“A super friendly, great value Irish guesthouse”

Coosan Cottage Eco Guesthouse
Ranked #10 of 20 Athlone B&B and Inns
Yorkshire
“A super friendly, great value Irish guesthouse”
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Coosan Cottage Eco Guesthouse was perfect for our requirements. Tommy the owner could not do enough for us. We were late to arrive and by the time we'd unpacked he'd knocked up a smoked fish chowder with some Irish soda bread, served with a welcome pint of Guiness. He gave us batteries for cameras, helped us print out directions, gave us tips on where to visit next and all of it with good cheer.

One evening we stayed in the bar area and had a sing song. A guitar was passed around and people sang songs or recited poetry by the stove. Classic. Will definitely go again when I'm in Athlone.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor have better views, rooms downstairs are possibly a bit quieter
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Yorkshire19

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
San Francisco, California, United States
Reviewed 29 March 2013

I've just returned from an eight day stay at Coosan Cottage Ecoguesthouse. It is/ was by far the most profound experience of my trip to Ireland. Once arriving at the cottage I was greeted by friend Tommy O'Neill who was/ is welcoming and engaging. Before settling into my room, we sat for a pint or two, chatted and had some get to know you time. I was in Athlone for a mission and that was to discover some of my Irish roots and hopefully meet relatives still residing in Athlone. Once settled I took a look see at the cemetary across the street to see if I could find family names. I did and took photos of plots for further research. Later on that evening, members of the Coosan Community began coming in for a few pints and lo and behold, I was meeting people who would ultimately lead me in the direction of my ultimate goal. The warmth, hospitality and friendliness of Coosan Cottage, staff and the community are incredible. I came with the goal of finding family and that mission was accomplished. I met a lovely cousin who brought me up to speed on the news of my family and there are so much more to meet. More was found however, I found myself being welcomed as a community member as a member of Athlone and where I have made friends (extended family) for life. I highly recommend Coosan Cottage Ecoguesthouse to individuals and families traveling. In fact, the whole town of Athlone is a remarkable and welcoming town. I can see myself lliving there and in the not so distant future. I will be back to what is now my home away from home.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank EdwardK613
Reviewed 25 March 2013

We are a family of five from Wexford and needed a B&B for two nights and after ringing a few I called Tommy in Coosan Eco Guesthouse and made a booking. Not knowing what to expect we were hoping things would be just Ok but on arrival Tommy met us at the door and after a nice fun introduction he showed us our room and we were very impressed. We settled in and decided to go up to the in house bar where from the start we were made feel welcome by both the staff and the other local customers and after a while a sing song started and the owner Tommy got out his guitar, brilliant is all we can say. Next morning at breakfast he played loads of attention to the kids and they loved it he even serenaded us at dinner that evening. A fantastic stay and most definitely we will be going back.

The Whelan family from Wexford

• Stayed March 2013
Athlone, Ireland
Reviewed 11 March 2013

Just so lovely. Beautiful location. The rooms were spacious and well looked after. Very comfortable beds. The people there were so friendly. Tommy the owner was great and lots of fun. Me and my family had a great time there for an anniversary. The little bar area was nice and we had a great night.

The breakfast the next morning was nice and tasty. I would definitely recommend this place to people and I will definitely return!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Eilish B
Reviewed 26 February 2013

What a pleasure to stay at this lovely place. The hospitality and attention to each person who stayed here was exceptional. Tom is a fantastic proprieter. Choose the eco guesthouse, and enjoy your stay.

• Stayed February 2013
Reviewed 26 February 2013

The rooms are great and the beds are delightful. Tommy treated us to a full Irish in the morning and kept the bar open for us the night before. It was really clean and welcoming and you don't feel like just a number when you stay there, you feel like a person. Thank you Tommy for a great stay!

• Stayed March 2012
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 26 January 2013

If you want to experience the real Ireland - go here.

Bang smack in the middle of Ireland, so really convenient if you are travelling...
but what makes it so special, is that your B & B is also a (very small) pub.
Feels like you are in someone's house for the night.

Get a feel for what Irish people are like, issues they discuss,
the (small) crowd here, are (in my experience !)
all really friendly, and happy to chat.

Sporadically, occasionally, friends will gather and sing ...
but this isn't a tourist attraction, so no guarantee, or times posted !

And then the breakfast ....... Tom will (ask) and cook to order....

Worth going here just for the breakfast !! If you want XX with XX,
with XX on the side .... Tom will probably make it happen !!

Wonderful to sit, and enjoy the ambience, whilst being served a breakfast,
cooked to your wishes.......

aaaahh ....

No wonder it is the Lonely Planet's recommendation in Athlone ........

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo