“Fine Hotel”

Athlone Springs Hotel
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Reviewed 15 September 2008

I have stayed here for five weeks over the past year and it is a very nice hotel. The rooms were always clean and tidy as was the leisure centre(which i made full use of). Each week i was here with a group of mature students and one thing that really annoyed me was one of the waitresses ( foreign girl) apologised to other guests because the only seat available in the restaurant was beside us which made us feel terrible. All the staff other than this girl were very pleasent . Other than this we got a great deal and the food was always very good. I hope to return here with my wife and children for a weekend in the near future. A little dissapointed that there has been no follow up with special offers since my last stay. Most other hotels will do this and i have returned on some occasions to hotels with good offers.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Bat100

Reviewed 15 August 2008

First impressions are really important and for me the decor of the hotel really impressed me, it's amazing. The foyer, the room, restaurant, pool and spa are all so beautifully decorated. The food was gorgeous and the staff were friendly and helpful. As part of our package we had complementary massages and it was wonderful. I had read some reviews of this hotel after I booked and read that it was in an industrial estate, and to be honest I was a bit worried, but I'm so glad we went. It is in a small industrial estate, but we were only about 7 minutes away from Athlone town in the car, but to be honest we didn't leave the hotel much as we made use of all the facilities there. We really will return for a break again. We enjoyed it and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Thomas and Mary Garton.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2008

We arrived at about 2pm on the 5th August for a 3 night stay. checking in was very efficent, however, when we went to our room, it was a large double bed. we had a 4yr old with us. there was big fuss about getting a bed for him, even though I did phone the hotel 2 weeks in advance to advise them that i had a child. Anyway they did sort. My partner ended up getting no sleep on the first night. He stayed awake all nite from the height of heat in the room. It wasn't that they had heating on but the rooms are simply too warm. The weather we had was rain so it wasn't like it was hot outside. The window could only open a little. He went to reception in the morning and they told him that there was nothing they could do to help him. He suffered on for the next 2 nights even though he wanted to go home after that first night. Also, I think it is an absolute disgrace that there was no bath in the room. I realise the rooms are a little bit contemporty but my idea of going away on a break is havin a good soak in the bath at the end of the day. All in all, most of the staff were lovely, Orla in particular in the bar and Dawid also. If there was a few more of these here, it could be a good place. Leisure centre staff are brilliant and everyone of them friendlier than each other. Overall, I would not stay here again as it is that bit out of the centre of things. It says a 5 minute drive into Athlone but what about the traffic.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Lainey30
Reviewed 14 August 2008

Booked through the website with no problems. My room was excellent (2nd floor) - beautiful big comfortable double bed. very spacious room and double shower. nice mini bar. I didn't try the dining room but I had breakfast delivered by room service - piping hot and right on time. Couldn't fault the hotel - reception very helpful giving directions and free morning paper. would definitley recommend this hotel and I will stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 August 2008

I've been a while putting up my review and I've one big complaint! We stayed here with family to celebrate an occasion in May and there were communions going on at the same time. The special needs rooms which we were checked into were just not suitable for anyone over 5'5" as I had to crouch in the shower but because they were booked out this was the room I ended up having to stay in. We ate in the restaurant and had made our reservation quite a bit in advance - in fact at the same time we were booking the hotel. We ordered and the food arrived over a half hour later and not everyone was served at once. It was mayhem, with both guests and staff having to navigate the children running freely around the entire restaurant completely unchecked. The restaurant manager apologised and explained staff had let her down and how busy they were. So I let it go. Last saturday I again ate in the hotel, this time in the bar and ordered a salad. It took over a half hour for the salad to arrive and as the restaurant was empty there was absolutely no excuse for the delay. It shouldn't take long to get food out of the kitchen and I was so disappointed with the service on both occasions.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank erinWestmeath
Reviewed 31 July 2008

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank bl0ndie895
Athlonesprings, General Manager at Athlone Springs Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2008

Reviewed 23 July 2008

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)