“We didn't actually get to stay here!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Dundalk

Crowne Plaza Hotel Dundalk
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Dundalk
Dublin, Ireland
“We didn't actually get to stay here!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2011

This is a strange review because myself and my husband didn't actually get to stay in this hotel.
Friends of ours treated us to 1 nights B&B here. As they booked over the phone they didn't actually get a physical voucher, instead they were sent a confirmation email and given a reference number. They were told that we should quote this number along with a particular managers name when we decided to stay.
Months later we decided to contact the hotel and arrange to stay but the hotel couldn't find any record of the voucher or that reference number and asked us to forward them the confirmation email that they had sent to our friends. We asked our friends for the email, but they couldn't find it but assured us that the hotel said that they would have a record of the booking.
We again contacted thye hotel but they told us they had no record so we could not use the voucher. After some time our friend actually found the email and sent it on to us. We forwarded the email to the hotel, but they said that it was too late and the 'voucher had expired'. We explained that we had tried to book previously but that they couldn't find the record (reference number - which did prove correct). But they again told us that it was too late. There are a number of issues here - firstly in Irealnd there is little protection for consumers in relation to vouchers. Therefore businesses can use expiry dates and all type of terms and conditions to avoid honouring their vouchers. However I would point out that our voucher was digital - confirmation email and reference number, and no expiry date was not included. Not to mention that the hotel should have had the record of the booking themselves when we tried to book after 9 months (if the expiry was 12 months). At the end of the day - the hotel took money from our friends, had no reference of the booking, put the onus on us to prove that we had received an email and that the refernce no. was correct and even when we managed to do this they told us that the voucher had expired. They took our friends 'Money for nothing'. Awful.

Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Brightskys
CrownePlazaDundalk, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Dundalk, responded to this review, 10 June 2011
Dear Madam
I am disappointed to see that you were unable make your reservation. I would be grateful if you could contact me directly at the hotel so that we can attempt to rectify the situation.

Yours sincerely
Niamh Murphy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2011

Great for work, fantastic facilities, excellent rOoms, but forget this place for a romantic or family break. The refuse to serve from the bar unti 12.00, nit good for the morning after a wedding.

• Stayed June 2011
Solihull
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2011

We took my parents here for 3 nights end April to visit family and stayed here as read their facilities on wheelchair access in hotel & rooms.
My mum shattered her femur last summer, aged 84, & after being in hospital for 4 months is in a wheelchair.
On arrival at hotel, after travelling from uk by ferry for 9 hours, we arrived at 1:30pm - our rooms were not ready so we waited patiently. Even though check in was advised to be 2pm we didn't get our keys till 3:45pm - although apologies given by the friendly staff, no offer of tea was made (which we could have made if in room).
Our rooms were on 6th floor which for a wheelchair user I thought was strange - thinking of emergency escape!
The rooms were lovely with huge windows and fab disabled shower room but the fun began when I was helping my mum to bed - the beds are way too high!!! My husband & I had to lift my mum into bed. Again a nightmare when mum needed loo in night & would have to call me in my room.
we asked reception if any lower beds - told no. Asked if any steps or anything and they did look round hotel & were helpful but no step to help.
Worse thing was to find out that they knew beds were too high and a problem for wheelchair users and lower beds were on order as had received complaints before!! Shockingly we were told the hotel had been open 5 years!
They should then know that upon receipt of a booking stating wheelchair access room (as we had done) they should have told us.
Sadly this did impact on our holiday whilst at this hotel - luckily it was only 3 nights out of our 2wk hol.

• Stayed April 2011
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to give us some vakued feedback on your recent stay.
Firstly, I apologise that you had to wait for your rooms on checkin and that no refreshments were offered to you. This should have been the case and I am sure would have been welcomed after a long journey.

With regards to the beds in the accessible rooms, we do in fact have some beds that are lower and would have been more appropriate. I am extremely sorry that your were not allocated these rooms which had an negative impact on your stay.

We do continuously strive to improve on the service we provide our guests. It is through feedback such as yours that helps us do this.

If you are returning to the Dundalk area anytime in the future, I do hope that you will chose the Crowne Plaza so that we offer you the service which you should have received.
Please contact me directly if you are indeed returning.

Yours sincerely

Groomsport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2011

We only stayed one night, courtesy of a `Groupon' voucher..but what a good choice. We stay in many hotels and this rates very highly. A welcoming smile, and efficient check-in. A sizeable room, with all modern facilities, and a great sized bed (similar to Premier Inn). Breakfast was included, and there was a good selection of hot and cold buffet in a pleasant room (on the top floor). We ate in the bar and the food was wholesome and well presented as well as being reasonably priced....couldn't fault it.

The hotel itself was easy to find, ideally placed for touring the area, plenty of fre car parking and wifi available on the ground floor..

We will stay again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2011

I stayed in this hotel while attending a wedding in the area, Before booking a room I enquired if there was a residents bar in the hotel and if so would we be able to make use of this when we returned from the wedding that evening I was assured we could. To make a very long story short when we returned that evening we went to go to the residents bar and were told it was closed which is fair enough, but the ignorance and rudeness that we encountered at the front desk was a disgrace, I constantly stay in hotels all week with work as I am always on the road and I have never in my life seen or heard anything like this. I complained afterwards using the facility on the website and got a response from the head office and was then followed by a mail from the general manager of the hotel who was very helpful but could only tell me that it would never happen again and that seemed to be the end of the matter which doesn't really help me or make up for the bad experience which I had. If you want my advice stay in the hotel across the road called the fairways hotel as it is half the price and according to the rest of our party who stayed there the staff in there will go out of there way to ensure you have a great stay as opposed to ruining what could have been a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Book a room in the hotel across the road!!!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank judgey123456
Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2011

I think they must be writing the reviews themselves. Very average hotel. Restaurant had no atmosphere, service was slow, food was forgettable. I won't be back.

• Stayed April 2011
2 Thank SolusIreland
CrownePlazaDundalk, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Dundalk, responded to this review, 9 May 2011
Dear Guest
I am sorry that you had a disappointing visit and that your stay did not meet your expectations. Please be assured that we have not posted our own comments on Tripadvisor or on any sites. We appreciate and welcome all feedback
In an effort to improve, I would be grateful if you could forward me any details of your visit. My direct email address is nmurphy@crowneplazadundalk.ie.

Yours sincerley

Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2011

Very nice modern hotel, with roof-top restaurant with great views. My only problem with this hotel is the location. You have to have a car, there is nowhere you can walk to. Oriel Park (where Dundalk FC play) is about 20 minutes away and the ground is one of the few League of Ireland grounds that I have been to which is signposted. If going to a game again, I would stay in town and sample some of the pubs. Great location if you are on a Fly Drive package or going to the horse racing

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dundalk
Ramada Resort Dundalk
The d Hotel Drogheda
The d Hotel Drogheda
#2 of 5 in Drogheda
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,123 reviews

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Dundalk? Share your experiences!