“A great restaurant in a lakeside setting.”
Review of The Restaurant

The Restaurant
Ranked #28 of 107 Restaurants in Athlone
Price range: US$24 - US$65
Cuisines: European, Irish, Contemporary, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, View
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Blissfully located upon the shores of Lough Ree, The Restaurant at Wineport Lodge enjoys an incomparable setting on the edge of Ireland's peaceful inland waterways. Guests can enjoy a warm welcome from our friendly team and with it, an innovative approach to modern and attentive hospitality. Famously delicious contemporary cuisine accompanied by an eclectic, carefully selected wine list is always on the menu, with the most flavoursome local produce regularly appearing as a daily special. The Restaurant at Wineport Lodge is a truly memorable dining experience.
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The Wineport Restaurant is already so well known that is hardly needs a review from me. It is the location for the RTE TV series 'The Restaurant', where celebrities display their culinary skills. However, on this occasion the regular chef was doing the cooking. My husband brought me there for a meal to celebrate my birthday and it was lovely. While we had our meal, we had a beautiful view of the inner lakes which connect with Lough Ree. The staff were most welcoming and attentive. The menu offered good choices of several meat or fish options, but we both chose the 'crispy duck' which was not actually very crispy, but nevertheless very tender and tasty. The main courses come with limited vegetables, so it is advisable to order a side dish, which costs extra.The dessert came with a lighted candle and 'Happy Birthday' written in chocolate sauce on the edge of the plate; a nice touch. I was surprised that there was no French wine on the wine list, but the South African Shiraz proved to be a palatable substitute. I would recommend this restaurant for a special occasion, as the food is excellent, the service is good and it is in a lovely setting. But be warned, it is not cheap.

1  Thank Margaret F
Norma W, General Manager at The Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear Margaret F,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Great to hear you enjoyed your evening with us.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

I had been wanting to visit the Wineport for some time so perhaps my expectations were set a little high. The Wineport is in a beautiful location and the setting could not be faulted, I would actually love to spend a night here to wake up to the views.....I was dining in a group, service was quick, although there was quite a delay between starters and main course. Serving staff were very nice and helpful. Wine selection was good. I had the duck starter and found it to be tasty but very very salty, perhaps because of the amount of soy sauce. For main course I had the Rib Eye Steak and it was ok, definitely not as good as I would have expected from this restaurant. It was lacking any colour and looked like it had been oven roasted rather than grilled or fried which meant it also lacked a lot of flavour. It was served with sweet potato fries, fine, but for me it's hard to beat a normal potato chip. Dessert choice was good. Overall, it was an ok dining experience but I was a little dissappointed after looking forward to it for so long.....

1  Thank prettypink21
Norma W, General Manager at The Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear Prettypink21,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

We really appreciate it.

I have passed your comments on to the kitchen.

Kind regards,
Norma

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I booked this venue and restaurant for my wife's 50th birthday in September 2013. The staff were brilliant and could not have been more helpful.
The location is exquisite sitting right on the edge of the Shannon facing the western sunset.
We booked a boat trip for the 26 of us and with a combination of excellent weather and lovely canapés, beer and prosecco all provided by Wineport lodge, we had a great trip.
Dinner that evening was equally lovely and again the performance of all in Wineport could not have been better.
Sitting outside after dinner with late evening views over the Shannon, outdoor heaters taking away the chill of the night, attentive staff helping to keep our glasses charged, we could not have asked for a nicer way to wind the evening down.
Lovely venue, lovely food, great staff, lovely accommodation, fantastic weather and a very happy wife. Lots of brownie points earned by my efforts with the willing assistance of all in Wineport lodge.

Norma W, General Manager at The Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear mountanville,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed your evening with us.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Here as part of a group for a corporate dinner. Very nice place overall. Food was excellent as might be expected. Nice atmosphere and very civilised clientele. Had some very lovely food and would definitely recommend it to anyone in the area,

Norma W, General Manager at The Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear jpcampion,

Thank you for posting your review.

I am delighted you enjoyed your evening with us.

Best regards,

Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

My wife and I booked a night here for our anniversary. To say I was pleasantly surprised would be an understatement. This place is beautiful and the food was excellent. Every single morsel of food I put in my mouth was delicious. The setting of the whole place is lovely and tranquil. The staff were lovely too. I'll finish by noting that whoever runs this place hasn't missed a step, everything about the place hit the mark. Well done folks, we'll definitely be back.

Norma W, General Manager at The Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear Eamonn,

Thank you for taking the time to post your wonderful review.

We are really thrilled with it.

We look forward to seeing you soon again!