“Ballymacscanlon House Hotel”

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Dundalk
Dublin
“Ballymacscanlon House Hotel”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Lovely hotel, beautiful grounds. well manicured, maintained and very tasteful. Lovely spacious room although no air conditioning and on one night there was a wedding in the hotel and the music was very loud so we could not open our window for air. When I phoned reception to ask how long the music would go on for the girl offered to find us another room. At 12 midnight I certainly didn't feel like packing up and moving so thought we would take our chances with the music. She was not at all apologetic. We ate in the hotel main dining room one night. A set menu at €42 each we thought a bit steep and no A La Carte option. Food was good. My overriding thought about the hotel would have to be the lack of friendliness,in 48 hours we didn't connect with one member of staff or have a bit of banter with anyone? Thought that a little strange . I asked at reception about a spare phone charger, nothing forthcoming at all? Just little things I suppose? I would go back as the hotel is very well located, only an hours drive from Dublin and in a nice part of the country.

Room Tip: Our room was beautiful, spacious, with a great view but there was a wedding in the hotel and he musi...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MMTMDublin
JeanineCarroll, Director of Sales at Ballymascanlon House Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on tripadvisor following your recent stay with us. We value all feedback be it negative or positive.

We appreciate your kind comments about the grounds, etc. We apologize that you were inconvenienced with the music from the wedding, this is not usually the case with our guests so thank you for bringing it to our attention. The weather has been exceptionally warm and only this week we have purchased more fans to be placed in guest bedrooms as required.

We are usually highly praised on the friendliness of our staff so this I would take very seriously and have already raised it with the managment team.

I very much hope we can welcoming you back to Ballymascanlon Hotel in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Started our holiday with a one night stop at The Ballymascanlon Hotel. A family gathering that included a round of golf on their well manicured but suitably testing course. Staff were friendly, hotel was really clean, rooms modern, food super. Welcoming Atmosphere Recommend it.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Gerry K
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on tripadvisor and for your very generous comments.

We hope you enjoyed the rest of your holiday and look forward to welcoming you back to Ballymascanlon Hotel again soon.
Longmont, Colorado
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Beautiful and QUIET location in Dundalk. We were visiting family, and this proved to be the best location for our trip. The rooms are large. We happened to be staying during an uncharacteristically warm Irish weekend. There is no air conditioning at this hotel, but they did provide a fan for the room. Beds seemed a bit older for such a nice hotel, but still comfortable. We took the walk to see the Proleek Dohlmen that is located on the property. We were amazed! The grounds are stunning, including the drive in, and the gardens. The only real negative was that the kettle in my room, used for making tea and coffee in the morning didn't look like it had been cleaned in awhile, so I didn't use it.
We would stay here again.

Room Tip: If it's warm, make sure to have a room on an upper floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Patti P
JeanineCarroll, Director of Sales at Ballymascanlon House Hotel, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on tripadvisor following your very recent stay with us.

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your time with us and that you enjoyed the beautiful gardens with the extra bonus of the proleek dolmen on the golf course.

I have spoken to our HouseKeeper regarding your comments regarding the in room kettle and she is going to organise a check of all the kettles in each room.

I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Ballymascanlon Hotel in the future.

Newry
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I recently made an appointment with the manager Oliver Quinn to show us around the wedding venue! The grounds and hotel outside looked amazing so I was excited at the prospect of having my wedding here! Unfortunately The manager spent all of 10 minutes showing us 2 rooms and advised he had till problems to sort out and we should come back at a more suitable time, as in next year when they are prepared to take bookings for 2017! So disappointed with this level of service and has put me off booking my wedding reception here! I also viewed other hotels, the carrickdale and four seasons went through everything in detail and make you feel at ease! I can safely say I will never be back here again!

Stayed July 2014
13 Thank Juliebaird
JeanineCarroll, Director of Sales at Ballymascanlon House Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
I would first of all like to apologize that you felt let down following your recent visit to Ballymascanlon Hotel.

As you know we have looked after many, many brides & grooms over the years and we strive to ensure that their wedding experience with us is unforgettable. This extends to their first meeting and showaround of the property right up to the wedding day itself.

I have discussed your review with the managers on duty that day and the hotel was extremely busy when you had your appointment. The management team were very stretched that day trying to finalize details on upcoming weddings and the fact that our tills failed on us during a very busy day only compounded the pressure on the team.

However we do understand that this is a very important time for you and that you were looking forward to discussing the possibility of having Ballymascanlon Hotel as your wedding venue and again we apologize that you felt let down.

We would be delighted if you would give us another opportunity to discuss your 2017 wedding plans with you and please do not hesitate to contact us if that is the case.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stopped off here for lunch staff were very friendly and food was beautiful at a reasonable price grounds are stunning as is hotel, we got a beautiful day so we could sit out in the gardens and enjoy the view

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Louisekeelin
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on tripadvisor.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your lunch with us at Ballymascanlon Hotel and were able to take advantage of the good weather to enjoy our gardens.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

dublin
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Stayed here last August with my family. We were upgraded to a suite on account of having had our wedding in the hotel 2 years previously, so this was a nice surprise! The leisure centre was great and we used the pool/gym/sauna/steam room ad even the outdoor hot tub which was lovely. Had a beautiful room in the newer part of the hotel overlooking the clock tower. Lunch in the bar was delicious as per usual. Highly recommend the asian salad and apple tart from the bar. Lovely outdoor seating area if the weather prevails. We ate in the restaurant on the Saturday evening but I was a little disappointed with the food. It wasn't presented very well and wasn't the standard I had experienced at my wedding reception. It was perfectly edible but the choice on the menu was limited and I probably would choose to eat in the bar in future. Breakfast is the usual affair, continental and cooked breakfast buffet. I ordered poached eggs from the kitchen which unfortunately took ages and came out completely overcooked. Aside from this I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and wouldn't hesitate to go back. The staff are all wonderful. If anyone is considering the hotel as a wedding venue don't hesitate, it books up well in advance, due to it's wonderful and well deserved reputation.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank farrelsm
Dear Guest,

We are always delighted to hear that you have such fond regard for Ballymascanlon Hotel. I have advised the kitchen and Head Chef regarding your comments on the food during your dinner in the restaurant and regarding your overcooked eggs at Breakfast.

We do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Ballymascanlon Hotel in the near future.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed for 1 night over a busy weekend, it is a well presented hotel with nice rooms and bathrooms. It is a good location to drive to Belfast for shopping or a show.

The staff are helpful and the food in the restaurant was average

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul R
Dear Guest,

We look forward to welcoming you back to Ballymascanlon Hotel in the future.

Kind regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dundalk
Carrickdale Hotel
Cabra Castle Hotel
Cabra Castle Hotel
#1 of 2 in Kingscourt
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,255 reviews

Been to Ballymascanlon House Hotel? Share your experiences!