“Average at best”

Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Letterkenny, Donegal, Ireland
“Average at best”
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

Arrived here and as it's name suggests it is a hotel that sprung up between a housing estate and a car dealership. Don't expect any panoramic views because they don't exist. On arrival we were greeted by Kristina who was most pleasant and when we requested a room change she was very accommodating. The bar staff were extremely pleasant and are probably the best asset this hotel has. The room was adequate, nothing special, but functional. Breakfast was a huge let down, and the staff here should watch the bar staff to see how guests should be tended to. We arrived and weren't greeted, two girls were standing at the check in stand chatting bout the night before and flicking through a news paper, it seemed to inconvenience them that we were there, we weren't offered a table or tea or coffee, we basically helped ourselves, the breakfast menu is very very poor, only egg option available is scrambled and chef can't do any other, pudding was cremated and the rest of the hot option wasn't hot!!! The cold option consisted of either a yogurt or a fruit salad, no meats or melon etc, huge let down, hotel is outside of town, so what you save in price will be spent in taxis. Better options in the centre of tone, have stayed on the Sheraton and raddisson and are far ahead of here. Won't be back here will be staying in either of the two aforementioned .

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Michael H, General Manager at Athlone Springs Hotel, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Dear Keith

Thank you for you review.

I am so disappointed to read you comments particularly in relation to breakfast which we normally get good comments on.
just as a point of note the issues you raise are all valid but they stem from their being nobody available to seat you when you arrived and to explain that we do a lot of items a la carte from the kitchen to order such as fried , poached and eggs Benedict. we also do a cold meat platter fresh from the kitchen.

none the less thank you for your review and if you could be persuaded to give the hotel another chance do not hesitate to contact me to make your booking.

many thanks

Michael

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 5 December 2013

i could go on and on about how amazing our stay was,but i will just say-room was spotless roomy and comfortable,staff were so helpful with everything.ate in the bar the 1st night and was tasty,huge portions and very reasonably priced.a fantastic pool with jacuzzi,steam room and sauna.its a must stay if you are visiting the area.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Michael H, General Manager at Athlone Springs Hotel, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear Daveybullets,

Thank you for your review and your kind comments.

Hope to see you on your next visit.

Thanks again

dublin ireland
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights, even though its not in the most scenic of locations, its in a business park area, didn't bother us at all. We were greeted by the lovely receptionist, who was very helpful telling us the information of the hotel. We got to our room and I was delighted with it! It was just as I had expected to be, a great big bed, that was very comfortable! The room was nice and warm, and so was the bathroom, we didn't touch the heating control at all. Shower was amazing, very powerful, It was very clean also.

We had dinner that was included in our deal, we were both starving as we had just got there, so we were glad we could be fitted in for dinner in the restaurant at such short notice.

My husband had the Chowder for starter, and I had Pea and Bacon soup, both lovely. We both had Sirloin steak for the main, there was an €8 supplement charge each, but we didn't mind. Really enjoyed the meal!

The bar is a bit on the small side, but the lads behind the bar make up for it! haha They were great, very nice and chatty, especially Conor and Pat, Conor went above and beyond when our TV would not work, ( this was at 1am) fair play, he got it going! All the boys were great, and I had a lovely Blue lagoon cocktail, that are only €5 on a Saturday,good value. It was also nice on the Saturday afternoon, the manager came around and spoke with people, had proper conversations with them. He asked us were we staying with them, we said yes, and he asked how we were enjoying it so far. Think its a nice personal touch, that I have not come across in other hotels.

Breakfast was good, good choice, although I couldn't eat much of it due to being hungover, you know yourself! LOL I blame the cocktails! haha

All in, I would definitely recommend this hotel, staff, rooms and food all excellent. If its a nice relaxing stay you want, go for it!

Not a Spa person so cannot comment on that.

1 Thank steverus
Dear Steverus,

Thank you so much for your review and the comments their in.

so glad you had a good time.

Co. Down
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed here approximately 6 months ago with our 2 young children and returned in October with friends. Tara the receptionist could not have done any more to welcome us and make our stay as enjoyable as it was on both occasions. To dine in the restaurant was expensive but the food was beautiful. Breakfast was excellent, buffet style so you could pick and choose which was great for the kids as well as the adults. Rooms was spacious and very clean and the beds were huge and comfortable. Staff were very pleasant and helpful and are a credit to this hotel. A visit to Zen leisure and spa is a must during your stay! I was very impressed with this hotel especially the staff as my previous occupation was in hotel management. Can't wait to come back!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Tipperary, Ireland
Reviewed 26 November 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night recently, with a deal rush voucher we had received as a gift. Im not sure whether dinner menu was specific to deal rush customers but it was very poor, cold soup, main course very dissapointing, overall a bad experience, on the plus side the staff were very nice and helpful. The bedroom was quite comfortable but the bathroom was cold and smelled of stale urine. I will not be returning.

Dear Sexymama68,

Thank you for your review which i am obviously very disappointed with but to that end perhaps your would be so good as to contact me where I can discuss our shortcomings in detail.

ireland
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Just returned from a 2night stay in Athlone Springs. Have to agree with the previous reviewer ; in fact I think we may have been allocated the same room! Bathroom was chilly ; lighting was very poor making it impossible to read ; telephone - impossible to hear person on the line, making contact with reception very difficult; no shower cap supplied . However , all staff were exceptionally helpful, especially Paul on reception who ensured that our request for a quiet room was met.

Dera IrelandJosephine,

Thank you for your review and the comments you made. I wonder did you have your Thermostat turned up in your room as this does dictate the temperature in the room. If you would be so good as to perhaps call me me so as I can get to the bottom of these issues and restore your confidence in our product.

Tralee, Ireland
Reviewed 16 November 2013

My husband and I stayed overnight at the Athlone Springs Hotel recently on a business trip. I have often stayed at the Athlone Springs before and have always found it to be comfortable and welcoming.

We arrived late in the evening and were given a very warm and efficient welcome by Paul on reception who checked us in and allocated us a quiet room on the second floor with nearby access to the hotel leisure centre.

We were disappointed however, to find that the room was very cold - this was however remedied quickly by turning on the thermostat. The bathroom, despite being pleasantly appointed in appearance, remained freezing cold and we had to brace ourselves each time we entered it during our stay.

We had some difficulty operating the television but managed to work it out, but there seemed to be an issue with the lighting - some lights/lamps not working or "crackling" and the bedside telephone crackled to such a degree that we could barely hear Paul in reception on the other end of the line when we reported our difficulties. A member of staff did respond promptly however, to ensure that the television was working, but not help out with the lights or telephone.

We did however, have a comfortable nights sleep and the following morning I got up at 7.30 to go for an early swim in the hotel pool. However, when I signed in at the Leisure Centre desk and asked for a towel I was told apologetically that there were none available - luckily I had a towel from home in my sports bag. The pool water was also unfortunately decidedly cool.

I was however, delighted with the breakfast menu. They have updated it since our last stay here and I can honestly say that you won't find a more varied and innovative breakfast menu in any hotel of this rating. I chose the bruschetta with mushroom, tomato, goats cheese and pesto which was beautifully prepared and presented - my husband went for the traditional full Irish. There was also a lovely selection of continental items and their brown soda bread was fantastic.

I can definitely say that the hotel has excellent staff and serves wonderful food. We were however, definitely disappointed by our room. But I would be hopeful that this is just an exception that can happen at times and I would have to say that with previous good experiences of this hotel behind us, we would definitely return.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room near the leisure centre end of the hotel but away from the rear which faces ont...