“how this hotel is 4 stars is beyond me”

Athlone Springs Hotel
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Navan, Ireland
“how this hotel is 4 stars is beyond me”
Reviewed 3 April 2013

well I honestly don't know where to start with this review!!

I suppose good points first

rooms are spacious, and probably one of the nicest showers (rainfall shower) I've experienced in any hotel!

that's pretty much it!!

the bad points, oh WHERE to.start!!

1. The Cedars Bar; well I went in for a drink before dinner, female staff member behind the bar pretty much ignored me.for 5 minutes while she flaffed about behind the bar (should have saw this as a sign.of the service to come) eventually male.member of.staff returned and took my order and then set about chastising female staff member for ignoring customers! asked for a glass of ice for with my drink and its safe to say from the grime on the glasses that I drank out of the bottle! whilst waiting for dinner I couldn't help but notice grime caked wine glasses hang in from the ceiling! my other half wanted a drink before dinner and I ordered a short with a juice and to make a long story short the carton of juice was in the fridge that long I got to see what cultured bacteria looks like mixed
with spirits!!! drink.was replace quick enough when pointed out to barman!! (having previously worked as a barman for in excess of 8 years in hotels and pubs I could go on and on about the finer things that I noticed but that would just be flogging a dead horse)

2. the cedars resteraunt; oh dear is all I can say!!! things went from bad to worse!! we were seated, handed 2 menus and waitress walked away from us, no information regarding specials or what may be off the available menu. and so the fun started. ( before I go any further I must highlight that the resteraunt wasn't overly busy, there was one large group of approximately 12 dining, and 3 smaller groups of 4 people maximum dining, and that there were 3 waitresses and a manager working on the resteraunt floor). the table directly behind us hadn't been cleared prior to our being seated (I'll come back to this trivial plot point in about 90 minutes when we are finished eating)

so the fun commences, we are seated for about 15 minutes before any of the staff come back near us, and when one of the waitresses does come back to us my other half asks would it be possible to see a wine list and would there be a possibility to see an a la carte menu with the intention of paying any supplement to choose a dish from said menu! menu arrives and another 10 minutes pass before waitress returns, a different waitress I might add, so any who we set about ordering and as we.set about ordering the steaks, which WERE on the set menu we were informed that there weren't any steaks being served today! why have them on the menu in the first place so? food order finished and we order a bottle of red wine and staff member arrives back with a bottle of white wine!! could this get any worse I hear you ask yourself

any who almost 45 minutes after being seated our starters arrive out, and I have to say they weren't bad at all, things were looking up, served by a different waitress I might add

onto the main course, about 10 minutes between courses, so far so good, things were looking up, until my main course of roast beef arrived and sitting proudly atop it was a nicely cooked FROZEN Yorkshire Pudding! they aren't the hardest things in the world to make! that aside it was edible, although if I'm honest I'd hazard a guess that it was leftovers from a variety lunch served earlier in the day. desert time and again not too bad, and brought to us by the third waitress, hattrick scored!. so that's 3 courses down all served by 3 different waitresses and a visit from the resteraunt manager mid meal to see how everything was!

now so back to that table behind us, 3 courses and 90+ minutes later and guess what, yup it's STILL not cleared!!!!! as we got up to leave the only table I could see that HAD been cleared was the one the large group had been seated at!

3. the public toilets in reception; hmmmmmmmm what can I say, I'm always a firm believer that you can judge any establishment be it pub, resteraunt OR hotel by the cleanliness of their toilets! the toilets looks as though they hadn't been attended to in a number of hours, with water pooling on the sink counter tops and what I can only assume was urine on the floor at the urinals! as for the walls AROUND the urinals all I can say is they could do with inspecting the work of cleaners as there were stains caked onto the walls which could only be as a result of use of the urinals!!

thankfully we only had to endure one night, and abstained from breakfast the following morning and departed to return home!!

can safely say that I won't be returning and nor would I recommend anyone to stay

with regards to most hotels I usually feel that it's the small things that all add up to make a great stay

unfortunately in the case of the athlone springs hotel it's was the unending list of small things that added up to a unforgettable stay!!!!

how this hotel maintains a 4 star rating is beyond my comprehension

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jmcd432

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 18 March 2013

Just back from a great weekend away, we never left the hotel well maybe just around the corner to the shops. The room was lovely not overly big but efficient for the stay we had a baby and a child with us. The staff were lovely especially Tony on reception who we all think secretly lives there, lol. We ate at the bar, food was lovely both lunch and dinner. Breakfast was delicious plenty of variety. Baby especially loved the sausages couldn't get enough. Poached eggs were perfect both mornings always a bonus:-) leisure centre is great pool is lovely kids had a great time again the staff were lovely if we had to nit pick towels could be bigger and shower curtains updated:-( Travel cot in changing room was great. Only thing in the room shower had a big leak above the shower head so unless it was all the way up the bathroom got absolutely drowned so had to use all the towels to dry it up. Found some dirt behind the lockers in the room but again that's being picky. Oh and went looking for washing up liquid to wash the babies bottles and girl on reception didn't know what it was and another member of staff said they had none so just curious what they wash up again lol. Seriously though highly recommend this hotel great value, relaxing, friendly, clean and we'll be returning.

• Stayed March 2013
James D, General Manager at Athlone Springs Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2015
Dear Aveb,

Thank you for your review.
Feedback like this helps us become better at what we do and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the not too distant future.
Galway
Reviewed 15 March 2013

We bought a discounted 1 night stay at this hotel,it was beautiful and the staff were amazing each and every one. Although it was outside of Athlone town centre it was still convenient. The restaurant and bar offered great deals on the food and we ate there. The meal we had was delicious and the service excellent. Our room was huge..a twin room but had 3 beds. Huge bath,great shower,tea and coffee making facilities etc. No complaints about this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Dear Paula Galway,

Dublin
Reviewed 9 March 2013

We strayed here for longer weekend. Hotel is not on the best location (far from the city) and also the neighborhood is not attractive at all. These are the only minus.
Rooms are very modern and big enough. Also bathroom is clean and big. Free Wi-Fi in the rooms. Breakfast during the weekdays is from the menu and at the weekend is full breakfast bar which is much better (as you can take more then 1 option).
Staff is really polite and friendly.
I really like leisure center with Turkish bath, sauna, swimming pool and Jacuzzi. Center is really big and busy as they have quite few members from the town.
This was my second stay in Athlone Spring. Nice modern hotel for good value. And just over hour drive from Dublin.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fils33
Dear Fils33,

Ennis, Ireland
Reviewed 5 March 2013

There was 11 of us travelling from Clare to Carrick On Shannon for a Hen Party. I had arranged to stop off in Athlone for Finger food on the way up. I had emailed Athlone Springs before hand to organise this, Victoria and Nicola who I had been emailing were so helpful and made everything so easy.
Everyone loved the food and there was plenty to go around. We were served 2 huge platters of sandwiches, Chicken goujons, Cocktail sausages, & Spring Rolls, My sister is Celiac and also has food allergy's and they made her up a huge salad bowl as requested. The staff were all so nice and couldn't do enough for us.
I would highly recommend stopping off here for food, They do very reasonable group offers.
The hotel itself looks lovely and I hope to come back and stay for a night or two :)

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Michael H, General Manager at Athlone Springs Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Alfie,

Thank you for your review and your kind comments..

Michael
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 23 February 2013

I stayed here because the Radisson and other more central hotels were booked out. I spent less than 12 hours in the hotel in total as I was busy in the town, but I can say that:
The rooms are very nice indeed, though I did get one (room 104) which has an air conditioning plant outside the window and was located over the late night (Sat) bar with it's local musical entertainment. This did not bother me as I had a few scoops and slept like a log. However the fact that I was even remotely aware of it indicates that a less somnolent person should be concerned about that room and it's environs.

Notwithstanding the delicate state of my constitution at 0900, I found the breakfast to very good and the staff to be very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Do not get a room above the bar
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Tom634,

Dublin
Reviewed 18 February 2013

We stayed here on 15th Feb for one night. My wife was attending a business conference and I was relaxing. Reception was efficient and friendly. The room was perfectly acceptable and we booked in for spa massages in the Zen spa. Again, this was very nice. The main flaw over our stay was the service for lunch on the Saturday. My wife's group, having pre booked and pre paid for the lunch had to wait one and a half hours to be served. This was totally unacceptable and inexplicable, so we won't be back.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Michael H, General Manager at Athlone Springs Hotel, responded to this review, 19 February 2013
Dear SkindiverDublin,

Thank you for your review of our hotel and your kind comments regarding our reception,our rooms, and on our Zen Spa.

I am obviously disappointed to note that lunch service for your wife was less than acceptable as you seemed to have a long wait despite her having pre ordered in advance

First of all may I apologize for the level of service on Saturday last which was caused by a number of issues relating to the pre ordering system which we usually operate in the hotel running less than smoothly.

This was due to the fact that only one third of the delegates who went to the conference chose to pre order but all of them arrived into the restaurant for lunch.

This will not happen again as we have since looked at the issues it has raised for us operationally and we have put in place a system which will ensure a much more managed approach when a conference does not wish to include the conference lunch into its fee.

Again I thank you for your review and I would hope that if you return to us anytime soon I would be afforded the opportunity to restore your confidence in our hotel.

Many Thanks Again