“One Night in Athlone” 4 of 5 bubbles

Athlone Springs Hotel
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
“One Night in Athlone”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2013

I stayed here because the Radisson and other more central hotels were booked out. I spent less than 12 hours in the hotel in total as I was busy in the town, but I can say that:
The rooms are very nice indeed, though I did get one (room 104) which has an air conditioning plant outside the window and was located over the late night (Sat) bar with it's local musical entertainment. This did not bother me as I had a few scoops and slept like a log. However the fact that I was even remotely aware of it indicates that a less somnolent person should be concerned about that room and it's environs.

Notwithstanding the delicate state of my constitution at 0900, I found the breakfast to very good and the staff to be very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Do not get a room above the bar
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
James D, General Manager at Athlone Springs Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2015
Dear Tom634,

Thank you for your review.
Feedback like this helps us become better at what we do and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the not too distant future.
Athlone Springs Hotel Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Dublin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2013

We stayed here on 15th Feb for one night. My wife was attending a business conference and I was relaxing. Reception was efficient and friendly. The room was perfectly acceptable and we booked in for spa massages in the Zen spa. Again, this was very nice. The main flaw over our stay was the service for lunch on the Saturday. My wife's group, having pre booked and pre paid for the lunch had to wait one and a half hours to be served. This was totally unacceptable and inexplicable, so we won't be back.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Michael H, General Manager at Athlone Springs Hotel, responded to this review, 19 February 2013
Dear SkindiverDublin,

Thank you for your review of our hotel and your kind comments regarding our reception,our rooms, and on our Zen Spa.

I am obviously disappointed to note that lunch service for your wife was less than acceptable as you seemed to have a long wait despite her having pre ordered in advance

First of all may I apologize for the level of service on Saturday last which was caused by a number of issues relating to the pre ordering system which we usually operate in the hotel running less than smoothly.

This was due to the fact that only one third of the delegates who went to the conference chose to pre order but all of them arrived into the restaurant for lunch.

This will not happen again as we have since looked at the issues it has raised for us operationally and we have put in place a system which will ensure a much more managed approach when a conference does not wish to include the conference lunch into its fee.

Again I thank you for your review and I would hope that if you return to us anytime soon I would be afforded the opportunity to restore your confidence in our hotel.

Many Thanks Again
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2013

We enjoyed a few days relaxing at the hotel .. Lovely food in bar on arrival & in restaurant on second night . Staff very helpful with helping us organise activities 4 family over few days & dinner in town on last nite ... Only little thing I would say is during term holidays maybe breakfast could be bit later .i.e 1030 possibly .. Would have liked more zzz in morning ... However overall would highly recommend the Hotel .

• Stayed February 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Michael H, General Manager at Athlone Springs Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2013
Dear TobsN,

Thank you for your review of our hotel and for you kind comments regarding our helpful and friendly team. I am glad that you enjoyed your food in both the bar and restaurant.

We are delighted that you and your family found Athlone in general to be to your liking and that you were able to find activities that suited your family during your stay.

On the breakfast comment we have already addressed this and as you recommended pushed our weekend breakfast service forward to10.30am.

Again thank you for your comments and I hope to see you all back in Athlone very soon.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2013

just back stayed there 10th feb till 12th have to say a very nice hotel ... right not in the best location would be lost if i didn't have the car, value for money well worth it .. the food was lovely ordered dinner in the bar staff very nice and one of the bar staff asked my son what would he like even if it wasn't on the menu, food came out very hot and lovely we weren't waiting to long for it.. breakfast was lovely and i asked one of the staff if we could have some pancakes as it was pancake Tuesday ..

the staff were very friendly especially on the front desk tony very helpful. the rooms were very comfortable the view wasn't the best but didn't bother me. used the gym not bad my son loved the pool they could do with a bit more for kids to do.

the wifi in the hotel was very strong in the reception area but not the best in the rooms..

we will be coming back to stay again and a bit longer ..

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Gerry M,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I must say how particularly delighted I was with your comments regarding your dining experiences in the hotel and the fact that we went the extra mile with regard to menu offerings and flexibility of menu for our little guests.

Our team are always empowered to ensure that they do as much as possible to facilitate guest’s requests.

I am unsure as to the ages of your children but for another visit I would highly recommend you looking at the following kid’s activities in the Athlone area and to perhaps make use of our discounted rates with all of these companies

1. Glendeer Pet Farm

2. Adventure Athlone Activity

3. Viking Boat Trip

4. Leisure World

5. Jump For Joy

Thanks again for you very kind review
Portarlington, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013

Stayed here on a girly break with some friends. We had a twin and triple room. Triple rooms are located a long walk from the lift so be aware of this if you have any difficulties walking long distances. There was a hen party next door who were very loud in the evening but we did not hear them that night (although that could be as we went to bed quite late) - perhaps ask to be away from large groups if you are away on a romantic or quiet break. Lighting in both rooms was quite poor but I find this alot in hotels, it can be difficult to apply make up in low lighting! Breakfast was good but I feel there should be a menu for items to order from the kitchen in all 4 star hotels and this hotel did not have this. I did ask for poached eggs but had to request them twice as the server rolled her eyes at me but said she would order them, fifteen minutes later I reordered from another server as there was no sign of the eggs!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Lollypops 12,

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel and for your 4 star rating of our property. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that on the whole it was an enjoyable experience.
Regarding your comments on the lighting we are currently sourcing a new type of light bulb which we hope will ensure that you will not have a reoccurrence of this problem on your next stay.

We have always had a printed menu on our breakfast tables offering a selection of items over and above the offering on our regular breakfast Buffet.

It may have been the case that these had inadvertently not been put out on your table on the morning in question.

I am disappointed to learn therefore that a team member let us down during breakfast.

All our team are empowered to go the extra mile to ensure guest satisfaction by carrrying out requests efficiently and speedily. Poached eggs are a regular request for us as is French toast and porridge with honey.

Once again thank you for your comments and I hope to see you and your friends on a future visit to Athlone.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2013

Am just back from one night stay in Athlone Springs hotel. I was asked by a group of people from many parts of Ireland to organise an overnight stay in a central location. a friend recommended this hotel, and we were not disappointed. The party, as with many groups, did not stay as was originally booked, but to both Tony and Karyn, especially Karyn, this was not a problem at all. We even had 4 people not staying in the hotel who came along and joined us for dinner.
No problems at checkin, we were all roomed on the same floor, the 2nd. Not sure if there are any more floors! Anyway, the room was spacious and bright, even though it overlooked a housing estate, but I was not aware of any privacy issues, as there was the obvious curain to be pulled. There were the usual amenities in the room - hair drier, tea/coffee, safe, shampoo, soap, etc. The bathroom was fine, with a fantastic rain shower, even though the floor could get a bit wet from the splashes - no opportunity to close a door - no door! Not a problem though. The bed was fine, plenty big and comfortable. Didn't avail of the gym, but the pool was really fine. An area cordoned off for the serious swimmers who just wanted to do lenghts, and an area for families to swim/splash about it. There was a very big jacuzzi, good steam room and sauna. plenty of room in the changing room also.
As mentioned above, I had organised dinner for 14, and the food was really good, plenty of it, a good choice for each of the 3 courses. And served with a smile. A band was providing live music, which was quite entertaining, although the bar area inself is a bit on the small side.
Breakfast, however, was a little bit disappointing. We had come for breakfast at possibly the busiest time and had to wait to be shown to our table. As nobody arrived, we set off to find our own tabe, and were able to sit beside some of our friends. The table was not cleared from the previous occupants, but when asked, one of the waiting staff quickly attended to it and provided new plates, cutlery etc. A good selection, though not large, of cereals/fruit, the usual breakfast items - mushrooms, beans, bacon, tomatoes, sausages, but a shortage of both scrambled and fried eggs. They did come, though. Plenty of coffee/tea and the usual juices apple, orange, cranberry, grapefruit.
Overall, a very good experience. This hotel is very easilly accessed from the main Dublin/Galway road - basically come off the dual carriageway and head for Monksland, only about 2-3 minutes from this road, Junction 13.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank AtrueDub
Dear Atruedub,

galway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2013

just back from a 1 night stay and really enjoyed my stay, i was weary first when i heard the hotel was in an housing estate,but as soon as i entered the hotel my worries were gone. reception were great and the room was fab the bed was so comfy did not want to leave. made use of the pool and hot tub again no complaints,great value for money,cant wait to go back

Room Tip: i would say any room is nice
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family