“Love this place!”

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Dundalk
dublin
“Love this place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Stayed here last August with my family. We were upgraded to a suite on account of having had our wedding in the hotel 2 years previously, so this was a nice surprise! The leisure centre was great and we used the pool/gym/sauna/steam room ad even the outdoor hot tub which was lovely. Had a beautiful room in the newer part of the hotel overlooking the clock tower. Lunch in the bar was delicious as per usual. Highly recommend the asian salad and apple tart from the bar. Lovely outdoor seating area if the weather prevails. We ate in the restaurant on the Saturday evening but I was a little disappointed with the food. It wasn't presented very well and wasn't the standard I had experienced at my wedding reception. It was perfectly edible but the choice on the menu was limited and I probably would choose to eat in the bar in future. Breakfast is the usual affair, continental and cooked breakfast buffet. I ordered poached eggs from the kitchen which unfortunately took ages and came out completely overcooked. Aside from this I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and wouldn't hesitate to go back. The staff are all wonderful. If anyone is considering the hotel as a wedding venue don't hesitate, it books up well in advance, due to it's wonderful and well deserved reputation.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank farrelsm
JeanineCarroll, Director of Sales at Ballymascanlon House Hotel, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on tripadvisor following your recent stay with us.

We are always delighted to hear that you have such fond regard for Ballymascanlon Hotel. I have advised the kitchen and Head Chef regarding your comments on the food during your dinner in the restaurant and regarding your overcooked eggs at Breakfast.

We do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Ballymascanlon Hotel in the near future.

Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed for 1 night over a busy weekend, it is a well presented hotel with nice rooms and bathrooms. It is a good location to drive to Belfast for shopping or a show.

The staff are helpful and the food in the restaurant was average

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul R
Dear Guest,

We look forward to welcoming you back to Ballymascanlon Hotel in the future.

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

I know this hotel well from having meetings there over several years but I recently stayed overnight for the first time. A nice place with great staff, but let down a bit by hygiene standards and a jaded decor. I imagine it would be great for a romantic rendezvous or escape from Belfast for the weekend.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Gugawn
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on tripadvisor.

I have brought your review to the attention of our housekeeper, thank you for that.

We look forward to seeing you again in the very near future.

Wexford, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

I have stayed here with my family for the Christmas holidays for the last number of years. The clientele at that time of the year ranges from babies to the elderly so the management and staff have a significant challenge keeping everyone happy. I think they have found the perfect recipe.

Given the time of year the hotel is always cosily warm. The accommodation is very comfortable, the meals of a high standard, the staff friendly and attentive and the facilities are comprehensive and high quality. Coming up to Christmas I always look forward to our trip there and am sorry to be leaving when we have to check out. Keep up the good work folks and I look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank IEWanderer
Dear Guest,

I was delighted to read your lovely review on your Christmas Experience with us here at Ballymascanlon Hotel. I am actually in the process of organising the Christmas Brochure for 2014 so once we have them we will be mailing them to all of our past Christmas Guests.

We look forward to hopefully welcoming you and your family back this December?

Lulea, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

Ballymanscanlon House Hotel is located 5-10min drive from Dundalk city centre. The hotel is set in beautiful parkland with mountains in the horizon. In connection to hotel is a 18 hole golf course.

I stayed on third floor in a double room with view over mountains. Room was equipped with king size bed, large desk and chair, two arm chairs with a small table and a 32 inches LCD TV. Light colors, paintings of flowers and animals, spotlights and lamps on both desk and bed side tables.

Bath room had shower cabin and bath tub. Blue tiles on the floor and lime stone tiles on the walls. Room was very well lit up by spotlights. Soap, shampoo, conditioner, moisturizer are available.

Room and bathroom are very well maintained and clean. If I should be picky I can comment on the armchairs and small round table that is not as classy as the rest. If I continue to be picky I find the TV not being well placed. It is wall mounted and can be turned but far from the bed (down side of large room). Beside these minor flaws I find the room to be very nice but it got very warm already in early June where I stayed on top floor.

Breakfast is served in the restaurant with a few cold options as cereals, milk and yoghurt. Though, at the table you are served toast and hot plate. Hot plate is according to choice with bacon, sausage, white and black pudding, beans, any type of egg, tomato and mushroom. I tried the full plate with all above and was not hungry until late at night. We tried to grab a late dinner in the pub and that was simple and well made and clearly above expectations.

Parts of exterior is like Downton Abbey and a 10min walk from hotel you find Proleek Portal Tomb. This is remaining from Neolithic period approx 3000BC.

Room Tip: Avoid top floor, it was very warm already in June and I can imagine how it is later during summer.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank JojjeIpoh
JeanineCarroll, Director of Sales at Ballymascanlon House Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on tripadvisor following your recent stay with us at Ballymascanlon Hotel. Feedback is very important to us and to receive such a comprehensive review is very welcome.

We are all delighted with your reference to Downton Abbey! thank you for that.

We hope we can welcome you back to Ballymascanlon Hotel in the very near future.

Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

Stayed for one night only. Very nice hotel staff very friendly. Had a lovely meal in the dining room which was very good. Sat in the hotel lounge for a quite drink and the only disappointing thing was the crap music. They would have been better off without it...

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DublinMiller
JeanineCarroll, Director of Sales at Ballymascanlon House Hotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on tripadvisor. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, except for the entertainment in the Bar on Saturday night.

I do hope that this will not deter you from returning to Ballymascanlon Hotel in the very near future.

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed here for one night, breakfast was great, super rooms spotlessly clean. We played the golf course with the pro/shop owner facilitating the hire of clubs and shoes, no trouble.
The staff were really friendly and could not do enough. We didn't try the spa but by all accounts this is also very good.

Room Tip: All rooms are good
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank baronredcar
JeanineCarroll, Director of Sales at Ballymascanlon House Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Guest,

We are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us, I will put up your review on the staff notice board and Gerry in the Pro Shop was very appreciative of your kind comments.

We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to Ballymac very soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dundalk
Carrickdale Hotel
Cabra Castle Hotel
Cabra Castle Hotel
#1 of 2 in Kingscourt
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,238 reviews

Been to Ballymascanlon House Hotel? Share your experiences!