“Serious room for improvement”

Ballymascanlon House Hotel
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Dundalk
Dublin, Ireland
“Serious room for improvement”
Reviewed 13 May 2012

Let me first start off by saying that the Ballymac is a favouite of mine and always has been. The grounds and the hotel are beautiful. I cannot comment on the leisure facilities or the golf course as I have used neither however I have noticed a marked downward trend in the food and level of service.
I would go to the Ballymac for dinner (both dining room and bar lunch) perhaps once a month and have been to many weddings in it. However on recent visits (past year or so) I have found the food to be slipping, I suspect a move towards 'pre-prepared' vegtables and potatoes is to blame.
I had reason to complain on a recent visit (the first time I have ever had to in the Ballymac) and the Manager who was very polite did nt charge for the entire lunch for myself and partner which was a gesture you would expect in such circumstances. The hotel was extremely busy on the day in question but it took 25 minutes just to get someone’s attention, something which I found really frustrating and off-putting.
On another visit I had to wait 15 minutes (albeit during a busy Sunday) to have my table cleared of the previous guest’s plates and glasses, no apology for the delay was made. I have also noticed that the gents toilets are not clean (dirty toilets, mirrors, chipped tiles etc) something which you would expect from a 4 star hotel at the very least. The decor in the bar (sofas etc) are in dire need of a replacement. I feel sorry for the staff who are always friendly and polite but are under serious pressure and this I feel is at the crux of the problem, extra staff are needed to clear tables, serve and get your bill faster and ensure the place is kept clean. I won’t return to the Ballymac for the foreseeable future. I have recently stayed and eaten in Fota Island Hotel (5 Star) in Cork and the Shelbourne (5 star) in Dublin which in terms of food are comparable in terms of price but the difference in quality, service and the general standard of the hotels is stark. The Ballymac will always be a favourite of mine but won’t be recommending to someone until these issues are addressed. (On a side note I am aware of the implications of poor Tripadvisor reviews for hotels/restaurants and the potential impact for jobs etc however I feel it important to flag these issues, and feel that with more attention to detail and the customer that the Ballymac is somewhere I will be returning to again).

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ian C
Chris B, General Manager at Ballymascanlon House Hotel, responded to this review, 20 June 2012
Dear Ian C,
Thank you for taking the time to review our property and for the obvious concern you have for the Hotel as a long standing customer. I apologize to you for the 2 lapses in standards that you describe in your review. Can I assure you that we have not changed our systems in the preparation of Vegetables with our meals. Can I also ask you to contact me directly at the Hotel at (042)9358200 to discuss the matters you raise in your review. I wish to clarify whether you you had Bar meals in our Terrace Bar or whether you were dining in our main Dining Room. The Bar meal business has grown considerably since we introduced our new bar menus and we have had to address service difficulties in this area which was not originally designed for Food Sales. This is not an excuse for a bad service experience but will give some background to the problems you described. I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards
Chris Brayden

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
ireland
Reviewed 13 May 2012

We arrived for a wedding and putting aside the cost of drinks, the hotel requires overhaul in both service and facilities. With the location and potential this hotel has I suppose it reflects the state if the Irish economy. With the grey prison coloured room doors, the large patches of damp on the walls and ceiling and the tired cheap furniture there is hundreds of other four star hotels that reflect four star correctly. This isn't one of them.
Servicewise poor attitudes, being sent to an occupied room on arrival, no apology, and cold room service I can only hope if you decide to stay here your expectations are low so not to be disappointed.

• Stayed May 2012
3 Thank TheIrishTraveller
Reviewed 12 May 2012

Had a lovel few days in this hotel. Nice comfortable clean rooms + leisure centre / swimming pool. Well located for day trips + super wee pub called Fitzpatricks close by for lunch / dinner. Strongly recommend this hotel in all ways. The only small negative is that the pool hours for children is a little restrictive if away from hotel for the day.

Room Tip: We had a room at the back of the hotel which was nice & quiet.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Declan K
Athlone, Ireland
Reviewed 11 May 2012 via mobile

Lovely, old style hotel in a handsome setting. Tree lined avenue, lovely golf course, excellent landscape. Lovely airy rooms, most with small balconies. Staff courteous and friendly. Buffet breakfast with with a fine variety, and if there is something in particular you want, the staff are likely to get it from the kitchen for you. Lunch and dinner high quality with generous portions. Ideal location for relaxing and rambling, or use it as a base for visiting the lovely villages, coves and harbours within a short distance, north and south of the "border".
Festina Lente? Well that's the motto over the front door, and it so happens that it is excellent advice for this destination - make haste, but take it slowly!

Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank denis_cunnigham
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Stopped off here on the way from Belfast to Dublin for a meal in the bar and were very impressed. The food was truly excellent as agreed by all 5 of our group. The staff were friendly, attentive and efficient. This is the way to do it! We'll be back for a longer stay soon.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
west yorkshire
Reviewed 15 April 2012

We stayed for two nights whilst attending a wedding reception held at the hotel on the second night. On the first night we had a meal in the terrrace bar which was very good and very informal.
The staff were polite and helpful.Our room was large with a full lengh window looking out on to the grounds and tennis courts.For a large hotel we found it very relaxed with plenty of private space in the public areas.
The wedding reception on the second day was, well amazing with nothing too much for trouble for the staff,
The grounds are great for a walk in any weather just the ticket after a good breakfast,
I would return again if in Ireland in the future.

Room Tip: I dont think there could be any bad rooms here,
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank himandher22
Outer London
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Didn't stay here but visited to see the Dolmen which is in the grounds ~ a 10 minute walk across the golf course. Popped into reception to check that it was ok for me to go take a look .. was given directions & a very cheery welcome.. made me wish I had stayed!!! The dolmen is fabulous..

Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dundalk
Carrickdale Hotel
Cabra Castle Hotel
Cabra Castle Hotel
#1 of 2 in Kingscourt
Scholars Townhouse Hotel

Been to Ballymascanlon House Hotel? Share your experiences!