“Worst meal I have had in a long time ”
Review of The Restaurant

The Restaurant
Ranked #25 of 99 Restaurants in Athlone
Price range: US$22 - US$62
Cuisines: European, Irish, Contemporary, Wine Bar
Good for: View, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Blissfully located upon the shores of Lough Ree, The Restaurant at Wineport Lodge enjoys an incomparable setting on the edge of Ireland's peaceful inland waterways. Guests can enjoy a warm welcome from our friendly team and with it, an innovative approach to modern and attentive hospitality. Famously delicious contemporary cuisine accompanied by an eclectic, carefully selected wine list is always on the menu, with the most flavoursome local produce regularly appearing as a daily special. The Restaurant at Wineport Lodge is a truly memorable dining experience.
“Worst meal I have had in a long time ”
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stopped in for lunch, was one of the worst meals I have had in a long time. Both the brown and white bread which was given were stale. The chowder was watery with little seafood. The salad had peppers so stale they had gone soggy. Very very overpriced for the extremely poor quality of food presented. A huge disappointment.

3 Thank Annesin1
Norma W, General Manager at The Restaurant, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Sinprendy,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am very sorry to read that you were so unhappy with your visit to us.

I would like to opportunity to chat to you about this if you would like, please feel free to contact me.

longford
“disappointing”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

My partner and I went for Dinner there last weekend. We were there many times before and loved it. What has happened to this restaurant?
Was sent to bar for pre dinner drinks and we were waiting for a long time for our table.
Starters were not as good as usual and main course was awful, we did not finish it. Were told the young waitress and she asked would we like anything else but we declined, she then asked if we would like coffee, we declined again.......next words were....well would you like the bill then even though we still had half of bottle of wine to finish. We felt rushed and could not relax, we will not be back.

• Visited May 2014
5 Thank chardonnayLongford
Dear chardonnayLongford,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am very sorry to read that you had such a disappointing experience with us.

I would like to have the opportunity to chat to you about your visit if you would like to get in touch.

Dundalk, Ireland
“Extra Special”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We visited the Wineport for our sixth visit at Easter and were not disappointed! It could not have been more perfect. We were upgraded to the Champagne Suite (used to be the Captain's Suite) and it was fabulous! on two levels but with a single long window overlooking the water, you had a beautiful view in the living area and the bedroom. The weather was great when we were there and that makes the views and experience even more spectacular, but we reckoned on our recent visit that the Wineport has upped it's game yet again. The service is better than ever and some changes have been made including the addition of an extra hot-tub and relocating the hot tub area to the ground floor with lake views. We had dinner on one of our two nights and it was superb. My wife had mussels and they were excellent and very generous and I had goat's cheese, also really tasty. For mains, I had a lamb and my my wife had the fish special and both were superb! such a relaxing spot in a beautiful location, we will be back again and again!

• Visited April 2014
Dear MarkW413k,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your wonderful review.

I appreciate your compliments & we look forward to welcoming you back again & again!

Norma Wilson
“Good dinner but poor overall experience”
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

I visited here while on business in the area. On arrival I was most disappointed by the exterior appearance of the building. The woodwork was shabby and needed serious restoration. However inside the room and view was very good. However the balcony had an exterior leak and was very green moulded. Dinner was very good as was the service. But the following morning was completely different. The buffet at 09.15 was seriously depleted, the staff were busy but not with breakfast, they were setting tables for dinner. A most unwelcoming feeling.
The cost of my night was a stark reminder of " Celtic tiger " times. Overall I felt my experience was not good, I could have had a weekend in London for what I paid.. Reduce your prices and renew your building .. That's my advice to management.

1 Thank MrGalway
Dear MrGalway,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am sorry that you did not not enjoy your visit to us.

I appreciate the points you have made & I will take them into consideration.

Dublin
“Pretty Ordinary”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

First impressions were amazing. Lovely setting and great bar service. Unfortunately, it was downhill from there. Food was just OK and the service ranged from good to couldn't care less. Not cheap either.

• Visited April 2014
Dear 16024,

I am disappointed to read that you were not impressed by your visit to us.

Thank you for posting your review. I will take your points made into consideration.