“Your Average Hotel”

Athlone Springs Hotel
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Reviewed 28 February 2014

When I first arrived I thought the location wasn't that great. When I saw the hotel in a picture there seemed to be no shops or anything surrounding it. Turns out its in a retail park! When I entered the hotel the entrance was quite average but the receptionist was very kind and helpful. The hallway to the rooms are very gloomy and the room itself was quite small and very very hot! I couldn't get to sleep! The dinner and breakfast was alright nothing to write home about. All in all average hotel probably won't be coming back.

Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Alexis C
Michael H, General Manager at Athlone Springs Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Dear alexis,

Thank you for your review.

I am disappointed that our location was not to your satisfaction but Happy that you found the welcome good.

we use all comments to try and improve our guest journey and we will be using your comments to further develop our training and product.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

I would like to start on a positive note, the service we received here was very good the staff were friendly and attentive. Stayed in this hotel with my husband and our 15 year old daughter. We had booked a room suitable for the three of us. We were given a small room with one double bed when we raised this issue a single bed was brought to the room, the only way the bed would fit was to push the two beds together. It felt like a camping trip! We also requested a quiet room as we new it was midterm and as a light sleeper I thought it a better option. The room we received was the first room on the corridor and on route to the leisure centre we also didn't have to go to the bar to hear the band playing that night we just sang along in our camp bed! At that stage you either had to laugh or cry. The hotel could do with a good spring clean in some areas . Breakfast was not great more then one person asked to have the food heated as the holding temperature was lukewarm which is a disaster waiting to happen no eggs and you had to ask got tea/coffee. We did mention the disasterous nights stay to reception when we were checking out and were told they would give us a larger room next time - which we had paid for on this occasion. This is not likely to happen since we will not be crossing their door again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear Swan98,

Thank you for review disappointing as it is. Perhaps you would be so good as to contact me direct to discuss our failings on this occasion.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Just left this hotel after the weekend and we had a lovely time the staff are so friendly and could not do enough. The hotel is spotless and the food is excellent. we had a three course meal as part of the package and can honestly say it was the best package meal we have had in any hotel in Ireland and we have had a few ,the choice was plenty and all the staff were very pleasant .
The rooms are lovely very spacious and peaceful. The leisure centre is adequate and we enjoyed it.
The hotel was packed with children as it was mid-term but it wasn't a problem .
The hotel is located a few mins by car outside Athlone town but it did not matter to us as we kicked off our shoes when we arrived and did not come back outside until it was time to go home.
To the general manager that walked around the dining room at breakfast to greet people well done. To the staff well done. We will be back.

Mature couple
Dublin.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mary R

Dear Mary R,

Thank you for your kind review. So glad you enjoye your stay.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

Just left this hotel after 3 fantastic days here...Came here with my partner an 2 kids Coyle (9) an Aoife (7) who didnt want to go home :) They had a great time in the kids club with Cathal Ciara an Chris,definately recommend this hotel for kids club they kept my 2 very happy ! Overall all the staff were lovely and couldn't be anymore helpful to us thank you all so much an see you all at Easter :) oh sorry not forgetting the food absolutely delicious an leisure centre brilliant NO complaints at all.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Elainedub

Dear Elainedub,

Thank you for your kind review and your kind comments regarding our kids camp.

I am so glad they enjoyed their stay too.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Have just returned from a lovely time at the springs hotel.
We had two adjoining rooms and they met our needs very well.
We had two younger kids and two teenagers and this hotel suited
all our needs splendidly. The breakfast was really lovely. On the second morning
however I missed the lovely fruit salad, so my advise would be to get there early to
avoid missing it. We primarily picked this hotel because of the kids club and although
there were no other kids in the club, our two really enjoyed themselves. They had a
great time and it gave us a break to use the wonderful leisure facilities.
We had the best time in the lovely pool, and it's very well run by friendly staff who give
you lovely fresh towels for your convenience.
As a family we have stayed in many hotels over the years buy so far this hotel is our favourite.
The staff are so friendly and helpful, and they offer really good value for money which is what lots of families are looking for.
We cannot wait to go back.

Room Tip: We had room 116/118 and it was very handy for going to the pool with the kids. Nice and quiet also.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear JBJ89,

Thank you so much for your positive review.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

There are sigificant complaints worthy of noting for anyone wanting to stay here, unfortunately.

First let me say that the staff does it's very best but inefficiency and mismanagement ties their hands.

The location is against it unless you enjoy looking over an industrial mall. Worse as it was winter and no tree leaves to help conceal some of the dreary view and the traffic whizzing by on the motorway.

Our room had the same rotten view. The bathroom had a toilet that required two repair visits before they finally were able to get it to flush. Considering that the panel covering the flush button was half missing, you can't imagine how that could have been overlooked. Plus, who designs a toilet so that it cannot be flushed unless the toilet seat is lowered? The seat covers the flushing mechanism. Madness.

The lighting system is just as insane. You can't turn off the lights on one end table without turning off the other ones. So that my husband who reads at night kept me awake because I couldn't shut off mine on my side of the bed. Insane.

The door handle to the tiny balcony was loose and when you shut it the front door to the room rattled.

The dinner on Valentine's Day was delicious even though once again, you're gazing out the large windows onto the motorway. Good chef though and same for the bar menu where we had dinner the following night with good service. Excellent Guinness too.

Breaktast the following morning was a joke. And the joke was on us. No one to greet you when you entered the restaurant so you found your own way and when we got to the buffet there were no eggs. The dishes were still wet. I had to dry mine before putting the food on it.
And had to hunt down a girl to get the eggs and the tea.

The bacon and mushroooms were easily the worst possible. Leathery bacon and steamed mushy mushrooms.
But here's an amazing thing. The following morning all this was different and a great breakfast which says to me that the Saturday crew really dropped the ball.

When we checked out and were asked how was our stay I told them. No offer of any sort of recomenpense was forthcoming. Bad policy and made me want to write this review.

Room Tip: Make sure your room isn't in need of repairs!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Fashioista,

Thank you for your review which obviously I am disappointed in (2 Stars).
I know our reservations team were in touch to discuss your comments in detail and I hope that you found our handling of your issues to your satisfaction.

On a positive note i am glad that you enjoyed you evening meals and that the team were attentive.

I am however sorry that our location caused you so much distress but we are close to the town and very accessible off the Motorway which is something many people like.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

I have previously stayed here on two occasions with friends so decided to stay here on a recent business trip. I got a very good deal online. Bar food was excellent. Breakfast was again a let down, on the first morning I had to leave without breakfast after requesting poached eggs from two different members of staff and waiting 20+ minutes. No menu on tables as mentioned by manager in reply to my previous review on tripadvisor. Really need to get their act together in relation to breakfast, it was very clear to me that despite an empty restaurant the staff did not want to serve me so I left. Following morning eggs arrived after a lengthy wait, they were over cooked. Very disappointing for a four star hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear Lollypoops12,

Thank you for your review and indeed the constructive criticism which we will use to improve our breakfast offering

I am however glad that you found the bar food "excellent" and that you got a competitive deal on your room rate.

Many thanks