“Food way below average”

Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Tipperary, Ireland
“Food way below average”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night recently, with a deal rush voucher we had received as a gift. Im not sure whether dinner menu was specific to deal rush customers but it was very poor, cold soup, main course very dissapointing, overall a bad experience, on the plus side the staff were very nice and helpful. The bedroom was quite comfortable but the bathroom was cold and smelled of stale urine. I will not be returning.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Michael H, General Manager at Athlone Springs Hotel, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear Sexymama68,

Thank you for your review which i am obviously very disappointed with but to that end perhaps your would be so good as to contact me where I can discuss our shortcomings in detail.

Michael

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
ireland
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Just returned from a 2night stay in Athlone Springs. Have to agree with the previous reviewer ; in fact I think we may have been allocated the same room! Bathroom was chilly ; lighting was very poor making it impossible to read ; telephone - impossible to hear person on the line, making contact with reception very difficult; no shower cap supplied . However , all staff were exceptionally helpful, especially Paul on reception who ensured that our request for a quiet room was met.

Dera IrelandJosephine,

Thank you for your review and the comments you made. I wonder did you have your Thermostat turned up in your room as this does dictate the temperature in the room. If you would be so good as to perhaps call me me so as I can get to the bottom of these issues and restore your confidence in our product.

Tralee, Ireland
Reviewed 16 November 2013

My husband and I stayed overnight at the Athlone Springs Hotel recently on a business trip. I have often stayed at the Athlone Springs before and have always found it to be comfortable and welcoming.

We arrived late in the evening and were given a very warm and efficient welcome by Paul on reception who checked us in and allocated us a quiet room on the second floor with nearby access to the hotel leisure centre.

We were disappointed however, to find that the room was very cold - this was however remedied quickly by turning on the thermostat. The bathroom, despite being pleasantly appointed in appearance, remained freezing cold and we had to brace ourselves each time we entered it during our stay.

We had some difficulty operating the television but managed to work it out, but there seemed to be an issue with the lighting - some lights/lamps not working or "crackling" and the bedside telephone crackled to such a degree that we could barely hear Paul in reception on the other end of the line when we reported our difficulties. A member of staff did respond promptly however, to ensure that the television was working, but not help out with the lights or telephone.

We did however, have a comfortable nights sleep and the following morning I got up at 7.30 to go for an early swim in the hotel pool. However, when I signed in at the Leisure Centre desk and asked for a towel I was told apologetically that there were none available - luckily I had a towel from home in my sports bag. The pool water was also unfortunately decidedly cool.

I was however, delighted with the breakfast menu. They have updated it since our last stay here and I can honestly say that you won't find a more varied and innovative breakfast menu in any hotel of this rating. I chose the bruschetta with mushroom, tomato, goats cheese and pesto which was beautifully prepared and presented - my husband went for the traditional full Irish. There was also a lovely selection of continental items and their brown soda bread was fantastic.

I can definitely say that the hotel has excellent staff and serves wonderful food. We were however, definitely disappointed by our room. But I would be hopeful that this is just an exception that can happen at times and I would have to say that with previous good experiences of this hotel behind us, we would definitely return.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room near the leisure centre end of the hotel but away from the rear which faces ont...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Alcudiafan,

Thank you for your review of our property and you comments particularly regarding our menus and food in general.
I was disappointed in some of the failings you identified and we have made your comments the focus of a maintenance and training review we carried out recently. Hopefully on a future visit you will see the benefits of this review.

Thanks again

Dungarvan
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I use the hotel for business regularly. It has very high quality spacious bedrooms with good en suite bathrooms. All the common areas are comfortable and pleasant. The Gym and pool are very good facilities. Its a quiet place a couple of miles outside Athlone. Its probably easier to stay if you have a car. The staff are really good here. They are friendly and helpful. I was surprised someone found it cold, its usually very warm particularly in the bedrooms. Breakfast is just average served in a very pleasant breakfast room. I find the staff here much quicker and more responsive than Raddisson and the Sheraton in town. Otherwise there isn't much between the three hotels. The other two are convenient for shops etc

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Cabrinindungarvan,

Thank you for you kind comments regarding our hotel. Perhaps on a future visit you would make yourself known so as I can thank you in person.

Ballinskelligs, Ireland
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

I liked this hotel, especially the room, that was attractive and well appointed without being fussy!

I could have given this a 5* rating if the catering was more intelligent and prepared for my Vegan dietary requirements. The issue here is one I do come across quite often - chef or catering managers who don't realise that Vegans want (and need) to have protein in their meals just like any other human being. Yes, I had a great stir-fried vegetable dish with rice but vegetables was all of it! Uh? And, being expected to pay the same only adds insult to injury... and, just think about it, a form of dietary injury is what it is. How many meat eaters would pay full price for a plate of veg?

Anyway, the front of house staff we're lovely, esp. at breakfast time, so full marks there.

As I said at the beginning, I did like the ambience at this hotel... hope you do too.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Russel J.

Thank you for your positive review. You and I spoke on the day in question regarding Your dietary requirements and the fact that we did not have the Tofu you would have liked. Allow me to apologize again for our failing in this regard.
we have made you comments the subject of a food and beverage review that we carry out regularly here at the hotel and we now carry a more varied menu item list for Vegans.

Thanks again for what was on the whole a positive review.

galway
Reviewed 10 November 2013

The hotel is lovely and new but very cold! We ate in the restaurant it was filling and yummy. The wine i think is quiet pricey just for a glass i think compared to other places. The breakfast was a let down i think. There were no boiled or fried eggs, hash browns, muffins or cold meats. I think there should be a larger selection of fruit salad. We stayed there the 2 nights and the second morning i wasnt in a rush for the breakfast. The swimming pool is big but very cold and the jacuzzi. The tv channels were very fuzzy in our room. The shower was very powerful and nice but no shower caps were provided and there was no bath. The room was just too cold for me. I had the heat on full but it kept switching off. All the staff were very friendly and helpful bar 1 member at breakfast who just stood by the wall staring the whole time it was a bit weird.

Room Tip: 205, 207, 209 ect all along that corridor has a view of a house estate back gardens and supervalue l...
Dear Tiger Lilly Fudge,

Thank you for you review and your four star rating with which I am pleased about. However you do raise some issues as regard to Swimming pool temperature which I remember had dipped to 28.5 degrees on the weekend in question so my appologies for this issue. It has since been rectified.

With regard to breakfast we normally get many positive reviews with the fayer on offer but we do refrain from putting out the full array of eggs as we do Fried, Poached and Boiled to order in the interest of quality. this should have been pointed out by our Seater and greeter on the day in question.

Again Thank you for your review

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We bought a dealrush voucher to use at the hotel and we added an extra night ourselves. It's a small hotel, very nice and clean. The food was fab both nights. There was a Halloween disco which our little ones loved, it was very well organised. I would definitely recommend this hotel for a break away. One con tho...it's a good bit outside the town so you'd need a car...!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear Raemie 12,

So delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that the children took full advantage of the Kids Disco.

Perhaps we may see you again on another Mid Term Break.

Thanks Again