“Fantastic value and very very romantic”
Review of Carrickdale Hotel

Carrickdale Hotel
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Dundalk
Reviewed 18 August 2014

This hotel is one of our favourites. We stay in this hotel at any chance given. This hotel is kid friendly and also very romantic so for couples looking a romantic break, get the Deluxe suite with the Jacuzzi. We never left the room on many stays. Food is exceptional and the staff are friendly. Room service is gorgeous and the breakfast in bed is divine. Highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Get the room with the Jacuzzi, plenty of red wine, romance and happy days.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
OrlaHayes1, Marketing at Carrickdale Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay at the hotel – Our hotel is very child friendly however I am glad to hear you found it romantic as well and is perfect for a short break. The staff and food are very consistent in the hotel and I am delighted you enjoyed all your meals including our room service breakfast. We will look forward to welcoming you to the hotel soon.

There are newer reviews for Carrickdale Hotel

Reviewed 17 August 2014

I have stayed here on a number of occasions as the hotel is easy to reach and very good value with excellent quality.
This time I had my 13 year old son with me and thought he may be bored but nothing of it, he discovered the hotel gardens and leisure facilities that I had never bothered with.
The facilities for this hotel are excellent at a price you would normally expect from a budget chain of 'travel' hotels.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to posting your review. It is very difficult to keep any 13 year old occupied so I am delighted we achieved this! Our leisure facilities are superb and well-kept and we are glad you experienced new areas of the hotel that you did not experience before.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

My husband and I have stayed here a couple of times and decided to bring the kids this time for some family time away, the hotel staff were lovely and extremely helpful, the food was beautiful and there is plenty of wee things to do, my only complaint would be the ignorant lout who works in the pool with the fair wavy hair who was ignorant, as my 2 daughters aged 15 and 8 was in the pool and myself having been in the pool most of the day with them, got out, got dressed and sat outside as it was extremely hot that weekend and keeping in mind that my husband was there also told us that we had to come in and sit at the pool or to get out, so very upset I went outside to tell my husband what was said, so when my husband went in to see what the problem was this lout appeared out of nowhere with a stupid big smirk on his face and locked the gate between the garden and the pool so I couldn't get in and my husband couldn't get out! I couldn't approach a member of staff as I was in such a state as to why we were treated like that and couldn't wait to leave, The pool staff which was there the day before didn't seem have a problem with me being in the spa outside when my kids were in the pool and I could see them, I think if you are paying wages for pool staff then hire someone who has manners and is helpful other than a lout who likes to hear himself talk and act like a complete and utter p...k!!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Allene H

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip advisor. I am glad you found our hotel staff extremely helpful and enjoyed the quality of our food, however I am very concerned about your comments regarding our pool staff. I have contacted our leisure centre manager who has carried out a full investigation on this incident. Firstly, I would like to point out the gate is normally always locked, however that week workmen had this gate opened as they had been using it to complete work in our spa area, and so when the staff member realised that the gate was opened, he did go out to lock it – not to lock your husband out, but to lock it as this is normally the case.

The staff member has explained that his sole concern for was for the safety of the children – Our policy is that all under 16 must be accompanied by an adult in the complex at all times and under 12 must be accompanied in the pool area at all times for health and safety reasons. He explained that when both parents were in the pool, there was no issue. When you went to change, there was no issue as your husband was still in the pool area at this point. It was only when he noticed that both of you had left the pool area and your husband was in the gardens having a drink whilst the children were unsupervised, he grew concerned.

The employee is very saddened to be both called a p…k and lout by any guest as in his mind he was ensuring the safety of the children on his shift and he has apologised if you thought in any way he was being patronising or arrogant.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

I booked this hotel on impulse and was instantly impressed by the friendliness and efficiency of the receptionist who took my call. The hotel is situated mid-way between Newry and Dundalk. It is an ideal location, especially as it enables relative ease of access to places such as Carlingford, Warrenpoint and Kilkeel. The view from the front of the hotel is stunning, as are the gardens. Our room was spacious, modern and exceedingly clean. The staff are extremely welcoming, helpful and professional; while the food served is of a very high standard. The Leisure Centre (although we didn't quite get around to frequenting it) appears to be more than adequate. This was a really good hotel experience and I would certainly hope to return to the Carrickdale in the not too distant future. I cannot fault it in any way.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

I am delighted to read that your impressions of the hotel began at the time of reservation and delighted to hear the receptionist was both friendly and efficient. Our location is perfect for travelling the local area such as Carlingford, Warrenpoint and Kilkeel. Again, I am pleased to hear you found our rooms exceedingly clean – our housekeeping department will delighted with this! It is lovely to read that your stay was faultless and will look forward to welcoming you back any time.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

We are a family of 5 with my youngest aged just 11 months. We stayed at this hotel for 5 days last week (August 2014). We all loved it.
The reception team were efficient, friendly and helpful.
Our room was huge. Excellent for a family. I would have liked a big chest of drawers next to the large wardrobe but I see this as a minor flaw. Tea facilities were very generous, much better than we are used to in England. House keeping staff were excellent always came back to a clean and tidy room.
We used both the bar and restaurant for food. Both produced great food and made our children feel very welcome. Staff in the bar and restaurant were very professional and are a credit to the hotel.
We used the swimming pool on several occasions. The children loved it. You have to hire a swimming cap so suggest you take your own. Towels are free to hotel guests. Changing room was big and baby friendly.
We played mini golf which the kids enjoyed but I could see how poor the course was, even if it was free. I was surprised at what poor condition it was in because the surrounding garden was lovely. There were quite a few holes in the course and some of the hole/tunnels were blocked up with mud and leaves. The course most definitely needs some tlc.
If we are in Ireland again we will happily stay here and recommend it to other families.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Zoe W

Thank you for your lovely review and delighted your entire family enjoyed their stay. The swimming pool and playground are fantastic for the children and definitely keeps them busy! I am again delighted to read your satisfaction with both the staff and service you received in both our bar and restaurant and will pass this onto our staff who will be delighted. In relation to the crazy golf, I will certainly pass this onto our leisure manager to make him aware above some of the holes being blocked, however generally I am delighted you would happily recommend the hotel to other families and welcome you back to the hotel any time.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Beautifully situated mid-way between Newry and Dundalk with a rural view. We had booked here initially due to the very reasonable price, and for a girly chill out. The hotel was excellent - quiet, clean, tastefully decorated rooms, very comfortable beds (we all agreed on this!)
We were only here unfortunately for one night - so didnt get to use the swiming pool or spa facilities.
There was a bar menu - (good choices and reasonable price) but we decided to use the restuarant - again the menu choices were good - with vegetarian also being catered for. We were well looked after by the helpful staff.
We all agreed that we would be returning soon to the Carrickdale.........

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Another great review! Thank you so much for your lovely comments – We are located half way between Dundalk and Newry and although not based in either town, there is plenty to see and do around the hotel including our swimming pool and spa facilities – Our prices are very reasonable in both the bar and restaurant and delighted you enjoyed the menu choice. We do offer 2 and 3 night packages so you will just have to stay longer next time!

Reviewed 7 August 2014

The carrickdale is an old fashioned hotel in a good way the rooms are spacious the common areas are comfortable the food is good the garden is beautiful and the pool is clean and pleasant The staff really set the place apart they are excellent everyone you meet there does their best to assist you and all staff greet you when they meet you Excellent for a relaxing break

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel are quieter
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

I am glad you appreciate the charm of the Carrickdale Hotel & Spa and delighted you enjoyed a comfortable stay – Our gardens are a beautiful asset and has even been made more charming by the opening of our Garden Bar & Barbeque area at the weekends during the summer period. The staff are an excellent asset to the hotel and definitely set the place apart from anywhere else. Thank you for taking the time to forward your feedback to us and welcome you back to the hotel anytime.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dundalk
Crowne Plaza Hotel Dundalk
Four Seasons Hotel
Four Seasons Hotel
#1 of 2 in Carlingford
Mourne Country Hotel

Been to Carrickdale Hotel? Share your experiences!