“A large hotel but still with good service”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Dundalk
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Dundalk
Wiltshire
“A large hotel but still with good service”
Reviewed 31 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel for two nights for a wedding in the area. The reception and restaurant staff were very helpful. The rooms were spacious and clean and the bathroom modern with a shower and bath. We ate in the restaurant and had a lovey meal and would recommend having an evening meal there.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Skerries, Ireland
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We stayed in the Crowne Plaza Hotel, Dundalk while attending a wedding in Castle Bellingham. We found the hotel to be like any commercial hotel, very adequate, but big and impersonal.
Breakfast on weekdays finished at 10am sharp! Which suits the hotel rather than the guests.

I have no complaints about the hotel, but it is an impersonal, commercial hotel. I would stay again under the same circumstances.

Dundalk, Ireland
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I recently held my wedding in the Crowne Plaza Dundalk, and I cannot praise them enough for everything they did for us!
I will start by saying that all of my dealings up until the week of our wedding were done online through emails with the Crowne Plaza Dundalk staff, and for that alone they deserve 5 stars.

I was dealing with Samantha for 95% of my planning for my wedding, she was fantastic to deal with - sending me pictures, checklists, ideas, floor plans and anything I asked for, along with her ideas and comments right up until a few days before the wedding. When I came in for my final checks and first face-to-face she was away and left me in the hands of the lovely Veronica. I should mention that Samantha had done pretty much all of the planning and had everything in order so once Veronica went through it all again with me and my fiancé, we felt completely at ease and excited for our big day.

We had 220 guests at our wedding and each and every one commented that the food was amazing, the staff were fantastic and they were so surprised at how fantastic the Crowne Plaza had been throughout the whole day. Nothing was an issue on the day, we had Peter running the whole show and he could not have been more attentive to myself and my husband making sure we always had a drink and we were happy.

They kept the bars open as late as they could for us and our guests and even when there was strange meal requests at the last minute they sorted it out no problem.
They even went as far as collecting gifts and cards from guests and holding them all for us until we checked out.

We honestly could not have asked for more off them and could not recommend them more highly as a wedding venue!

Room Tip: Ask for one on a higher floor to get an amazing view!
1 Thank Sran_Sran
wickford
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

I really can't fault this hotel. A group of 9 of us, including a small baby stayed in 4 rooms for 2 nights as we were invited to a wedding there. All 4 rooms were immaculate and had everything we needed in them even down to and iron and ironing board which I reluctantly had to use. One of our rooms was a disabled room which suited our guests needs although the bed was a little high.
The staff are amazing, friendly, professional and very efficient. Nothing is ever too much trouble for them. Check in and check out was very quick and every service is undertaken with a smile.
Their wedding venue was lovely and well decorated to the bride and groom's specifications.
So friendly whilst staying professional.
Well done to everyone that works there and to the management for getting things right when so many other hotels chains fail to offer such an all round great experience.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank quslt
school
Reviewed 23 August 2014

I have just come back from an overnight stay in The Crowne Plaza in Dundalk as I was attending a wedding in Darver Castle it is a lovely well run hotel and I would highly recommend it is a lovely quite hotel with god breakfast

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank catherineSchool
Dublin Ireland
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Since some of our previous stay was marred by a room cleaning error, they owed us a discount on our next visit. It was exactly a year ago since our last visit and we only had an overnight stay that time, on our way up to the Antrim coast. This time we wanted to have a two night stay, for a bit of r&r to ourselves.
We had a junior suite on the twelfth floor which had fantastic views over the mountains of Mourne and Blackrock bay, and we could also see some of Dundalk town. The room was very spacious with a luxurious bathroom, a lounge area, and the most comfortable bed I had been on in a hotel for ages. When we got to look at the bed, we noticed they had left a sleep help pack on it, which contained a scented spray for the pillows, and a roll on that you put on your wrists and temples, a nice touch that does actually help you to sleep well. In my opinion, the room was quite dusty, especially around the mirrors and light shades, could do with some slight improvements in that area. The staff were excellent, especially Amanda, who was very compassionate to my wife, and who arranged the whole stay. We ocasion to call a manager to the room to fix the sound on our tv, an eastern European guy whose name evades me at the moment. He was extremely helpful and an all round nice chap.
One of the nights we had a meal included in our package, which we could choose from the a la carte, and pay the surplus on items that were not included. I chose a chicke dish which was marinated in honey and tarragon, and served in a filo pastry type basket. Sounded lovely in writing, but just did not look great when it arrived. We both opted for the fillet steak, which was ten euro extra, and decided to forgoe the veg, which sounded like what I call, "Lazy chef veg". Carrot batons, broccoli and something else.
The breakfast was very good, and was the usual buffet style, and had a great selection available. They also had a chef behind the buffet counter doing the eggs to order, which was a nice touch.
The view from the dining room, which is on the thirteenth floor, is also very spectacular. I am sure I will be back at some stage to the hotel, but I wont be actually waiting with baited breath to do it.

Room Tip: Go for the higher floors, ask specifically for non smoking, although the smell of smoke seems to com...
Reviewed 22 August 2014

When I booked this hotel I clearly stated that the booking was for 2 adults and 3 children. The rate we were given was for 3 nights b & b & 1 eve meal. When we went to the bar/restaurant for our eve meal we were not allowed to choose from the A La Carte Menu, it was only a small bar menu that we could use. It didn't have any dinners on it only bangers & mash, chicken strips & chips etc. They then told us we would have to pay for 1 of our children's meal as it was standard policy to give a rate for 2 adults and 2 children. When we explained about the package we were given they said that would allow each child a main course each. We explained again about the package and they eventually told us all the children could eat free. At the end of the meal they sent a different waitress to the table and we were give a bill for the adult dinners only. They tried their best to get us to sign for our dinner bill. As you can imagine we were not impressed. It was all very unorganised and very annoying. The restaurant in the hotel did not open sun - thurs, so our only option was to eat in the bar. It is not that big so we found it very hard to get seating. We were also got dirty glasses for our dinner, chipped cups for breakfast. Obviously the bedrooms were not cleaned properly as we found a set of smelly socks in the bedroom.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Leit0101
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Dundalk, responded to this review, 7 September 2014
Dear Leit0101,

Thank you for your recent stay and for leaving us a feedback. Providing excellent customer service is one of the things we pride ourselves in and we are sorry to read that in this case you feel we have fallen short of your expectations. Our apologies for the shortcomings regarding the food selection and room cleanliness. Please know that this experience is not reflective of our daily high standards.

I can assure you that your feedback will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Tracy V.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dundalk
Carrickdale Hotel
Four Seasons Hotel
Four Seasons Hotel
#1 of 2 in Carlingford
Canal Court Hotel & Spa

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Dundalk? Share your experiences!