“Another wonderful stay at the Ballymac!”

Ballymascanlon House Hotel
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Dundalk
Vienna, Virginia
“Another wonderful stay at the Ballymac!”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I was fortunate to have the opportunity to spend nine lovely days at the Ballymac three weeks ago. My family has made it a tradition to stay at the Ballymacwhen in Ireland because of the character and atmosphere of the old manor house, its beautiful grounds, and the exemplary service provided. Therefore, when my cousin and I planned a trip to Dundalk to visit relatives, there was no question surrounding where we’d stay. The Ballymac did not disappoint. The staff was as warm and welcoming as ever, with everyone going out of his or her way to make our stay as comfortable and pleasant as possible. Our rooms were spacious and comfortable (not to mention immaculate); the food and beverages in both the restaurant and bar were of the finest quality; and the leisure center is top notch. Clearly, the management of the Ballymac works hard to maintain its standards. It's a pleasure to simply hang out and enjoy the experience of being there.

When I next visit Ireland, I’ll be sure to again make the Ballymac my home away from home. Many thanks for a most memorable experience!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Linda_Manning2014
JeanineCarroll, Director of Sales at Ballymascanlon House Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind words in your recent review on tripadvisor.

We were delighted to welcome you back to stay with us and that you enjoyed your nice long break within the comforts of Ballymac!

I have posted your review on the staff notice board so that all the staff can read your review for themselves.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us in the not too distant future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Much as you would expect from a golf and leisure hotel with the added bonus of genuinely positive and friendly staff.
Would have scored excellent other than that the bedroom was too close to the events area where a succession of wedding parties made noise until early each morning of the stay..

Room Tip: Avoid being near the venue part of the building.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on tripadvisor.

We were disappointed to read that your stay was not a complete success due to being disturbed in the mornings, we do try to ensure that our various types of guests do not impact on each other.

I have raised your comments to the management team to strive to ensure this does not happen in future.

Dublin
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Stayed using a voucher which included a credit against one evening meal. Arrived to find this was only against the dining room menu not bar food. There is no A la Carte menu, it is one set menu at €42 per head. So using the voucher dinner is €32. In this day and age that should mean a top class meal it wasn't.
Starters...for partner, breaded Camembert. One piece. I think I've bought the same thing frozen from Lidl and I'm not joking. Mine was a trio of fresh salmon, smoked salmon and smoked mackerel. Shockingly bad, I'm sure it's supermarket bought, kept in the fridge, and sliced to go on top of a (passable) salad. I wouldn't serve it at home. Sloppy,hard cold fish, not recently cooked / smoked I fear.
Mains next, and my heart was in my boots. It stayed there. Partners steak,medium cooked, was 'chewy'. He didn't finish and he loves steak. My duckling (wasn't asked how I wanted it) wasn't very well done, large white fatty pieces under the skin. Thinking about it makes me shudder. I love duck but are very little. Thank god thru gave us mashed potatoes. One member of the party had the veg option with walnut and cheese filled ravioli. At first bite he hit walnut she'll. oh dear.
My dessert profiteroles consisted of two profiteroles. A bit mean on their little plate.
Service was really pleasant, waitresses are are thieves of this hotel. But the food is rubbish, and at €42 a head, very expensive rubbish. You don't see food this bad often in Ireland nowadays. Hope the chef was off sick and it's not always the same.
So, nice hotel but pass on the food. If you get money off voucher, dump it. It's a false economy.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank smallfootstep
JeanineCarroll, Director of Sales at Ballymascanlon House Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us.

As I frequently mention, we do appreciate our guests feedback as it gives us a clear indication of where things are working and particularly when they are not working.

We would like to apologize that you did not enjoy your dining experience with us, indeed our Head Chef was not working that particular night but that should not impact on the quality of the food. He has taken on board your comments and will be addressing any concerns with the rest of the kitchen team.

I am sorry you did not bring this to our attention before checking out so that we could have discussed with you personally as our aim is for all guests to leave the hotel with a positive impression.

I sincerely hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again to Ballymascanlon Hotel.

Dublin
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Lovely hotel, beautiful grounds. well manicured, maintained and very tasteful. Lovely spacious room although no air conditioning and on one night there was a wedding in the hotel and the music was very loud so we could not open our window for air. When I phoned reception to ask how long the music would go on for the girl offered to find us another room. At 12 midnight I certainly didn't feel like packing up and moving so thought we would take our chances with the music. She was not at all apologetic. We ate in the hotel main dining room one night. A set menu at €42 each we thought a bit steep and no A La Carte option. Food was good. My overriding thought about the hotel would have to be the lack of friendliness,in 48 hours we didn't connect with one member of staff or have a bit of banter with anyone? Thought that a little strange . I asked at reception about a spare phone charger, nothing forthcoming at all? Just little things I suppose? I would go back as the hotel is very well located, only an hours drive from Dublin and in a nice part of the country.

Room Tip: Our room was beautiful, spacious, with a great view but there was a wedding in the hotel and he musi...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MMTMDublin
JeanineCarroll, Director of Sales at Ballymascanlon House Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on tripadvisor following your recent stay with us. We value all feedback be it negative or positive.

We appreciate your kind comments about the grounds, etc. We apologize that you were inconvenienced with the music from the wedding, this is not usually the case with our guests so thank you for bringing it to our attention. The weather has been exceptionally warm and only this week we have purchased more fans to be placed in guest bedrooms as required.

We are usually highly praised on the friendliness of our staff so this I would take very seriously and have already raised it with the managment team.

I very much hope we can welcoming you back to Ballymascanlon Hotel in the near future.
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Started our holiday with a one night stop at The Ballymascanlon Hotel. A family gathering that included a round of golf on their well manicured but suitably testing course. Staff were friendly, hotel was really clean, rooms modern, food super. Welcoming Atmosphere Recommend it.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Gerry K
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on tripadvisor and for your very generous comments.

We hope you enjoyed the rest of your holiday and look forward to welcoming you back to Ballymascanlon Hotel again soon.
Longmont, Colorado
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Beautiful and QUIET location in Dundalk. We were visiting family, and this proved to be the best location for our trip. The rooms are large. We happened to be staying during an uncharacteristically warm Irish weekend. There is no air conditioning at this hotel, but they did provide a fan for the room. Beds seemed a bit older for such a nice hotel, but still comfortable. We took the walk to see the Proleek Dohlmen that is located on the property. We were amazed! The grounds are stunning, including the drive in, and the gardens. The only real negative was that the kettle in my room, used for making tea and coffee in the morning didn't look like it had been cleaned in awhile, so I didn't use it.
We would stay here again.

Room Tip: If it's warm, make sure to have a room on an upper floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Patti P
JeanineCarroll, Director of Sales at Ballymascanlon House Hotel, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on tripadvisor following your very recent stay with us.

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your time with us and that you enjoyed the beautiful gardens with the extra bonus of the proleek dolmen on the golf course.

I have spoken to our HouseKeeper regarding your comments regarding the in room kettle and she is going to organise a check of all the kettles in each room.

I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Ballymascanlon Hotel in the future.

Newry
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I recently made an appointment with the manager Oliver Quinn to show us around the wedding venue! The grounds and hotel outside looked amazing so I was excited at the prospect of having my wedding here! Unfortunately The manager spent all of 10 minutes showing us 2 rooms and advised he had till problems to sort out and we should come back at a more suitable time, as in next year when they are prepared to take bookings for 2017! So disappointed with this level of service and has put me off booking my wedding reception here! I also viewed other hotels, the carrickdale and four seasons went through everything in detail and make you feel at ease! I can safely say I will never be back here again!

Stayed July 2014
13 Thank Juliebaird
JeanineCarroll, Director of Sales at Ballymascanlon House Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
I would first of all like to apologize that you felt let down following your recent visit to Ballymascanlon Hotel.

As you know we have looked after many, many brides & grooms over the years and we strive to ensure that their wedding experience with us is unforgettable. This extends to their first meeting and showaround of the property right up to the wedding day itself.

I have discussed your review with the managers on duty that day and the hotel was extremely busy when you had your appointment. The management team were very stretched that day trying to finalize details on upcoming weddings and the fact that our tills failed on us during a very busy day only compounded the pressure on the team.

However we do understand that this is a very important time for you and that you were looking forward to discussing the possibility of having Ballymascanlon Hotel as your wedding venue and again we apologize that you felt let down.

We would be delighted if you would give us another opportunity to discuss your 2017 wedding plans with you and please do not hesitate to contact us if that is the case.

Kind regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dundalk
Carrickdale Hotel
Canal Court Hotel & Spa
Cabra Castle Hotel
Cabra Castle Hotel
#1 of 2 in Kingscourt

Been to Ballymascanlon House Hotel? Share your experiences!