she proceeded to tell me that the B&B was having problems with hot water for the last four days!! I was told their would be hot water by 10 am. So we waited,no hot ater arrived. When we checked out, we mentioned our disappointment with not having hot water to the owner, Maureen. She simply said that it was not their fault that they did not have hot water that this problem arrose today. When I informed her that a staff member had told us that the B&B were experiencing difficulty with the hot water for the last four days, she replied that the staff member had not been working their for the last four days. We proceeded to ask for a discount for our stay. As we beieved we were entitled to it, she refused by saying that it was not their fault their was no hot water and offered for us the phone number of the local county council!
The B&B would have been fine if their was hot water, we would have even been happy if they had told us that their was problems with the water when we checked in. It was the attitude of the owners when we had complained- we were basicly told tough [--]. The owner proceeded to tell us that she had worked in hotels before and they would never give a discount for no hot water, we should have been happy that the room was clean and the breakfast hot!!
Dont stay here, the owners attitude was terrible. Their are plenty more decent places to stay in Athlone, if we had recieved a phone call explaining the situation with hot water we would have made other arrangements, do yourself a favour and make other arrangements!!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank DISTipperary
Reviewed 3 October 2009

From the moment we walked in the door we were made to feel at home by the owner/hosts. Everything was sparkling clean, the room was spacious, no fuss and very clean. Bed was comfortable. Nothing was too much trouble.
It is in the centre of Athlone, a walk to restaurants and attractions. We could leave the car and walk.
Breakfast was delivered to us om piping hot plates, freshly cooked and with a smile.
We were there for two nights, the first we ate at the Olive Tree which had a special - two courses for £20. It was a nice meal and the wine was reasonably priced.
The second night we took advantage of a special running Monday to Friday at Top Deck. For £10 you could chose anything from the menu except the steaks. Excellent value and tasty food. Would highly recommend this B&B if you are going to Athlone.

All in all a good experience.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Elsie J
Reviewed 28 June 2009

I hate to give a bad review, because Maureen was so helpful and pleasant (even when I had to call at 11PM and ask for a blow dryer!) However, this was our last night in Ireland after a two week stay in some great country B&Bs. We hadn't stayed near a city center and now I know it was for good reason. I was a little scared when I pulled up to the B&B because the area seemed to be on the "wrong side of the river." When we got there, a young girl said that Maureen thought we would be more comfortable in one of their "apartments" rather than a B&B room. We thought "Great!" until we walked a block away, turned through a parking lot, entered a locked gate next to a bet-booking place. I had my young daughter with me and I have to say I was very nervous about the area. The apartment was basic with lots of doors - kind of a strange layout, but very spacious! We walked down, across the river, to the village, which was very quaint, but not much going on. That's okay - we knew we would have to get up early to get to the airport. The noise of people yelling and traffic kind of kept me awake for a little while and I was kind of nervous about our car being left in the parking lot with lots of my Ireland purchases in the trunk, but I eventually was able to drift off to sleep.

The cooks did a fair job with breakfast - eggs again. Kind of wish we had other choices, but that's okay. We met Maureen, thanked her and left for the airport.

Although Maureen was fantastic, this really wasn't quite what we thought it would be and kind of disappointing for a last night in Ireland.

It's good if you want to be downtown, but not if you are used to country B&Bs.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 June 2009

My partner and I booked in to Arch House Apartments for a two night stay and found it to be exceptional in every sense. The apartment was spacious with modern decor and facilities and although we were in the centre of town there was absolutely no invasive noise so we felt very relaxed after our visit. We were offered breakfast in Arch House B&B each morning and this was served by friendly smiling staff who obviously enjoyed their job. They were very knowledgable of the local area and as a result we had a fun and culture filled weekend and ate in fantastic restaurants. I didn't realise Athlone has so much to offer and I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2008

By far one of Ireland's best kept secrets is the Arch House B&B in Athlone.As a business traveller,who spends at least 3 nights away from home,I've finally found somewhere that would tempt any discerning traveller to stay ! Centrally located in Athlone town,this gem has all the comforts of one's own house but all the extras of a family run hotel.It has the friendliest of staff ,with a genuine Cead Mile Failte' making it truely a home from home !

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 14 August 2008

stayed here last weekend and i must say it was very clean and comfortable. Its town centre location was ideal and only 5 mins walk to all bars and restaurants. Pleasantly surprised being in town centre that it has its own secure carpark. They provided a very substantial Irish breakfast and Maureen, whom i think was the owner made an exceptional host.

Stayed: August 2008