“Disaster”

Athlone Springs Hotel
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Reviewed 18 October 2010

Booked this for one night with my boyfriend. The rooms had stains on the carpet, curtains and on the ceiling in the bathroom. The buttons for flushing the toilet were so stiff they were nearly impossble to use! No fridge, broken iron. Paper thin walls. Was woken several times during the night by the people above us and very early in the morning by an argument next door (could hear every word). Also loud noise outside (fan maybe). Booked a half hour spa treatment. Started late and finished early. Didn't even get 15 minutes of the 30 minutes, rather pricey massage. Stay in Athlone regularly in different hotels and this is the first time i've ever had such a bad experience.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 October 2010

This hotel which is in an Industrial Estate on the outskirts of Athlone was very clean and comfortable with good food. The staff were ok, not smiling happy people nor were they over welcoming. However the one lasting memory is that another guest walked into my room unannounced with a key some two hours after I had checked in. Apparently he had went to reception, said he lost his key and he gave room number and receptionist just gave him a replacement key without any form of checks to see who he was (but it was my room number he gave). Obviously I complained to the management who offered me an apology but I thought that what happened was inexcusable for a hotel. Unfortunately this is my lasting memory for this hotel, I may or may not use them again, I am yet undecided. This aside I would have given them 4 out of 5 but an error such as this dropped them away down the scoreboard.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 October 2010

Have stayed here a few times. Booking in was completed without fuss. Bedroom was well furnished, safe for valuables provided and modern shower room. Bar food menu was only option due to the main restaurant being closed. The food was well presented and cooked to order, steak medium; the seafood chowder, my favourite starter, gets an 8/10.

On the negative side, re eating in the bar, the tables were too close to each other making one feel as if the people sitting in the table beside could listen in to ones conversation.
The main restaurant was open in the morning for breakfast and its decor made one sorry it had not been open the previous night. Breakfast was warm and not overcooked.

Leaving aside the bar seating arrangement, I would recommend this hotel as very good value for money.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 September 2010

We stayed in Athlone Springs for my Partners 40th Birthday. It was so relaxing and a truely lovely hotel. I really liked the purple lighting in the hall ways. 1 Evening meal was also included in our stay and it was only gorgeous. I would recommend 100%. It is about 2 mins outside Athlone but there was no problem getting a taxi from reception and there is a very good shop, chemist and banklink right next door to the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank noreen15
Reviewed 19 September 2010

we stayed for 4nights in july, as we were competing at the european triathlon championships. when i booked the hotel 8 months earlier, i assumed by the address that it was near the centre of Athlone...........its not!- its a 3mile walk!
when we arrived, it was 8.55pm,our bus dropped us and our bikes off..........we had been travelling since 12pm, and were starving!
the receptionist told us that last orders for meals was at 9pm-we went next door and were told by a member of staff that last orders were in and there would be no more orders taken! :(- ended up having to walk to the next door convenience store and buy bananas and pot noodles etc to eat in our room! (was not impressed at this attitude!)
however, the room was gorgeous and huge! dont expect a scenic view from this hotel...........it is in an industrial estate!
we were kept awake during the nights with residents using the door beside our room..........it was very squeaky and every person who used it seemed to bang it off the wall!!! :(
think we were 320 euros for 4 nights bed and breakfast which was excellent value for money! meals in the hotel were very expensive.........as were drinks from the bar (soft and alcoholic!)
the staff were very accomodating and would arrange taxis for you.
the swimming pool is huge for being attached to a hotel (20m long-compared to the usual pathetic paddling pools you normally get at a hotel!)- you need to wear a swim cap in the pool (can buy for 2 euros i think at desk)- has a decent multi gym too.........these facilities are also open to the public-so expect them to be busy at weekends!
overall, a lovely hotel, i would recommend and i would come back! :)

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2010

My family (which includes a three month old baby) stayed for three nights here. The value for money was excellent. It is a modern hotel about ten minutes out of town. A bit bigger than I envisaged but it was fairly quite when we were there.

We made a number of requests to the staff and they were very pleasent and happy to assist. In fact the people of Athlone seem very friendly. Because I have a couple of young children we ate in the bar each of the three nights. My wife and I rarely agree! However, we both felt that the food was excellent, far superior to typical bar menu fare. The menu in the bar resembles that of the adjoining restaurant.

The one issue is the location. The hotel is location beside a small shopping precinct but you cannot really go for a walk around the hotel as it's on a main road and it does not have any grounds. The hotel is ten minutes drive into the town centre. If you want to be at the centre of things in Athlone book the Sheraton but you'll pay a premium for it.

In summary, the hotel appears to be very well managed. If like us, you are aware before you book of the short jaunt to get to the town centre then the location may not be a big issue.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 August 2010

I have just spent 3 nights in Athlone Springs Hotel with my husband and two young children. The hotel is extemely clean and comfortable , beds are comfortable and rooms are a good size. Food in the restaurant is excellent and well presented. Breakfast is self service and is the usual low quality display found in most hotels. 230 euros for three nights bed and breakfast and one evening meal. However there is absolutely no atmosphere or anbience in the hotel. It sits in an industrial estate and lacks any character or charm . Staff are similar. We arrived at 1pm to be informed that check in was at 2pm. The receptionist then put her head down and continued typing. I stood for a few seconds expecting to be shown to the bar and offered te/coffeee whilst I aited or to be checked in and then to pick up the key at 2pm. When I asked if she could take our details at least she said "Like I explained you will have to wait to 2pm, not my rules". This was off putting straight away. On our third morning we had to set our own table for breakfast and when i asked for butter and milk, I was told to take it off another table. Overall not a pleasant experience. Nice hotel to spend a night in if you are passing through Athlone and dont mind poor customer care.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family