“Great Hotel, Great Staff... Amazing Food”
Review of Carrickdale Hotel

Carrickdale Hotel
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Dundalk
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Recently satyed here with my wife and 2 friends of ours. The staff were very friendly and extremely helpful, from check in to the bar staff, cleaning staff and restaurant staff. The rooms are clean, and well maintained, although the view from the rooms at the back of the Hotel is terrible. There was a comedy show on the saturday night that we were there so there wasnt an option to move rooms as it was fully booked. The only fault with the rooms was the pillows. It was like sleeping on sandbags.
The food was fantastic. We all had bar food on the Friday when we arrived, it was delicious. The breakfast offered a great selection of items from fresh fruit, cereal, yogurt and pastries to a full cooked breakfast. The dinner in the retaurant on the Saturday night was pure class. Everything was cooked to perfection. I am not a foodie, but I know what Ilike and how it should taste.
I would highly recommend a stay here.

Room Tip: Get one at the front, the view is much better.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

lovely and very friendly staff,warm and cosy room with very good room service.the food was very good and there is plenty off safe parking for your car,the pool was lovely also. the hotel has a nice garden area and the music and bar was both friendly and entertaining,great weekend was had by all and we shall return soon.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
MarketingCdale, Marketing at Carrickdale Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Thank you for your wonderful comments. Our staff are an excellent asset to the hotel and delighted you found them friendly and helpful. There is plenty of car parking at the hotel which is free to customers and the facilities including pool and garden are some of the many highlights at the hotel. The bar on a Saturday night is generally very busy with a great atmosphere and we will look forward to you returning for another enjoyable stay.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

I stayed here one night whilst commuting from Scotland to Ireland. The room was spacious and well equipped. The bar food and restaurant food are both very good and served in generous portions. The sports facilities are excellent and the tariff was keenly priced.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay – Our rooms are ideal for our corporate clients with free wifi in most of our rooms and excellent car parking facilities which are free also. Our rates are very competitive and great value for money with access to our fantastic leisure facilities included. I am delighted you experienced both our bar and restaurant food and you found consistency of both quality and portion size in both dining areas. We welcome you back to the Carrickdale Hotel &Spa during your next commute!

Reviewed 25 February 2014

Had a really great weekend there. The food was excellent and the staff were very friendly. The area was fantastic, loads of scenic places to go. Location is very handy from Dublin, 1 hour drive on great road. The rooms where great and lovely garden on the far side of the road. The pool was lovely. All and all a great weekend.

Room Tip: Was very busy at the weekend, make sure you get a room at the very end away from elevator on 4th fl...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

The Carrickdale Hotel is ideal for anyone looking for scenic places to go as we are minutes away from the beautiful Cooley Peninsula and Slieve Gullion is about 10 minute’s drive from the hotel. I am glad you appreciated our beautiful landscaped gardens, leisure facilities and accommodation and delighted you enjoyed your weekend.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

I stayed here with my three sisters. We got a good deal for dinner, bed and breakfast. Our rooms were huge, clean and very comfortable. Our dinner was from a set menu but we could have the value deducted from the a la carte menu too if we had of preferred. We all thought it was delicious, the restaurant was full but the service was still excellent. There was good lively music in the bar that night and as the hotel was fully booked there was plenty of people about and it had a nice atmosphere. The staff in all areas were all genuinely really friendly and willing to help. We had use of the pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi which we made use off. We had it all to ourselves first thing on Sunday morning. Would recommend this hotel and will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Our overnight dinner, bed and breakfast package is an excellent offer at great value - It is wonderful to hear that you received the high standards of both service and food that are expected at all times in the hotel. We do have live entertainment every Saturday night in our Dale’s Lounge which generates a great atmosphere in the bar. I am delighted you made use of our excellent leisure facilities including the pool, sauna and Jacuzzi – a great way to finish your weekend break!

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Stayed there February 22 to 24, 2014, staff were lovely, particularly Miriam and Annmarie, room was clean, large and comfy, food very good. Was awaken in the small hours of Sunday by a very noisy Football team who were also staying in the hotel , by way of making it up to us at dinner that night we weren't charged for our drinks or desserts, a nice gesture. I had two treatments with Annmarie in the Spa on Sunday, she was fantastic. I was so relaxed ,but the Spa closed at 5.30 so i went to the swimming pool unfortunatly it was full of noisy kids jumping in and out of the pool, (my previous swim had been quite) perhaps the Spa could stay open a bit longer on a Sunday or else kids' time could finish a bit earlier, just a suggestion. However all in all my fiance and I had a lovely weekend, we would go back and we would recommend this hotel...

Room Tip: check the kids swimming times can be very noisy
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and will pass your lovely comments on to Miriam and Annmarie who will be pleased! I apologise about the football team – we have spoken with the football team management and I can assure you that they have dealt with the noise issues. Our spa is an excellent asset to the hotel and I am glad you made use of the excellent facilities – I am delighted you and your fiancé will return to the hotel and will look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

my wife and I were coming back from Wicklow to Tyrone on sun 10 feb decided to call for something to eat at hotel . receptionist said only thing available was the carvery .she said to follow arrows but when you went through first set of doors arrows ended we tried 2 sets of doors both locked kept walking finally found carvery . we both had turkey and ham dinners 2 chefs serving 1 the meats who was very pleasant 2nd chef who just slapped the potatoes & veg unto plates he obviously was having a bad day my wife wanted a shiras but I had to make my way to the bar and get it myself waiters only cleaning up and chatting , started to eat dinner my goodness poisioned in salt my wife said to complain but I told her I just will not comeback nor recommend carvery there to anyone ;iv,e had carverys in many places but this one was the worst by far' the hotel looks fab and probably is but I would never stop there again

2  Thank Tommy M

I am disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your Carvery Lunch at the hotel. Our restaurant is also available on a Sunday but it would have depended on what time you were at the hotel (Our Carrick Restaurant has two lunch sittings - 12.30 and 2pm and then re-opens at 5.30pm – 9.30pm). In relation to the signage, I do apologise if you were not able to locate the room easily – There is normally arrows at both doors, clearly indicating where our Lacey’s Suite is, and I apologise if this was not done on the day you were here. I will ensure that more signage is arranged to make this easier to locate the room.

I am displeased that you had to make your way over to the bar to arrange a drink for your wife, particularly as there is waiting staff available to ensure bar orders can be taken at tables. I have spoken with the staff on duty to ensure that this is rectified for future guests. I am however more concerned at your comments regarding the quality of dinner you received as we take pride in serving the highest quality food at the hotel. I have spoken with our head chef and although salt is present in some of our dishes – it certainly should not be “poisoned” in salt as you have stated. Our chef has assured me that they do put a limited amount of salt in these dishes but again he will ensure that salt in the dishes will be kept to a minimum.

Thank you for your lovely comments about the appearance about the hotel, however I am sincerely disappointed that one visit would prevent you re-visiting the Carrickdale Hotel & Spa as we are renowned for excellent food and service. Please contact me directly if you wish to discuss this further – My email address is orlahayes@carrickdale.com or you can contact me on 0429380900.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dundalk
6 mi away
#1 of 2 in Carlingford
Cabra Castle Hotel
Cabra Castle Hotel
#1 of 2 in Kingscourt

Been to Carrickdale Hotel? Share your experiences!