“Reunion of Group of 20”

Glasson Country House Hotel & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Reviewed 19 February 2012

We chose Glasson for its location and facilities.The Hotel staff were very helpful with advice re activities over a two day period.These activities included Golf,a Boat Trip on the Shannon with Viking Mike,and a visit to Nearby Clonmacnoise Abbey .All these activites were possible with the help of the Hotel Staff, very friendly and helpful bus drivers and tour gides.
We would highly recommend Glasson Hotel and Country Club for all comfort,hospitality and good value.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
GlassonGlasson, Manager at Glasson Country House Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2012

Dear Garry,
I am delighted to have read your review and thanks a million for sharing your experience of Glasson with the rest of the tourism world. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and that we helped to put together your itinerary during your visit. There is so much to see and do around the Lakelands region, including Clonmacnoise, the Shannon cruise and of course our championship golf course. The hotel is ideal for groups like yours- as everything you need is within only 10/15 minutes drive from the hotel. Athlone is only a "stones throw away" from Glasson village, offering fantastic shopping and entertainment opportunities.
Garry, I do hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future. Give me a call directly so that I can get the opportunity to meet you myself and maybe organise some more fun and interesting things to see and do in the midlands.

There are newer reviews for Glasson Country House Hotel & Golf Club

Reviewed 7 February 2012

We attended a large function in early Feb. This was the 5th time I have stayed at Glasson House, and I have always been impressed by the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. We upgraded to a Deluxe room (extra cost, maybe I could have got it for nothing if I had delayed booking, but I did not want to risk it!). Large room, lovely view, and the walk-in shower was a real luxury. The only thing I would change is the big and too spongy pillows.
We ate out in Glasson village on Fri evening. There were only a few staying in the hotel that night, and breakfast the next day was cooked in the kitchen - very good. We played 12 holes of golf at a very good rate and with complimentary trolleys. As the crowds arrived we spent the afternoon in the bar watching the rugby. The bar staff were very busy but kept smiling. From the bar menu I had a small tartlet filled with onion marmalade and with grilled goats cheese on top with a side salad for lunch. It was good.
Our evening meal was in the function room upstairs. Food and service were very good.
Breakfast on the Sunday was disappointing. My pet hate is rashers that are cooked in a large pan in the oven. As a result the top is crispy but underneath they are pale and the fat looks undercooked because it has been swimming in the water released during cooking. The scrambled eggs were equally unappetising. Definitely not 4 star food.
I would not hesitate to stay again, the location and hotel itself are top class, I just hope the breakfast is better the next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view. This also ensures that you are not disturbed by cars leaving late at night or a...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Mykosha,

Thanks a million for your comments and we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed most of your stay here at Glasson. We are always trying to improve the products and services we offer all our guests and in order to do so, feedback from our customers is both welcome and expected. We always get great comments in relation to our beds, and the fluffiness of our pillows and duvets do help to make our beds much more comfortable.

I am disappointed to hear about the "rasher" situation, I have passed your comments to our chef and we have taken on board your comments in relation to the rashers and the eggs.
We were delighted to welcome your function back to Glasson again this year and we look forward to meeting you again next year. In the meantime, if you wish to visit Glasson in the near future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly so I can persoanlly discuss your requirements.

Reviewed 16 January 2012

We spent a weekend in Glasson at a family wedding. From start to finish everything was superb. Beautiful views over Lough Ree on the entrance to the hotel. Lovely warm welcome by the hotel staff. Very spacious and comfortable surroundings. Tasteful decor. The bedrooms were most impressive especially the very comfortable beds. I would have to say I probably had one of my best sleeps ever. All meals were thorougly enjoyed by all. A great place to stay for any occasion.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank laurie69

Dear Laurie,

Thanks a million for your lovely comments. We are delighted to hear that you "probably had one of your best nights sleep ever"; that really makes our job all the better. We get alot of positive feedback about our food and service, however the beds get a great mention too.
Make sure to come back to us again in the future, for some more much appreciated uninterrupted sleep!! Check out the hotel website, which is updated regularly with special offers and packages to suit shopping breaks, relaxation getaways and golf trips.

Reviewed 11 January 2012

We stayed at this hotel for our yearly family reunion and enjoyed a lovely weekend.
The staff were welcoming and friendly and we hope to return back again next year for. more of the same first class treatment

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Stellamarisachill

Dear Stella,

I am delighted to have read your lovely comments about your recent stay at Glasson. I can tell you it really brightens my day when I hear that you and your family thoroughly enjoyed your stay and that we exceeded your expectations during your visit. The managment and staff work very hard to ensure that we always offer a high quality service, and the good feedback makes it all the more worthwhile. Don't forget to tell all your friends about your trip, and spread the word about Glasson, truely a hidden gem in heart of Ireland.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to Glasson in the future.

Reviewed 6 January 2012

My husband and I stayed in Glasson for the fourth time 01.01.12.
We had our wedding reception there some years ago, and simply love returning to where we had one of the best days of our lives.

The staff are always very welcoming when we visit, and nothing appears to be any trouble. The rooms are finished to a very high standard, with the most comfortable beds. We stayed in a Deluxe Room with stunning views of the Lake and Golf Course.

Throughout, the Hotel keeps to this high standard of comfort and elegance with a lovely warm and comfortable atmosphere. I would highly recommend this Hotel to anyone in need of a much deserved break, or indeed as wonderful Wedding venue. May you have as many happy memories as we have.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Clodagh F

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely comments and we are delighted that you still enjoy your time with us at Glasson, even on your fourth stay. We are delighted with our venue here, although we are always continuing to improve our product and service offering. The beds are a true gem, and previous comments confirm that the beds really are comfortable.
I have passed your comments around to all the team and we are all thrilled with your lovely review.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Glasson in the future, introduce yourself the next time you are here so I can personally introduce myself and give you the "Warm Glasson Welcome".

Kindest Regards

Reviewed 4 January 2012

overall the hotel is nice but no gym or pool, you would need a car if planning on visiting. I stayed here for a weekend at a wedding, I found the food and bedrooms were excellent but the staff were really unfriendly especially the function manager in the hotel who would not take two seconds to listen to you. The hotel is also very understaffed having the barman gone to help with the function and only available for a short period of time.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Patrick L

Dear Patrick,
Thank you for your comments in relation to the food and bedrooms, we are getting consistently excellent feedback about the quality of the food here at Glasson and it is one of our top priorities.

We value any comments that are made to us and appreciate the time taken to share your opinions. Your comments have been passed to all members of staff, and will no doubt help us to further enhance the experience we provide to our guests. It would appear that your experience was
different from that experienced by the vast majority of our guests, we are disappointed that your experience wasn't up to the high standards to which we aspire.

While we are outside of the town , the ease of access to the golf course, the inner lakes, and Athlone town itself, it is the ideal venue for either the getaway, a wedding or a business trip.

We do hope to welcome you back on another occassion, introduce yourself whenever you are next here.

Reviewed 18 December 2011

From the moment we booked glasson, staff were the most helpful and accomodating group i have ever come across. We booked a year in advance on recomendation from a friend of a friend and could not have been happier. I (the bride) felt like an absolute princess from the first day and carried right through till the day after, your hospatility is second to none and i mean that. Couldnt believe it when i left the room for the church (in a mess as bridsmaids/brides do!!) and came back later to find it immaculate and complimentary luxury goods from glasson, honestly its little things like that that make a brides day even more special than it already is! i cant say enough for gareth (ur a star), robin (food was AMAZING, golf carts you arranged to bring us down to the jetti were Ciaran and the groomsmens highlight!!!!), Fidelma, Louise and all the staff, honestly i cannot say enough about all of you! Even nanny cotter was impressed about the accomodating service you gave her, thanks, means alot! and you kept my bridal boquet alive and well for me to take home! ha!
Well we're off now on honeymoon, but honestly for any brides-to-be who are looking at venues its amazing, and for a weddng, you lot made it the most hassle free day i've ever had, and that's not easy to say after weeks of planning a wedding day! thanks again, see you next year for the renewal! ha!
Love Rhona and Ciaran Cotter.
Married 16th December 2011

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Rhona,
Thanks a million for your lovely comments on Tripadvisor. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we helped make your wedding a day to remember. I have passed your comments around to all the team in reception, catering and our wedding department and they are delighted with your kind words. Tell Nanny Cotter we said hi and that she is due a visit to Glasson shortly!!

We thoroughly enjoyed looking after you and all your family and you both make a lovely couple. We always make sure that we put in that extra special effort so that all guests enjoy their stay, no matter if it's for business golf, a wedding or just a relaxing break away. Make sure and pass the good word about our hotel to all your friends. We hope you enjoyed the Honeymoon and we look forward to welcoming you back to Glasson for the First Anniversary celebrations.