“Much improved.”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Dundalk
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Dundalk
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Since some of our previous stay was marred by a room cleaning error, they owed us a discount on our next visit. It was exactly a year ago since our last visit and we only had an overnight stay that time, on our way up to the Antrim coast. This time we wanted to have a two night stay, for a bit of r&r to ourselves.
We had a junior suite on the twelfth floor which had fantastic views over the mountains of Mourne and Blackrock bay, and we could also see some of Dundalk town. The room was very spacious with a luxurious bathroom, a lounge area, and the most comfortable bed I had been on in a hotel for ages. When we got to look at the bed, we noticed they had left a sleep help pack on it, which contained a scented spray for the pillows, and a roll on that you put on your wrists and temples, a nice touch that does actually help you to sleep well. In my opinion, the room was quite dusty, especially around the mirrors and light shades, could do with some slight improvements in that area. The staff were excellent, especially Amanda, who was very compassionate to my wife, and who arranged the whole stay. We ocasion to call a manager to the room to fix the sound on our tv, an eastern European guy whose name evades me at the moment. He was extremely helpful and an all round nice chap.
One of the nights we had a meal included in our package, which we could choose from the a la carte, and pay the surplus on items that were not included. I chose a chicke dish which was marinated in honey and tarragon, and served in a filo pastry type basket. Sounded lovely in writing, but just did not look great when it arrived. We both opted for the fillet steak, which was ten euro extra, and decided to forgoe the veg, which sounded like what I call, "Lazy chef veg". Carrot batons, broccoli and something else.
The breakfast was very good, and was the usual buffet style, and had a great selection available. They also had a chef behind the buffet counter doing the eggs to order, which was a nice touch.
The view from the dining room, which is on the thirteenth floor, is also very spectacular. I am sure I will be back at some stage to the hotel, but I wont be actually waiting with baited breath to do it.

Room Tip: Go for the higher floors, ask specifically for non smoking, although the smell of smoke seems to com...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 August 2014

When I booked this hotel I clearly stated that the booking was for 2 adults and 3 children. The rate we were given was for 3 nights b & b & 1 eve meal. When we went to the bar/restaurant for our eve meal we were not allowed to choose from the A La Carte Menu, it was only a small bar menu that we could use. It didn't have any dinners on it only bangers & mash, chicken strips & chips etc. They then told us we would have to pay for 1 of our children's meal as it was standard policy to give a rate for 2 adults and 2 children. When we explained about the package we were given they said that would allow each child a main course each. We explained again about the package and they eventually told us all the children could eat free. At the end of the meal they sent a different waitress to the table and we were give a bill for the adult dinners only. They tried their best to get us to sign for our dinner bill. As you can imagine we were not impressed. It was all very unorganised and very annoying. The restaurant in the hotel did not open sun - thurs, so our only option was to eat in the bar. It is not that big so we found it very hard to get seating. We were also got dirty glasses for our dinner, chipped cups for breakfast. Obviously the bedrooms were not cleaned properly as we found a set of smelly socks in the bedroom.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Leit0101
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Dundalk, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2014

Dear Leit0101,

Thank you for your recent stay and for leaving us a feedback. Providing excellent customer service is one of the things we pride ourselves in and we are sorry to read that in this case you feel we have fallen short of your expectations. Our apologies for the shortcomings regarding the food selection and room cleanliness. Please know that this experience is not reflective of our daily high standards.

I can assure you that your feedback will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Tracy V.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 22 August 2014

Booked the crown plaza as it was on the outskirts of Dundalk . The restaurant on the 15 floor gives a beautiful view of Dundalk at night . Food in the Restaurant was good and reasonable priced. Staff very friendly so will be back

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

Lovely hotel to stay at. Very clean and comfortable. Huge bed which I slept like a baby on. (Could have done with extra pillow but that's a minor) Great view of the ocean. Extra toiletries provided complimentary if needed. My favourite part was the breakfast, which is served on the top floor and the views are even better up there, absolutely faultless as far as I'm concerned. There is so much variety to choose from, full Irish (inc. mushrooms, hash browns etc...), eggs cooked to your liking, even omelette if you want it. Cereals, fresh juices, pastries, toast, fresh fruit, continental breakfast. Oh I could go on and on. Put it this way it filled myself and my family for the day. Very happy customers (:

Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 18 August 2014

This was the best hotel we have stayed in while travelling in Ireland. The staff we not only very efficient but their customer service was the best I have ever seen. They made me and my family feel as the most important guests they had staying. The breakfast was divine the best of 4 hotels we had stayed in on our holidays. Room was spacious and air con great.If you haven't stay here yet please do so as your in for a treat,

Room Tip: Sea view room
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I recently organised my sisters hen party at the Crowne Plaza. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone. The staff, food, hotel itself were amazing from start to finish. Christine and Amanda (front office supervisors) were so helpful during the months coming up to the hen. All of the hens commented on the great value stay and the food we had for dinner. The hotel was very busy all weekend but the care and attention we received was not affected by this. The rooms were lovely, clean and spacious and the suite, which we had for my sister was definitely worth the extra few bob! What an amazing view from the 12th floor! I will definitely be back!!

Room Tip: The higher you go the better (for the views) but then it takes longer in the lift!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Attending a near by Wedding so we stayed overnight ,the staff were very helpfull and effecient they organised transport for a crowd of us so no one had to drive all the staff were very good night staff and the breakfast team they were all wonderfull. the bedrooms were spacious and very comfortable beds and good size bathrooms with all your requirements met. Will certainly use this hotel again. the Crowne plaza chain of hotels are very good we have enjoyed our stay in a few off them. Well worth a visit.

Room Tip: Room 602 very convenient and a clear view
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dundalk
Ramada Resort Dundalk
Imperial Hotel Dundalk
Imperial Hotel Dundalk
#7 of 8 in Dundalk
Canal Court Hotel & Spa

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Dundalk? Share your experiences!