“lovely hotel..........value for money! :)”

Athlone Springs Hotel
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Reviewed 19 September 2010

we stayed for 4nights in july, as we were competing at the european triathlon championships. when i booked the hotel 8 months earlier, i assumed by the address that it was near the centre of Athlone...........its not!- its a 3mile walk!
when we arrived, it was 8.55pm,our bus dropped us and our bikes off..........we had been travelling since 12pm, and were starving!
the receptionist told us that last orders for meals was at 9pm-we went next door and were told by a member of staff that last orders were in and there would be no more orders taken! :(- ended up having to walk to the next door convenience store and buy bananas and pot noodles etc to eat in our room! (was not impressed at this attitude!)
however, the room was gorgeous and huge! dont expect a scenic view from this hotel...........it is in an industrial estate!
we were kept awake during the nights with residents using the door beside our room..........it was very squeaky and every person who used it seemed to bang it off the wall!!! :(
think we were 320 euros for 4 nights bed and breakfast which was excellent value for money! meals in the hotel were very expensive.........as were drinks from the bar (soft and alcoholic!)
the staff were very accomodating and would arrange taxis for you.
the swimming pool is huge for being attached to a hotel (20m long-compared to the usual pathetic paddling pools you normally get at a hotel!)- you need to wear a swim cap in the pool (can buy for 2 euros i think at desk)- has a decent multi gym too.........these facilities are also open to the public-so expect them to be busy at weekends!
overall, a lovely hotel, i would recommend and i would come back! :)

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 September 2010

My family (which includes a three month old baby) stayed for three nights here. The value for money was excellent. It is a modern hotel about ten minutes out of town. A bit bigger than I envisaged but it was fairly quite when we were there.

We made a number of requests to the staff and they were very pleasent and happy to assist. In fact the people of Athlone seem very friendly. Because I have a couple of young children we ate in the bar each of the three nights. My wife and I rarely agree! However, we both felt that the food was excellent, far superior to typical bar menu fare. The menu in the bar resembles that of the adjoining restaurant.

The one issue is the location. The hotel is location beside a small shopping precinct but you cannot really go for a walk around the hotel as it's on a main road and it does not have any grounds. The hotel is ten minutes drive into the town centre. If you want to be at the centre of things in Athlone book the Sheraton but you'll pay a premium for it.

In summary, the hotel appears to be very well managed. If like us, you are aware before you book of the short jaunt to get to the town centre then the location may not be a big issue.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 August 2010

I have just spent 3 nights in Athlone Springs Hotel with my husband and two young children. The hotel is extemely clean and comfortable , beds are comfortable and rooms are a good size. Food in the restaurant is excellent and well presented. Breakfast is self service and is the usual low quality display found in most hotels. 230 euros for three nights bed and breakfast and one evening meal. However there is absolutely no atmosphere or anbience in the hotel. It sits in an industrial estate and lacks any character or charm . Staff are similar. We arrived at 1pm to be informed that check in was at 2pm. The receptionist then put her head down and continued typing. I stood for a few seconds expecting to be shown to the bar and offered te/coffeee whilst I aited or to be checked in and then to pick up the key at 2pm. When I asked if she could take our details at least she said "Like I explained you will have to wait to 2pm, not my rules". This was off putting straight away. On our third morning we had to set our own table for breakfast and when i asked for butter and milk, I was told to take it off another table. Overall not a pleasant experience. Nice hotel to spend a night in if you are passing through Athlone and dont mind poor customer care.

Reviewed 24 August 2010

from value to having a fantastic sleep .i would give it 10/10.my 4 year old is very shy and the staff of the kids club looked after her very well.the price and quality of food is very good and not forgetting the leisure the centre also 10/10.

Reviewed 21 August 2010

I reacently returned from a one night break in the Athlone Springs Hotel.
I booked directly with the hotel and this was handled very efficiently. I also rang nearer my stay to add on the lazy check-out option. I did enjoy my stay and all the staff from reception, to the restaurant, to the bar were all lovely and very friendly. The basics of the hotel are wonderful but it was the little details that I felt very let down by.

To start with I was hugely disappointed that the shower in my room had a shower curtain and not a shower door. After having a shower the whole bathroom floor was flooded with water. Not only is this a huge health and safety issue, but I do not expect to have to mop up the bathroom floor when I am staying in a four star hotel. The hotel website, brochure and TV screen at the back of reception all show a door on the shower. This is very misleading and disappointing.

On Saturday evening the hotel fire alarm went off twice. There was no attempt to explain to guests what was going on. I had to go to reception and was informed that there is a fault in the system. How can they expect guests to know the difference between a real fire and a fault in the system? Again, this could prove to be a fatal health and safety issue.

Myself and my partner had a meal in the restaurant on Saturday evening. The restaurant is beautiful and the choice on the menu was outstanding. I ordered soup and lamb, which were both beautiful. My partner ordered garlic mushrooms and duck. The garlic mushrooms were also beautiful but when the duck was brought to the table it was accompanied with wedges!!! The menu stated potatoes and fellow guests dining beside us got potatoes. This was very disappointing as it really didn’t go well with the duck and ruined the main course for my partner. Again, not what I’d expect from a four star hotel.

I had full intentions to get breakfast to my room on Sunday morning. But upon arrival I couldn’t believe it when I discovered that is was €7.50 per person to get breakfast brought to the room. How can any hotel justify charging this extortionate amount for a very basic service?

It was these little details that really took away from my stay in the Athlone Springs and would influence my decision to stay again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2010

This is a really family friendly hotel. The receptionist was extremely helpful on checking in. She explained in detail the amenities of the hotel and chatted to our three small children. She also recommended some local activities.
The room was fine, a little cramped as there were 5 in the room, the hotel could do with some family suites. Also the t.v in the room is tiny and looks silly as the room is so spacious.
Food in the hotel is of a very high standard. We had dinner in the hotel on the first night and everything was of a high standard. The staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast next morning was equally as good, with good variety and plenty of everything.
I will definitely be recommending this hotel and hope to return for a girls night out next month!

Reviewed 12 August 2010

We had tried to find a room in Galway but had no luck so decided to drive towards Dublin as we needed to get the ferry back the next day. Found the hotel advertised on a hoarding at the side of the road & decided to give it a go.
We were given a very large triple room with a super king bed & a single. The bed was very comfortable & the room & bathrooom very clean.
The staff at reception & in the restaurant very friendly & helpful. We ate our evening meal in the restaurant & the food was very nice & the helpings very large. My partner asked if they did cheese & biscuits as being diabetic he could not have the desserts & although they said that they didn't usually sell this they made him up a platter of cheese & biscuits.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple