“More please..”
Review of Number 32 Restaurant - CLOSED

Number 32 Restaurant
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Food was excellent and the waiter was really nice. It's pricey enough for what you get.

Reviewed 14 April 2012

Had been so looking forward to going here but just felt that the food was average I will be going back to try it again though

Reviewed 2 April 2012

My husband and I visited Number 32 recently, on the strength of the reviews that I had read on Tripadvisor. I have to say that we were pleased we did as the experience was very positive for our first visit! (Yes, that means we will be returning!)

First impressions were that the restaurant was intimate and nicely furnished. The staff were friendly and welcoming and the menu was interesting and a little different from the average. There were two musicians (keyboard and double bass) playing a nice light selection of jazz which provided us with a lovely atmosphere, without being obtrusive.

We were in the main downstairs area for our meal, and apparently there is a further seating area upstairs which is used for larger groups and when downstairs is already full. We didn't get to see it so can't comment on how it compares decor and atmosphere wise but I do think we would have missed the nice music if we were upstairs. (Perhaps there are speakers there, I don't know!) The music is a Friday night event from what I understood from our lovely waitress.

We ordered a bottle of house red wine with our meal. There was a choice of two on the menu. A Spanish Tempranillo (€19.95) and a French Organic Merlot (€21.95). I was not sure which to try, as I was tempted by the organic wine, even though I normally tend to steer clear of French wines on the whole! The waitress kindly offered to let us try the organic wine, and as it was quite dry we opted for the Spanish one .... which was also a bit dry for both of us! It was quite acceptable however, so we were both happy with it. Pricewise, I think the house wines in Number 32 are more expensive than we are used to in local restaurants, with most places we eat offering wines from €15 or thereabouts.

There were two menus to choose from with an Express Menu offering 2 courses at €19.95 and a 3 course menu offering a larger selection of dishes at €29.95. (This may also have included coffees, but I am not sure as we were both thinking along the lines of the two courses anyhow!)

For starter my husband had a delicious sweet potato, corn & smoked bacon soup, and I had papardelle with a porcini mushroom sauce. I have to say that it was one of the nicest things I have ever had for starter. The papardelle really soaked up the the light yet flavoursome sauce. A real winner for me!

For mains I had medallions of pan fried pork with a cider reduction, served with a portion of mash with spinach. It was a smaller portion than I was expecting, but I was perfectly satisfied when I had finished it and unable to consider a dessert. The pork itself was a little bland, but I don't feel that this is a fault of the chef as I find that pork in Ireland is not nearly as tasty as the pork that we used to get years ago. The meat was very nicely cooked, very lean and tender and it went well with the sauce, but I had to give it a good sprinkle of salt to get some flavour into the meat.

My husband on the other hand had a main course that was to die for!!! (He did share but he left me wishing that I had gone the same route as himself and ordered the pan fried chicken fillet!) It was cooked with a honey and balsamic vinegar sauce and served on a bed of roasted potatoes. I am not sure what the potatoes were flavoured with but they were also absolutely delicious. The portion of chicken was very generous, and it was so tender that it literally melted in your mouth! This is one of the nicest things that I have ever tasted in my life, and Mags the waitress says that this dish has been on the menu for years and never fails to impress customers.

As I mentioned above I was unable for dessert, so my other half opted for a Tiramisu Dipping dessert. In fairness it was described as a "dipping" dessert so he should probably not have been surprised when he was presented with four boudoir biscuits that he was to dip alternately into a shot glass of coffee/liqueur and a shot glass of something nice and creamy, which was presumably a mascarpone cheese/cream mix. It was a bit of a mistake, as other things on the menu being served to other tables looked quite tasty, so we adopted the attitude that "you live and you learn"!

We didn't have coffees, and the bill was about €63 all in. I did think that it was good value for the quality of the food and service that we received.

I would definitely return to Number 32 in the future, if only to have more of that amazing chicken that my husband had for his main course!!

Reviewed 24 February 2012

We live in the UK and have family in Dundalk who introduced us to this lovely restaurant.....this was our second vist and we will definaltely be back again! Good food, good portions, lovely wine and great service with friendly staff, well worth a visit.

Reviewed 22 February 2012

Myself and my partner really enjoyed Number 32's New street Bistro menu tonight, amazing food, perfect portions, excellent service, could have stayed there all night!