“nice hotel.. but no back up for emergencies”

Glengarriff Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Glengarriff
Ireland / Christchurch
“nice hotel.. but no back up for emergencies”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

We arrived at the hotel 2.30 pm after driving for 5 hrs and discovered there was no electricity/phones or no back up in the event of a power outage..needless to say we were not happy.
we spoke to a very nice lady that told us to call later and hopefully the power would be restored.
having returned back to the hotel at 5.30 approx. there was still no power .we were offered a glass of wine each but as I was driving I declined.. .the manager was not available,and nobody at reception. As it was getting late and no place to stay we eventually got accommodation in Killarney some miles away.We still enjoyed our weekend at much more expence.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank manirish

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

Recently spent 2 nights at the Glengarriff Park Hotel.  We got a great deal  which included 2 nights bed and breakfast, a bottle of wine and a late check out -2pm.  Location is on the Main Street - opposite the tourist office - and we got parking directly outside the door.  Plenty parking to the rear which is probably needed in peak season.

Check in was quick and efficient and we were shown to our rooms on the 2nd floor.  We were 2 couples.  The hotel is a 3 star but rooms were much better than some 4 stars hotel rooms you get when you go abroad.  Rooms were comfortable, spacious, clean and well equipped.  Our room had a double and a single bed, table, chairs, tea/cofee making facilities, flat screen tv, nice toiletries in bathroom -power in shower adequate.

All the staff we encountered were extremely pleasant.  Breakfast was served  from 9 to 11 at weekends and 8 to 11 during week.  Breakfast comprised juices, fresh fruit, pastries, yogurt, cheese, cereal and an option of full irish (bacon, sausages, tomato, mushrooms, black and white pudding) with eggs of your choice (poached, scrambled or fried ), tea, coffee, bread and toast served at the table.

McCarthy's bar is nice for a drink and they have music on Saturday nights.  As we were not in Glengarriff long enough we did not get the opportunity to have dinner in the hotel but we definitely will on the next occassion.

We had bar food in Caseys which was lovely.  We also had a great meal in Martello just next to the hotel -expensive but not for what we got.  Separate review posted.

Glengarriff has lovely walks and is a great base for travelling around. Some lovely shops to browse.

The hotel has about 26 rooms.  There is no pool or gym etc but that is not what you go to Glengarriff for.  I would highly recommend and would have no hesitation returning.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank marcolet
Cork
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

We stayed here in February, a month where nothing is open in west cork!! Made even worse because a particularly stormy winter made sure even the nature reserve had to close it's gates. However, we are planning on returning to this beautiful area and will most certainly be staying here. Right in the centre of the village, beautiful rooms, a lovely experience all around. The staff were lovely and ensured our stay was perfect, I requested balloons in the room as a surprise and the lovely girls even went so far as to ring and check what colour balloons I would prefer. Service like this is much appreciated and I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank blonde1001
Woodstock, Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

I stayed at the Glengarriff Park Hotel for two nights (March 14-16) and had a wonderful stay. The rooms were comfortable - especially the bed - and everything was spotless. The restaurant served a delicious breakfast. MacCarthy's Bar was great and with a nice menu and good music. My only complaint was that there was a lot of time that the front desk was left unattended - which made it inconvenient for people trying to reach you by phone. Glengariff was beautiful and I will return in the future and will definitely stay at this hotel again when I do.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank SandyMarks-Vermont
Hamburg, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

I stayed at the Park Hotel two nights this week while traveling through Ireland. It was a GREAT experience from when I arrived until I checked out. The room was more then I expected. It was a great size,very clean,great shower ( even heated towels) and a very comfortable bed. The best part of this hotel is its WONDERFUL staff (Marie, Sean and Ann-Marie) , they could not have been friendlier or more helpful. I will be sure to come back and tell all my friends and family. On a scale from 1-10 I would give them a 15!!!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Ellicottville, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

I have been conducting tours of Ireland for almost 30 years. I can honestly say that the Glengariff Park Hotel is one of the finest accommodation 's I have ever brought my travelers to. Great food ,great staff and deserves a 10 star rating all day long. It will always be on my stop for future tours.

Room Tip: A perfect place to start your tour of the coast from the Bera to the Mizzen.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Cork, Cork, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

We stayed in the Park Hotel for three nights 14th, 15th and 16th of March. I expected great things after reading the reviews on here. For us this hotel was a mixed bag of good and bad regretfully the bad outnumber the good. Simply put, the good were was follows, a very nice receptionist called Clare, top quality hot food both for breakfast, lunch and dinner, a large and nicely decorated room and ideal location for the music festival we were attending. Now for the bad, well the first morning we were there which was Saturday morning I decided to go for a walk around 8am so I went downstairs and there was nobody at reception. This in itself wasn't a bad thing except I couldn't get out as the front doors were locked. I tried a few times and couldn't open them so I saw a bell at reception that could alert someone. After trying the bell a few times and waiting there was still nobody came. The place was like a morgue as their breakfasts don't start till 9am which I actually thought was late. Eventually I noticed at the side wall by the front door a switch and it said 'to open the door please press the switch', Im sorry but this is not good enough, the sign should be in a more prominent place and there should be at least some member of staff that can come to help someone at reception at 8am in the morning. It wasn't a great start if I am honest. Now the main reason I was going out was to get bottled water. Its a very simple thing to make available in hotel rooms just two bottles of mineral water and there weren't any. Speaking of the room and the shower etc I have to say that while the bed itself was very comfortable the pillows weren't. They were very hard when you lay on them. We had two friends staying in the hotel also for two of the three nights we were there and they had the same problem, the shower was impossible to regulate we just couldn't get it hot, the shower glass partition creaked like crazy (we were in room 209) The toilet paper was poor quality and the towels were really really hard. Now I am aware that hotels cant have fluffy towels as they are washed so often but these were the worst we have come across. Luckily I had brought my own towel. Whoever was cleaning the room never replaced the toiletries that were used. We had stayed in another hotel in the area last October and its a much smaller hotel than the Park Hotel but if I am completely honest it wins hands down with regard to comfort. The only thing that was better in the Park Hotel was the food. I am not sure we would return to the Park Hotel when we are down in Glengarriff later in the year. I really hope that they read this review and address the issues I raised because even if you get one bad review in a hundred it should be taken seriously. There will be a lot of us in the area in October and if the Park had lived up to our expectations we would have been more than happy to recommend it. But for the moment I don't think we could if I am honest

Room Tip: Bring your own towel and pillow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MLORiordan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glengarriff
Maritime Hotel
#1 of 2 in Castletownbere
Sheen Falls Lodge
Sheen Falls Lodge
#2 of 6 in Kenmare

Been to Glengarriff Park Hotel? Share your experiences!