well I honestly don't know where to start with this review!!
I suppose good points first
rooms are spacious, and probably one of the nicest showers (rainfall shower) I've experienced in any hotel!
that's pretty much it!!
the bad points, oh WHERE to.start!!
1. The Cedars Bar; well I went in for a drink before dinner, female staff member behind the bar pretty much ignored me.for 5 minutes while she flaffed about behind the bar (should have saw this as a sign.of the service to come) eventually male.member of.staff returned and took my order and then set about chastising female staff member for ignoring customers! asked for a glass of ice for with my drink and its safe to say from the grime on the glasses that I drank out of the bottle! whilst waiting for dinner I couldn't help but notice grime caked wine glasses hang in from the ceiling! my other half wanted a drink before dinner and I ordered a short with a juice and to make a long story short the carton of juice was in the fridge that long I got to see what cultured bacteria looks like mixed
with spirits!!! drink.was replace quick enough when pointed out to barman!! (having previously worked as a barman for in excess of 8 years in hotels and pubs I could go on and on about the finer things that I noticed but that would just be flogging a dead horse)
2. the cedars resteraunt; oh dear is all I can say!!! things went from bad to worse!! we were seated, handed 2 menus and waitress walked away from us, no information regarding specials or what may be off the available menu. and so the fun started. ( before I go any further I must highlight that the resteraunt wasn't overly busy, there was one large group of approximately 12 dining, and 3 smaller groups of 4 people maximum dining, and that there were 3 waitresses and a manager working on the resteraunt floor). the table directly behind us hadn't been cleared prior to our being seated (I'll come back to this trivial plot point in about 90 minutes when we are finished eating)
so the fun commences, we are seated for about 15 minutes before any of the staff come back near us, and when one of the waitresses does come back to us my other half asks would it be possible to see a wine list and would there be a possibility to see an a la carte menu with the intention of paying any supplement to choose a dish from said menu! menu arrives and another 10 minutes pass before waitress returns, a different waitress I might add, so any who we set about ordering and as we.set about ordering the steaks, which WERE on the set menu we were informed that there weren't any steaks being served today! why have them on the menu in the first place so? food order finished and we order a bottle of red wine and staff member arrives back with a bottle of white wine!! could this get any worse I hear you ask yourself
any who almost 45 minutes after being seated our starters arrive out, and I have to say they weren't bad at all, things were looking up, served by a different waitress I might add
onto the main course, about 10 minutes between courses, so far so good, things were looking up, until my main course of roast beef arrived and sitting proudly atop it was a nicely cooked FROZEN Yorkshire Pudding! they aren't the hardest things in the world to make! that aside it was edible, although if I'm honest I'd hazard a guess that it was leftovers from a variety lunch served earlier in the day. desert time and again not too bad, and brought to us by the third waitress, hattrick scored!. so that's 3 courses down all served by 3 different waitresses and a visit from the resteraunt manager mid meal to see how everything was!
now so back to that table behind us, 3 courses and 90+ minutes later and guess what, yup it's STILL not cleared!!!!! as we got up to leave the only table I could see that HAD been cleared was the one the large group had been seated at!
3. the public toilets in reception; hmmmmmmmm what can I say, I'm always a firm believer that you can judge any establishment be it pub, resteraunt OR hotel by the cleanliness of their toilets! the toilets looks as though they hadn't been attended to in a number of hours, with water pooling on the sink counter tops and what I can only assume was urine on the floor at the urinals! as for the walls AROUND the urinals all I can say is they could do with inspecting the work of cleaners as there were stains caked onto the walls which could only be as a result of use of the urinals!!
thankfully we only had to endure one night, and abstained from breakfast the following morning and departed to return home!!
can safely say that I won't be returning and nor would I recommend anyone to stay
with regards to most hotels I usually feel that it's the small things that all add up to make a great stay
unfortunately in the case of the athlone springs hotel it's was the unending list of small things that added up to a unforgettable stay!!!!
how this hotel maintains a 4 star rating is beyond my comprehension
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sleep, relax and refresh yourself at the Athlone Springs Hotel. Modern and elegant with 68 spacious bedrooms, this 4 star hotel is among the best in Athlone. The bedrooms are luxuriously furnished in warm tones. All bedrooms have the option of a bath with overhead shower with additional extras such as work desk, TV and free Wi-Fi. If you are feeling extra tired, the lazy checkout is an option, subject to availability of course. Push the boat out with breakfast in bed and room service. Guests can also avail of the state of the art Zen fitness and leisure centre and free parking. A family friendly hotel, the Athlone Springs Hotel offers excellent facilities for families including kid's camps and children's pool at the leisure centre. Family rooms are available, some with interconnecting rooms. Additional camp beds and cots are available on request. For the ultimate experience in luxury accommodation, the Manhattan suite comes with two widescreen LCD TVs, a separate sitting room, "his and hers" bathroom, jacuzzi bath, walk-in shower, bathrobe and slippers. Fresh flowers and champagne can be organized ahead of your arrival to surprise that special someone. Zen fitness and leisure centre has a 20m swimming pool, sauna, jacuzzi and steam room as well as all the equipment you would expect in a modern gym. Zen Beauty will have you pampered and preened for a night out or melt away your troubles with a message. Dining in the Athlone Springs Hotel is a relaxed affair with superb food from both the Cedar Bar and Cedar Restaurant. Offering excellent service from friendly local staff and a locally sourced menu, the award winning chefs like to follow nature's lead producing food that is in-keeping with the season. The Athlone Springs Hotel is a choice destination for events and conferences. The conference meeting rooms are climate-controlled and include a choice of two boardrooms, five syndicate rooms, executive business centre, integrated audio visual and multimedia equipment as well as ample parking. The Clonellan suite can hold up to 500 people and can be partitioned. A beautiful venue, superb wedding team, excellent food and service make the Athlone Springs the hotel for your wedding day. The dedicated wedding coordinator will be by your side from start to finish making sure everything goes off without a hitch. No matter what your budget, requirements or aspirations, the Athlone Springs Hotel can fulfill your needs. Private suites are also available for religious blessings or civil ceremonies. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Priceline, Agoda, Superbreak UK, TripOnline SA, LateRooms, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Athlone Springs Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.